CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (274 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (95 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (15 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 25)

May 152016

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

My dashboard is falling apart! It's literally crumbling and cracking. The "vented" openings for in dash speakers are GONE, the dash is in two parts and it has cracks from the windshield to the top edge of the horizontal surface nearest the seats. The materials (plastic) used for the dash in Dodge trucks is substandard, this is not an isolated case. Look at the number of complaints. It's ridiculous for customers to pay to fix a problem caused by Dodge using poor materials for the dash, especially trucks manufactured between 2001-2003.

- , Colorado Springs, CO, US

Jan 302007

Ram 1500 ES 3.2lV6

The dash on my truck is in pieces. I am not happy about it, this is a problem that needs to be taken care of for safety reasons and it looks real bad. I called dodge for price to repair it, they told me it would be around 2500 dollars. I am very unhappy. I will never buy a dodge ram truck again.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 012016

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

My 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 truck, developed several cracks on both the upper and lower dash panels. Now concerned the cracks will intersect and allow for large pieces to break off as reported by thousands of other owners. The cracks are unsightly and will eventually become a safety concern.

I am very disappointed in Dodge not taking ownership and responsibility for what is 100% their poorly engineered product. The fact that the cracks are due to age and heat sun exposure is the reason for the cracks as claimed by Dodge is disgraceful. I have a 2001 Toyota Avalon with 215,000 miles on it and the dash is in perfect condition. The Avalon had the same amount of heat and sun exposure as the Dodge Truck.

Shame on Dodge for turning their backs on their customers and waiting for a fatality to take place before they act is shameful. Hey Dodge! Didn't the tax payers give you millions of dollars to bail you out of a financial crises? How about showing your appreciation and now help out your customers that have defective products before someone is killed or seriously injured.

- , Collierville, US

Aug 082006

Ram 1500 4.7L

i DON'T understand why Dodge hasn't replaced the dashboards or done a recall on this.

- , Gainesville, US

Jun 012008

Ram 1500 LT 4.7L V8

The problem once it started only took a few months to completely break apart. The dash is defective and Dodge has a responsibility to fix and replace the dash.

- , Bronson, FL, US

Nov 012006

Ram 1500 Lone Star 4.7L V8

The dash falling apart is a common problem with these vehicles, especially in the early 2000 models. This causes multiple problems, including where the defroster no longer blows correctly to defog the windshield. This is a driving safety issue.

- , Lewisville, TX, US

May 012016

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

The dashboard on my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 is getting worse and worse by the day. The plastic is so brittle and fragile, that it is impossible to try to fix. Touching the dash only causes it to crack more. This has been developing over the past year but is suddenly getting much worse. Dodge should offer a replacement dash.

- , Torrance, US

Feb 152011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Dodge should have to fix the dash. Parts of the dash have fallen into the fan vents. pieces have fallen off when ive hit potholes

- , Rockwall, US

Jan 172017

Ram 1500 Hemi

What is the deal with cracking dashboards? After this many years you would think they could figure this out.

- , Keller, TX, USA

Sep 062008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Just wish they would stand behind their product. It's a safety hazard and look horrible. I have 3 cracks through the vent piece. 2 cracks in the larger piece above my radio. The cracks are all the way through. i can't touch until i buy a new 2 part upper dash otherwise i will have more pieces to deal with. parts to replace range from aftermarket to OEM $600-1000.Dodge just needs to step-up and Make it right!

- , Moun, WA, USA

Dec 012010

Ram 1500 XLT 4.7 LITER v8

Dodge should be ashamed of the product they are turning out. They might only say it's a dashboard and it cosmetic. It ruined the hole look of the truck and is a safety issue with pieces of plastic dropping down in the vent. It's no wonder people are buying foreign cars and trucks no a days. They are the only ones made worth a crap anymore.

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Oct 302004

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

All these trucks need to be recalled the dash is a can be dangerous it looks very bad

- , Sevierville, TN, USA

Aug 032015

Ram 1500 360V8

The truck was a city work truck i bought in Aug 2015. . Has a dashboard cover so broken dash was not noticed, but it had begun to CRUMBLE. . NOT A REPAIRABLE BREAK.

NOW ON NOVEMBER 7, 2016 the front piece with the vents and radio has broken in several places though ZERO STRESS HAS BEEN INFLICTED ON EITHER.other than the weight of the cover.

Got on the internet to look for another one and freaked out at the price.. Glad I found this site cause that is unacceptable, and even if I bought one it would probably be also defective and unable to take the Texas heat if Dodge did not make sure to buy better ones for replacement ..

- , Lampasas, TX, USA

Apr 042014

Ram 1500 SLT 4.8L

The dashboard has broken and is falling into the vents and every time I turn the air conditioning on I get plastic blowing all over the windshield.

- , Terrell, TX, USA

Sep 082015

Ram 1500 SLT V8

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard

Bad car. Don't buy it because I bought the Ram 1500 slt but dashboard is bad, so don't buy it. The dashboard will crack after a few years. I traded it at Dodge dealer and bought a Toyota tundra because Tundras don't crack.

- , Nyc, USA

Jun 292016

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I never realized how bad the dash was until this morning when I was doing a through detailing of my truck. I had seen one small crack a few years ago but didn't consider it a big deal at the time. But now there are several cracks running from the windshield to the front of the dash. Any pressure at all on the dash makes them spread open. I've had many vehicles over the years and have never had any of them with cracks in the dash. Even my old Rambler never had any cracks in the dash. From all of the complaints I see on line, there apparently is a problem with the material that Chrysler used in the production of these dash boards. I've been considering getting a new truck but now I have to repair the dash first and then rethink if I will get another Dodge/Ram truck. Considering my truck only has 54,000 miles on it, even though it is 14 years old, I think its pretty piss poor I have to worry about the condition of the dash before I can think about replacing the vehicle.

- , Willow Grove, PA, USA

Sep 012010

Ram 1500 Ram 1500 4.7L

This cracked broken dash is a safety hazard. It hurts resale value and pieces of it have fallen down in so that baffles in air box don't open and close correctly, so air is warm and heat is cool. It sucks and I won't purchase another Dodge.

- , Winston Salem, NC, US

Aug 292014

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L

Obviously I am not the only Person with a dash that is cracked and continuing to crack. Dodge touted quality and workmanship. that certainly was a load of crap. My biggest complaint is the cracked dash, but I have also had paint issues 1 year after buying the truck. I have complained, but to no avail. Only have 115K on my 2002 but I think I have had enough. Next truck will not be a Dodge regardless of al the Slick ads.

- , Scranton, PA, USA

Oct 012014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

Dash cracked to pieces on the front part close to windshield, rear portion has one big crack all the way across and is very brittle as you can poke a hole in it with a little pressure with ones finger. Would hate for the airbag to blow all these sharp pieces of broken plastic into the occupants..

- , Meridian, MS, US

Sep 032008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I was told that this was my fault and didn't care for it properly so I fixed it myself. Then four years later the same thing and now there's hardly anything left of the dash and it makes the truck ugly as hell to be such a good truck. I wished that Dodge will at least reimburse me so that I can purchase a cover or something.

- , Franklin, KY, USA