CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (258 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (87 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (13 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 24)

Jul 232015

Ram 1500

The end of July 2015 I noticed a large crack in the dash of my Dodge Ram 1500 truck, and now 8/10/15 I have noticed 2 more cracks have started. I always have sun shields in when truck is parked. I take very good care of my truck, so for this to start happening is very frustrating. Now I am not sure when the cracking will stop.

- , Richland, WA, USA

Jul 192013

Ram 1500 SLT Plus Quad Cab SB 5.9L 245 V8

This was my company car from 2008 - 2015.

I got this car in 2008. It had been mine for about a year when i realized that it came with exclusive aftermarket accessories, such as excessive rust around the rear wheel wells, a heater that only works on one side of the car, and an air conditioner that blew hot air when the car was stopped!

One day, I was approaching the car with keys in hand. I accidentally dropped them near the rear wheel (which, by this point, was rusted through). As I bend down, I scratch my arm on the rust! So, one tetanus shot later, the steering starts to shake really bad, and I find out that the rack and pinion fail! And I only had this car for 4 years! And, TO PUT THE CHERRY ON TOP, a crack appears in then dash. It enlarges over the next few months, and, at one point, I go into the car to find out that the DASH CAVED IN ON ITSELF! Wires must've either been clipped by the plastic dash falling in or melted by the sun, because soon after that, multiple speakers in the car stopped working and the hazards and turn signals stopped working! Once, while I was driving with the windows open, a piece of the dash flew up and cut the back of my hand. Luckily I did not need stitches .The only reason I kept it was because it was either keep driving this, or risk damaging my new Nissan Maxima. And , FINALLY, after 7 LONG, BITTER YEARS OF STRUGGLE, I GET A 2015 NISSAN MURANO TO REPLACE THE RAM!!!

I really don't know why THIS model year Ram is so faulty. I mean, my friend drives an '93 Ram 250 with over 200,000 miles on it, and it still works fine, with the common problems for other cars it's age and mileage! I don't understand why the 1500s took such a wrong turn!

- , Long Island, NY, USA

Jun 192015

Ram 1500 Quad 5.9L

I thought it was just sun when the first crack started so I bought a dash soft cover. Over the years the dash has caved in on itself so cracked into tiny pieces. I called Dodge but they said it was out of warranty and just cosmetic. Yesterday I had to slam on the brakes to prevent hitting a deer, when a large pice flew to the back seat and cut my 3 year old grandson's arm. This is ridiculous! I can't afford the thousand dollars for a new dash so I have searched wrecking yards all of them tell me they have none as all their dashes are cracked as well. So I began to research it only to find every Dodge owner of this year has this problem. I have a friend who works for Dodge Dealer in Atlanta GA who told me "even if you bought one from us it would do the same thing, maybe you can find an aftermarket and have a better product"

This is not acceptable. Chrysler needs to own up to its problem and offer us a dash board credit or replace our dashes or some lawyer needs to file a class action suit. What's it going to take, someone getting and taken out before the federal transportation committee? Recall these Dodge problems?

- , Sabinal, TX, USA

Dec 152005

Ram 1500 SL V6

The dash had two cracks when I bought it from the dealer in 2005. Over the years it has continued to literally disintegrate! Now the smaller pieces vibrate off and fall inward, or fly off into the cabin when the truck windows are rolled down. This is definitely a hazard to my eyes now! I wear sunglasses in the day, and have had a piece hit just above my eyes once.

- , Davie, FL, USA

Aug 012013

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I have 2 large cracks in my dashboard in my 2002 Dodge Ram Pickup. I have worked very hard to keep up the condition of my truck and this makes it look like crap.

- , Clinton Township, MI, USA

May 202014

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

My ac evaporator core had gone out years ago and I needed to replace it but due to the dashboard cracking problem I didn't want to chance pulling the dash. I have the replacement evaporator core and heater core waiting for when the inevitable happened.

It should be mentioned that the only time the truck is in direct sunlight is when I at work (about 7 days a month on day shift). Possibly this is how it made it so long.

Anyway, the dash finally cracked and I decided to go ahead with the ac repair. The second I started trying to get the anels off, not only did the front part of the dash start crumbling but the rest of the dash started popping and cracking. That's with only removing the 2 side covers which pop in and the front cowl which also pops in. There's no telling what's going to happen when I start taking the bolts that hold the dash to the body loose.

- , Leona, TX, USA

May 102012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I HAVE A 2012 RAM 1500. AFTER THREE YEARS I NOTICED THAT DASH BOARD WAS CRACKING. I WENT TO THE DEALER WHERE I BOUGHT MY TRUCK AND SPOKE TO THE GENERAL MANAGER. HE TOLD ME THAT THERE WAS NOTHING HE COULD DO ABOUT IT, SINCE THE CAR WAS ALREADY OUT OF WARRANTY. I TOLD HIM THAT I HAD PAID LOTS OF MONEY FOR THE CAR AND I WAS EXPECTING A BETTER QUALITY ON THIS CAR. SURE ENOUGH I HAD TO STEP OUT OF THE PLACE WITH EMPTY HANDS. TIME HAS PASSED BY AND TODAY I HAVE NO DASH BOARD ANY MORE.. I SPOKE TO A LOCAL DASHBOARD DEALER THAT SELLS PARTS AND TOLD ME THAT DODGES FROM THOSE YEARS HAVE THAT PROBLEM. I DECIDED TO GET IN TOUCH WITH DODGE. THEY SENT AN E MAIL WHERE THEY STATED THAT THEY WERE SORRY THAT THEY CANNOT HELP ME WITH MY PROBLEM, SINCE THE CAR IS OUT OF WARRANTY. IT IS REALLY FRUSTRATING AFTER YOU SO MUCH MONEY FOR A CAR THAT IT IS FALLING OFF IN PIECES.

- , Homestead, FL, USA

Sep 012013

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Really disappointed in dodge for dodging the bullet on fixing the dash board issues, it's an older car ok then I say don't buy a dodge ever because it will become an older model, it's evident and clear that dodge has an issue with their dashboards and even other components, so why try to deny it.

I have a real predicament, don't have A/C because the evaporator core(another known problem on these) therefore need to drive with the windows down at the risk of catching a flying piece of sharp dashboard and potentially endangering other drivers or really anyone on the street for that matter.

always owned Honda and have never had an issue of this sort, what a shame on an "north american" car company like dodge knowing foreign cars are better, safer and have better longevity!!

theres no point in "making" a vehicle safer with air bags and expensive equipment if this same equipment can create a hazardous scenario, clearly a manufacturers malfunction and dodge should accept full resposability.

what would the dodge brothers do!?!?!?!

- , kissimmee, FL, USA

Jan 202015

Ram 1500 4.7L

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard

Cracks started throughout the dashboard. Not sure why, but it won't be long until pieces start to fall in and expose critical components of the vehicle (i.e., electrical wiring, Air Bag,). Exposed equipment could lead to malfunctions that result in injury or death. Please file recall.

- , Waterford, MI, USA

Dec 012008

Ram 1500 4.7

The worst dash I've ever seen. And I have an old 87 Prelude.

Dodge really sucked on this one.

It's always nice to have to wear safety glasses when you turn on the AC so plastic and deteriorated insulation doesn't blow in your eyes.

The only good thing is I've had the issue so long there are fewer pieces left.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Sep 132013

Ram 1500

The dashboard has had some cracks which I considered eyesore issues for several months now. The other day I went to use the truck and quickly noticed that much of the dashboard apparently just fell into the dash area like broken ice on a pond surface. Its horrible, and I'm afraid to drive it due to what is clearly a safety issue and could significantly injure someone in an accident. Big chunks just fell off. The materials were clearly defective.

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 122008

Ram 1500 STL 4.7L V8

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 the all familiar cracked dash epidemic; suprise no support from dealer or manufacturer - as usual. Guess what truck is 12 yrs old and I'm in the market for a new one, New Dodge truck will be on top of my list.... LOL.

- , collierville, TN, USA

Jul 012006

Ram 1500 SL 4.7L V8

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard

The complete dash is crumbling. It is totally unsafe, hazardous.

- , Long Beach, CA, USA

Sep 012010

Ram 1500 LA 4.7L

I feel that Dodge needs to replace the dash at no cost to owners. Pieces have broken off and have cut my hand. That would be the best thing for Dodge to do to keep customers.

- , Leesburg, FL, USA

Oct 182012

Ram 1500 LX 360

i have a 79 trans am with a perfect dash and my 12 year old truck dash is falling in and cracked all the way through in several places. what the hell man.

- , Magnolia, IL, USA

May 012012

Ram 1500 LX V8

Small crack on dash appeared around May of 2012, since then it has continued to crack all over . Looks like someone took a knife to it. I think Dodge should recall this and repair it. Headlights look awful too. Truck were made cheap as heck this year and for 2003 but hte prices certainly didn't go down.

You pay good money for these vehicles and the companies do not back their products. No one is going to want to buy this used vehicle. Also had trouble with the heater and A/C unit.

I know better than to but a Dodge next time. NEVER

- , Lancaster, VA, USA

Dec 222012

Ram 1500 5.2L

My wife got this truck used for Christmas of 2012. My son got it for my wife and I at an auction. Then it has a small hole in the driver's side dash about 3 or 4 inches in diameter. I tried to get the broken piece out and another piece broke out.

I was scraping off my old registration sticker and dropped the scraper which broke out another piece. Trying to get that piece out I cut the back side of my hand on the broken pieces still on the dash. No stitches but just bandages. Set my phone up there and another piece broke out. That piece just crumbled in my hand.Since the dash is part of the crumple zone I hate to think of what would happen in an accident.

I will try to cover it with a piece of rug but the sturdiness of the dash is still compromised.

- , Waskom, TX, USA

Jul 272014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L Magnum

I bought this truck used in 2009 with 54k miles on it. When I bought it, it already had a cracked dash, both myself and the dealer accused the original owner of being negligent and the purchase agreement consisted of them replacing the dashboard. While this truck was in the dealer shop getting a new dash I discovered that prior generations also had this issue so I purchased a nice tan cover. I have left that cover in place for 5 long years and only removed it for the occasional cleaning and plastic protect spray session.

I walked out to my truck to clean the dash as I have several times before and as soon as I start wiping my hand falls into a hole in the dash and I sliced my finger almost to the bone. I had to get 5 stitches because I did not expect the dash to be broken and was wiping pretty quickly. After I get my stitches and return to the vehicle to inspect my dash, it has two large holes and cracks EVERYWHERE! this is insanity.... if I were to take my 4x4 truck off road I might get sliced to ribbons. Imagine if I were ever in an accident? God forbid that in the first place but if your hands hit the dashboard in my truck you might become an amputee. This stuff breaks like glass. Now the dealership wants almost $2000.00 for a new dashboard on top of the $2000.00 I had to pay for my own stitches that they won't cover......

I was a loyal follower of Dodge and Jeeps almost my whole life, I was just looking into purchasing a new 2014 2500 Cummins Mega Cab.. THERE IS NOT A SNOWBALL'S CHANCE IN HELL I WILL EVER SPEND ANOTHER PENNY ON CHRYSLER UNLESS THEY FIX THIS AND PAY FOR MY STITCHES. PERIOD.

I do plan on seeking legal counsel as soon as possible since this resulted in a serious injury and great financial burden. Dodge might have just lost one of it's last true followers as I did everything imaginable to prevent this dashboard from meeting the same fate as the previous one but it appears to be something that will happen until they recall these dashes and replaces them with a softer more reliable material.

- , Santee, CA, USA

Jun 022014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L Cummins

This cracked dash is dangerous because of the broken plastic pieces that would become shrapnel! Dodge used an egg shell like material to make these dashes. Most Dodge owners that I know have this same problem.

- , Moultrie, GA, USA

Sep 232012

Ram 1500

I thought I was the only one with this problem, especially since I am not one to spend a lot of time maintaining the dashboard, at one time I figured it was Mienekie personnel that had cracked my dashboard after it worked on my ac but from all the complaints posted on this problem I now believe that it is just Dodge's way of saving money and putting peoples lives at risk.

It never crossed my mind that my family's lives could be in danger because of this cracked dashboard if involved in an accident although I did worry about the airbag. All I can say is that like always it will take someone's loss of life for these greedy companies to do anything about it. Unfortunately I will probably have to replace it at such a great expense if I can not find another alternative.

- , San Marcos, TX, USA