8.1

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (236 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (55 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (12 reports)
  5. dodge should have recalled (3 reports)
  6. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 19)

Jul 012003

Ram 1500 5.9L

I read the NY Times article and found this website. I was really bothered by the comments from the Dodge representative. I bought my truck from an aftermarket Dodge dealer. It was a 2002 rental truck and had 9800 miles. Within the year my first crack appeared. I took it to Dodge in 2003 and they told me the dash would not be replaced under warranty or due to defect. I was extremely surprised due to the age of the vehicle and the size of the crack.

At the time of the first crack, the Internet was still relatively slow (due to dial up speeds) and I really didn't use it very often. But I'm sure Dodge was very aware of the problem with their dashboards. I was unaware that so many other people had this issue until several years later when I searched the Internet after several more cracks appeared. My truck now has 117,000 lightly used miles. I've always parked it in our garage. I take excellent care of my truck. This is a problem that was not caused by my actions and I'm disappointed with Dodge's customer service.

Because of the dash, and some electrical issues, I've never recommended a Dodge to people. I would not purchase another because they don't stand by their product. It's too bad, because I love so many things about my truck, and I would like to tell everyone what a great experience I've had.

- , Brentwood, CA, USA

Dec 102013

Ram 1500 4.7L

I had a dash cover on dash after signs of first crack. Now dash has totally fallen apart

- , Delhi, CA, USA

Dec 022009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

THE DASH BOARD IS COMPLETLY FALLING APART FROM CRACKS. HEAVEN HELP ME IF I GET INTO AN ACCIDENT AND THE AIR BAGS DEPLOY. THE AIR BAG WOULD SAVE ME BUT THE SHARDS OF LARGE PLASTIC PIECES FROM THE DASH THE AIR BAGS SEND FLYING WILL KILL ME. DON'T BUY A DODGE RAM PICKUP, THEY DON'T STAND BEHIND THEM.

- , Lewisville, TX, USA

Jan 012009

Ram 1500 4.7L

Cracks started 3 years ago. Now it's really bad and causing electrical failure, so I'm really upset. Chrysler does nothing?

- , Santa Ana, CA, USA

Jan 012004

Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L

This is my truck and every Ram I see has the same problem. Putting a heater core in a customers 1999 ram is horrible because his dash came out in pieces and can't be fixed without replacement.

- , Mesquite, TX, USA

Sep 102013

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

A quality car manufacturer should produce a quality product and this aint it! Fix it Chrysler and I will buy another of your trucks or else I go to GM or Ford!

- , Folsom, CA, USA

Jul 172013

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

My dash on my 02 Dodge Ram just started cracking , it now has major cracks running threw it. This is now a big problem since my heater core needs changing out and my dash will crack apart if I mess with it. I brought this truck brand new in 02!

- , Memphis, TN, USA

Sep 122013

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

This really happened quite fast wasn't there a short while back I take real good care of my stuff, enough to where I get given a hard time by friends and family..I bought this truck new in 2002 (one owner) its been a good truck but this is unexceptable!!! If Dodge doesn't do something about this I am going to bad mouth them the rest of my life...I won't let anyone sit in passanger side, if that airbag deploys its going to be like a bomb full of plastic went off in your face!....There are 3 big cracks, I noticed there was a few pieces of plastic missing from the vent area stuck my finger in there and one just fell out (unbeliveable) THIS IS NOT FROM HEAT OR LACK OF MAINTAINACE....!

COME ON DODGE SAFETY FIRST!

- , Sherwood, OR, USA

Jul 172008

Ram 1500

I will NEVER buy another Dodge again. I had a feeling I was making a mistake buying this truck when all my friends teased me about it. I had no idea that I would have this much trouble with it.

So what that the truck runs good; Its suppose to run good. I believe this company owes me an apology for putting crap on the truck and then acting like it's suppose to fall apart because of the "Texas Heat". Well, they can forget ever having me as a customer again. And not only that but I take less pride in my truck now and more pride in telling everyone I come across that buying a Dodge was the biggest mistake I have ever made. And to think of how proud I was sitting in the dealers office listening to that crap about "You should be so proud sir, this is the second biggest purchase you can make only second to you house"

Well he was right, second biggest purchase, but buying a Dodge came in first as my biggest mistake ever. What say you now Dodge? Are you going to stand by your product and do the right thing or slither back into you mansions knowing that once again you suckered another person into buying your crap. DO THE RIGHT THING AND FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Wharton, TX, USA

May 242012

Ram 1500 4x4 Sport 4.7L

dash cracked all to hell

What the hells up with dodge/ cheap plastic garbage! I clean my truck faithfully once a week and that includes armorall the dash but it didnt help obviously. almost like they appeared over night. start by the windshielsd and comes straight twords u. not just one but like 5 or 6. pisses me off because other than that my truck is spotless on the inside! hell if nothing else they(dodge) should give us a discount on the replacement piece butb we all know that wont happen. greedy sobs

- , Edinburgh, IN, USA

May 092012

Ram 1500 LST

Horrible. After I get rid of this vehicle I will not buy another Dodge/Chrysler vehicle. My dashboard is crumbling before my eyes. Started off with a small crack that grew over a period of time. And then another....and another...and another. Then my Vent grates started to disintergrate into my vents. Had several pieces actually thrown out at me. My dashboard is almost completely cut in half by the cracks.

And what do we get for this? No recall. We pay $1000 to get it fixed? Why? Because we were stupid enough to buy a Dodge truck in the first place. "RAM TOUGH" They are not talking about the vehicle, they are talking about how tough it is to get satisfaction with a vehicle you purchase from them. Won't make that mistake anymore and will definitely tell anyone else out there that wants to buy a piece of crap truck with no support for the customer that Dodge is the way to go. Otherwise, go somewhere else.

- , Little Rock, AR, USA

Dec 012007

Ram 1500 5.9L

We bought this truck new. The truck is 10 years old. The dash started cracking after about 3 years. its hard to believe that the goverment has not stepped in, and forced a recall. It won't be long,and I will need a new truck. I don't like ford or Chevy. Looks like I might have to choose a Ford or Chevy. I wonder if they will stand behind there trucks?

- , Mesick, MI, USA

Mar 152010

Ram 1500 4.7V8

i think dodge manufacturers ought to have to pay for the repairs. i bought this truck new so dodge should have to cover the repairs because with so many complaints its definitely a flaw/defect in the material. they say its because of poor maintenance ,with all the complaints everyone knows that's not so. i personally have bought my last dodge product.

- , hindman, KY, USA

Mar 202011

Ram 1500 5.7L

I am pretty pissed off that my dashboard cracked and Dodge does not replace a faulty product. I paid over 1,000 dollars to have a cap put on, but that did not cover the vents, so the vents are exposed. I also paid 400 dollars for a new cover to go over the new cap over the cracked dashboard! When I decide to buy a new vehicle i don't think i will buy a Dodge again, since they won't cover the replacement of the dashboard. Thats to bad cause i really like Dodge, but their customer service to not good at all!

- , Hayward, CA, USA

May 112013

Ram 1500 LX 3.2L V6

I started to see straight hair-line cracks in dash board and I swear they have gotten bigger as the weeks go by. Before it was hardly noticeable and now the cracks 6-10 inches in length and growing! I started looking around for a solution then discovered to my dismay that many, many, many Dodge Ram (1500) owners have experienced the same problem. Some have even had dash boards cave in (my brother in-law) where you can actually see the wiring and a/c ducts showing. Un-freaking believable,,,,,, and I think mine will soon be that way. I like the vehicle, it's just crazy that the dash started doing this for no apparent reason other than manufacturer defect or poor quality plastic. Really sucks. : (

- , Freeport, TX, USA

Mar 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

How is it that when you spend upwards of $32,000 on a new truck the dashboard falls apart a few years later....and Dodge will do NOTHING about it.....that's bullshit.

I'll NEVER buy a Dodge again!!

If something happens to myself or a family member due to this...as in getting cut or god forbid killed because of this dashboard flaw...I'll sue the livin sh*t out of Dodge, I'll go on every news show known to man and bad mouth them and tear them apart because they refuse to fix this issue

- , Milton, FL, USA

May 012007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

This problem is seriously for the damn birds. I work for a major corporation and if we ran our business like Chrysler Co. seems to, I would have been out of a job a long, long time ago. You sorry bastards make a product for the general public. Did you not think that we would have a problem with things falling apart on something we paid hard earned money for? My dash got so bad that I finally had to take it completely out so that my children didn't stab themselves with a chard of plastic. And you don't even know the crap I've been taking from friends and coworkers because my 2002 Dodge doesn't have a dash. I paid you 20 grand for this truck. Fix my damn dash!!!!!

- , Campobello, SC, USA

Jan 012009

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L

I've had to replace both ignition switches ,seat recliner mechanism broke off ,check engine light is on ,has some starting issues ,and this is with 53,000 miles on the truck .

- , Goldendale, WA, USA

Mar 232013

Ram 1500 ST 4.7L

This is absolutely rediculous! This is my first Dodge ever and I must say I really liked it until the dash completely disentegrated into shards of plastic!!! Very very sharp edges and points! You guys serioiusly need to recall this! Own up to the fact that the plastic is faulty and replace them. You cant say that it is due to not taking care of it. Have you ever heard of any other vehicles that had soo many with the same problem?? I mean I have heard of the random dash crack, but I never in my life have seen anything like this. For me to be able to just gently touch the dash and have it shatter blows my mind! Take care of it or lose another customer!!

- , Honolulu, HI, USA

May 022011

Ram 1500

Entire dash is cracked. Vent grates have deteriorated and fallen into the ducting.

- , Cleveland, TX, USA