CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (269 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (90 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (14 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 25)

Aug 032015

Ram 1500 360V8

The truck was a city work truck i bought in Aug 2015. . Has a dashboard cover so broken dash was not noticed, but it had begun to CRUMBLE. . NOT A REPAIRABLE BREAK.

NOW ON NOVEMBER 7, 2016 the front piece with the vents and radio has broken in several places though ZERO STRESS HAS BEEN INFLICTED ON EITHER.other than the weight of the cover.

Got on the internet to look for another one and freaked out at the price.. Glad I found this site cause that is unacceptable, and even if I bought one it would probably be also defective and unable to take the Texas heat if Dodge did not make sure to buy better ones for replacement ..

- , Lampasas, TX, USA

Apr 042014

Ram 1500 SLT 4.8L

The dashboard has broken and is falling into the vents and every time I turn the air conditioning on I get plastic blowing all over the windshield.

- , Terrell, TX, USA

Sep 082015

Ram 1500 SLT V8

cracks in dashboard

Bad car. Don't buy it because I bought the Ram 1500 slt but dashboard is bad, so don't buy it. The dashboard will crack after a few years. I traded it at Dodge dealer and bought a Toyota tundra because Tundras don't crack.

- , Nyc, USA

Jun 292016

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I never realized how bad the dash was until this morning when I was doing a through detailing of my truck. I had seen one small crack a few years ago but didn't consider it a big deal at the time. But now there are several cracks running from the windshield to the front of the dash. Any pressure at all on the dash makes them spread open. I've had many vehicles over the years and have never had any of them with cracks in the dash. Even my old Rambler never had any cracks in the dash. From all of the complaints I see on line, there apparently is a problem with the material that Chrysler used in the production of these dash boards. I've been considering getting a new truck but now I have to repair the dash first and then rethink if I will get another Dodge/Ram truck. Considering my truck only has 54,000 miles on it, even though it is 14 years old, I think its pretty piss poor I have to worry about the condition of the dash before I can think about replacing the vehicle.

- , Willow Grove, PA, USA

Sep 012010

Ram 1500 Ram 1500 4.7L

This cracked broken dash is a safety hazard. It hurts resale value and pieces of it have fallen down in so that baffles in air box don't open and close correctly, so air is warm and heat is cool. It sucks and I won't purchase another Dodge.

- , Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Aug 292014

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L

Obviously I am not the only Person with a dash that is cracked and continuing to crack. Dodge touted quality and workmanship. that certainly was a load of crap. My biggest complaint is the cracked dash, but I have also had paint issues 1 year after buying the truck. I have complained, but to no avail. Only have 115K on my 2002 but I think I have had enough. Next truck will not be a Dodge regardless of al the Slick ads.

- , Scranton, PA, USA

Oct 012014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

Dash cracked to pieces on the front part close to windshield, rear portion has one big crack all the way across and is very brittle as you can poke a hole in it with a little pressure with ones finger. Would hate for the airbag to blow all these sharp pieces of broken plastic into the occupants..

- , Meridian, MS, USA

Sep 032008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I was told that this was my fault and didn't care for it properly so I fixed it myself. Then four years later the same thing and now there's hardly anything left of the dash and it makes the truck ugly as hell to be such a good truck. I wished that Dodge will at least reimburse me so that I can purchase a cover or something.

- , Franklin, KY, USA

Oct 312015

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

I have had several vehicles over the years some that were 10-15 years old and never had the dash board crack. I have seen cars that are 20 or more years old and there dash boards are not cracked. This is a safety problem if I was to get into an accident the pieces form the dash could possibly become shrapnel an cause serious damage or death to me or anyone in the truck with me not to mention the possibility of pieces falling into the vent and blowing in my eyes while driving and cause and accident that could lead to my death anyone in my truck or anyone else on the road this is a major safety problem that Dodge needs to address and recall

- , Shelbyville, TN, USA

Jun 142014

Ram 1500 SLT 4.9L

cracks in dashboard

The defroster vents were the first to go. Pieces broke off and fell down into the vent system. I removed all four vents and replaced them with brass wire screen formed over a wood block that was shaped like the originals.

A few months later the forward section of the top started crumbling in large sections. I removed it and contoured a hard wood board to replace the plastic. Soon the rear-ward section (nearest the seats) started cracking with large pieces falling off around the side window vents.

I had to replace the radio due to the DVD player not working. Upon pulling the front dash panels off I noticed that most of the clips that hold them in place are broken off. I re-glued what I could but my efforts were in vain.

The plastic catches on the ash tray door and the cup holder assembly were broken and I fabricated metal ones that will work until the rest of the plastic disintegrates.

Conclusion: Replacing the dashboard top covers (2 pieces) would be futile. The entire dashboard with all its panels should be replaced. Dodge needs to admit they used inferior plastic in 2002 and recall the truck.

- , Lamar, CO, USA

Sep 182015

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I take great care of my truck in fact this truck has spent most of the years that I have owned it in the garage when not in use.The dash started to have a small crack near the defroster vents and then within a month the entire dash started disintegrating. I have owned all types of trucks and cars and have never seen anything like this.It is clearly a manufacturing defect.

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 302006

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L

I have checked and it cost too much for me. I feel it is a safety issue. In case of air bag deploying it would send pieces flying and could injure occupants.

- , Port Isabel, USA

Jul 012008

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L

As wide spread as this is i think they should fix the problem

- , Morganton, USA

Oct 102011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

bad cracks in the dash and on the sides and in the front all need to be fix by Dodge for bad parts, could cause serious problems and or death if not fix.

- , Calumet, OK, USA

Sep 012015

Ram 1500 SET

I am 65 and my husband is 75. Our dashboard is literally falling off of our vehicle. The wiring and other components are exposed due to the failure of this dash.

I we drive with the windows down and nothing covering the dash, pieces flap and we are afraid they will fly off and hit us.

This is a prevalent and potentially dangerous problem. The cracks are razor sharp so when I tried to line them up, I was nicked in the finger.

Dodge needs to make this right. We are not in the position of buying another vehicle so we need this one to last, unfortunately if this keeps up, there will be more than a dash to replace when the wires, etc under it start to become affected.

- , Wickenburg, AZ, USA

Nov 132013

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

The dash board is literally breaking into pieces like a mirror dropped on the ground. It looks terrible and is progressively getting worse. There are dozens of cracks all over the dash

- , Siler City, USA

Apr 162007

Ram 1500

The entire dashboard is cracked in many places and is falling into the air conditioner vents and everything else under the dash. The foam under the dash is flying out the air condition vents.

- , Jupiter, FL, USA

Oct 012014

Ram 1500

The cracks started off as small and minor, but now have grown into awful large, cracks, and caving in. No way to sell or trade this vehicle with it looking like this. As I have read, with as many listed with the same problem, I would think it would be defective/poor craftsmanship on the dash itself. Dodge should have to do something about these complaints!

- , Cottondale, AL, USA

Jun 012015

Ram 1500 Quad 5.9L V8

Cheap plastic used under extreme temperature exposures both hot and cold causes expanding and contracting, end result shattered plastic and a level of protection becomes a disfigurement or loss of type injury. Regardless of length of time, warranty, or classification of part. This is a good example of not responding to the safety concerns, and of cutting corners to save a buck.

- , Graham, NC, USA

Jun 012012

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L

I had a 1999 Ram and a 2002 Ram and both of the dashes cracked really bad. This is a constant problem with these vehicles. I don't know if this is a common problem with other vehicles but it is a pain in the ass and looks terrible as it is a blemish on Dodges quality.

- , Frankfort, IN, USA