Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

1. replace rack and pinion (1 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer steering problems

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

May 192007

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L Sohc

I own an 02' Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L that i bought used in Feb 06' . I have put 150,000 Kms since I've owned it, and altogether, has 289,000 KMs on it. I had the Rack and Pinion removed in May of 07', as the main seal was leaking and I lost my power steering. It cost me $1121.60 to replace it. I took it in to the Ford Dealer to have it looked over as I was traveling 7800 Kms in 2 weeks, and needed to ensure it was still mechanically fit, and I could feel the "play" in the steering. They tell me it needs the rack and pinion replaced AGAIN. After 47,000 KMs???? How is this possible? How many of you have replaced a rack and pinion in your vehicle's lifetime? Imagine having to have gone through 2 plus the original, before even reaching 300,000 KMs ??? Fords wonderful warranty on the part was a pathetic 1 year, 20,000 KM warranty!!! What a croc!! Canadian Tire offers a LIFETIME WARRANTY for theirs!

Well I sent an email to Ford, so we'll see what kind of response I get if any, to my very blunt concerns and thoughts!!

- , Calgary, AB, Canada