CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (264 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (90 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (14 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 24)

Oct 312015

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

I have had several vehicles over the years some that were 10-15 years old and never had the dash board crack. I have seen cars that are 20 or more years old and there dash boards are not cracked. This is a safety problem if I was to get into an accident the pieces form the dash could possibly become shrapnel an cause serious damage or death to me or anyone in the truck with me not to mention the possibility of pieces falling into the vent and blowing in my eyes while driving and cause and accident that could lead to my death anyone in my truck or anyone else on the road this is a major safety problem that Dodge needs to address and recall

- , Shelbyville, TN, USA

Jun 142014

Ram 1500 SLT 4.9L

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard

The defroster vents were the first to go. Pieces broke off and fell down into the vent system. I removed all four vents and replaced them with brass wire screen formed over a wood block that was shaped like the originals.

A few months later the forward section of the top started crumbling in large sections. I removed it and contoured a hard wood board to replace the plastic. Soon the rear-ward section (nearest the seats) started cracking with large pieces falling off around the side window vents.

I had to replace the radio due to the DVD player not working. Upon pulling the front dash panels off I noticed that most of the clips that hold them in place are broken off. I re-glued what I could but my efforts were in vain.

The plastic catches on the ash tray door and the cup holder assembly were broken and I fabricated metal ones that will work until the rest of the plastic disintegrates.

Conclusion: Replacing the dashboard top covers (2 pieces) would be futile. The entire dashboard with all its panels should be replaced. Dodge needs to admit they used inferior plastic in 2002 and recall the truck.

- , Lamar, CO, USA

Sep 182015

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I take great care of my truck in fact this truck has spent most of the years that I have owned it in the garage when not in use.The dash started to have a small crack near the defroster vents and then within a month the entire dash started disintegrating. I have owned all types of trucks and cars and have never seen anything like this.It is clearly a manufacturing defect.

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 302006

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L

I have checked and it cost too much for me. I feel it is a safety issue. In case of air bag deploying it would send pieces flying and could injure occupants.

- , Port Isabel, USA

Jul 012008

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L

As wide spread as this is i think they should fix the problem

- , Morganton, USA

Oct 102011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

bad cracks in the dash and on the sides and in the front all need to be fix by Dodge for bad parts, could cause serious problems and or death if not fix.

- , Calumet, OK, USA

Sep 012015

Ram 1500 SET

I am 65 and my husband is 75. Our dashboard is literally falling off of our vehicle. The wiring and other components are exposed due to the failure of this dash.

I we drive with the windows down and nothing covering the dash, pieces flap and we are afraid they will fly off and hit us.

This is a prevalent and potentially dangerous problem. The cracks are razor sharp so when I tried to line them up, I was nicked in the finger.

Dodge needs to make this right. We are not in the position of buying another vehicle so we need this one to last, unfortunately if this keeps up, there will be more than a dash to replace when the wires, etc under it start to become affected.

- , Wickenburg, AZ, USA

Nov 132013

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

The dash board is literally breaking into pieces like a mirror dropped on the ground. It looks terrible and is progressively getting worse. There are dozens of cracks all over the dash

- , Siler City, USA

Apr 162007

Ram 1500

The entire dashboard is cracked in many places and is falling into the air conditioner vents and everything else under the dash. The foam under the dash is flying out the air condition vents.

- , Jupiter, FL, USA

Oct 012014

Ram 1500

The cracks started off as small and minor, but now have grown into awful large, cracks, and caving in. No way to sell or trade this vehicle with it looking like this. As I have read, with as many listed with the same problem, I would think it would be defective/poor craftsmanship on the dash itself. Dodge should have to do something about these complaints!

- , Cottondale, AL, USA

Jun 012015

Ram 1500 Quad 5.9L V8

Cheap plastic used under extreme temperature exposures both hot and cold causes expanding and contracting, end result shattered plastic and a level of protection becomes a disfigurement or loss of type injury. Regardless of length of time, warranty, or classification of part. This is a good example of not responding to the safety concerns, and of cutting corners to save a buck.

- , Graham, NC, USA

Jun 012012

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L

I had a 1999 Ram and a 2002 Ram and both of the dashes cracked really bad. This is a constant problem with these vehicles. I don't know if this is a common problem with other vehicles but it is a pain in the ass and looks terrible as it is a blemish on Dodges quality.

- , Frankfort, IN, USA

Jul 232015

Ram 1500

The end of July 2015 I noticed a large crack in the dash of my Dodge Ram 1500 truck, and now 8/10/15 I have noticed 2 more cracks have started. I always have sun shields in when truck is parked. I take very good care of my truck, so for this to start happening is very frustrating. Now I am not sure when the cracking will stop.

- , Richland, WA, USA

Jul 192013

Ram 1500 SLT Plus Quad Cab SB 5.9L 245 V8

This was my company car from 2008 - 2015.

I got this car in 2008. It had been mine for about a year when i realized that it came with exclusive aftermarket accessories, such as excessive rust around the rear wheel wells, a heater that only works on one side of the car, and an air conditioner that blew hot air when the car was stopped!

One day, I was approaching the car with keys in hand. I accidentally dropped them near the rear wheel (which, by this point, was rusted through). As I bend down, I scratch my arm on the rust! So, one tetanus shot later, the steering starts to shake really bad, and I find out that the rack and pinion fail! And I only had this car for 4 years! And, TO PUT THE CHERRY ON TOP, a crack appears in then dash. It enlarges over the next few months, and, at one point, I go into the car to find out that the DASH CAVED IN ON ITSELF! Wires must've either been clipped by the plastic dash falling in or melted by the sun, because soon after that, multiple speakers in the car stopped working and the hazards and turn signals stopped working! Once, while I was driving with the windows open, a piece of the dash flew up and cut the back of my hand. Luckily I did not need stitches .The only reason I kept it was because it was either keep driving this, or risk damaging my new Nissan Maxima. And , FINALLY, after 7 LONG, BITTER YEARS OF STRUGGLE, I GET A 2015 NISSAN MURANO TO REPLACE THE RAM!!!

I really don't know why THIS model year Ram is so faulty. I mean, my friend drives an '93 Ram 250 with over 200,000 miles on it, and it still works fine, with the common problems for other cars it's age and mileage! I don't understand why the 1500s took such a wrong turn!

- , Long Island, NY, USA

Jun 192015

Ram 1500 Quad 5.9L

I thought it was just sun when the first crack started so I bought a dash soft cover. Over the years the dash has caved in on itself so cracked into tiny pieces. I called Dodge but they said it was out of warranty and just cosmetic. Yesterday I had to slam on the brakes to prevent hitting a deer, when a large pice flew to the back seat and cut my 3 year old grandson's arm. This is ridiculous! I can't afford the thousand dollars for a new dash so I have searched wrecking yards all of them tell me they have none as all their dashes are cracked as well. So I began to research it only to find every Dodge owner of this year has this problem. I have a friend who works for Dodge Dealer in Atlanta GA who told me "even if you bought one from us it would do the same thing, maybe you can find an aftermarket and have a better product"

This is not acceptable. Chrysler needs to own up to its problem and offer us a dash board credit or replace our dashes or some lawyer needs to file a class action suit. What's it going to take, someone getting and taken out before the federal transportation committee? Recall these Dodge problems?

- , Sabinal, TX, USA

Dec 152005

Ram 1500 SL V6

The dash had two cracks when I bought it from the dealer in 2005. Over the years it has continued to literally disintegrate! Now the smaller pieces vibrate off and fall inward, or fly off into the cabin when the truck windows are rolled down. This is definitely a hazard to my eyes now! I wear sunglasses in the day, and have had a piece hit just above my eyes once.

- , Davie, FL, USA

Aug 012013

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I have 2 large cracks in my dashboard in my 2002 Dodge Ram Pickup. I have worked very hard to keep up the condition of my truck and this makes it look like crap.

- , Clinton Township, MI, USA

May 202014

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

My ac evaporator core had gone out years ago and I needed to replace it but due to the dashboard cracking problem I didn't want to chance pulling the dash. I have the replacement evaporator core and heater core waiting for when the inevitable happened.

It should be mentioned that the only time the truck is in direct sunlight is when I at work (about 7 days a month on day shift). Possibly this is how it made it so long.

Anyway, the dash finally cracked and I decided to go ahead with the ac repair. The second I started trying to get the anels off, not only did the front part of the dash start crumbling but the rest of the dash started popping and cracking. That's with only removing the 2 side covers which pop in and the front cowl which also pops in. There's no telling what's going to happen when I start taking the bolts that hold the dash to the body loose.

- , Leona, TX, USA

May 102012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I HAVE A 2012 RAM 1500. AFTER THREE YEARS I NOTICED THAT DASH BOARD WAS CRACKING. I WENT TO THE DEALER WHERE I BOUGHT MY TRUCK AND SPOKE TO THE GENERAL MANAGER. HE TOLD ME THAT THERE WAS NOTHING HE COULD DO ABOUT IT, SINCE THE CAR WAS ALREADY OUT OF WARRANTY. I TOLD HIM THAT I HAD PAID LOTS OF MONEY FOR THE CAR AND I WAS EXPECTING A BETTER QUALITY ON THIS CAR. SURE ENOUGH I HAD TO STEP OUT OF THE PLACE WITH EMPTY HANDS. TIME HAS PASSED BY AND TODAY I HAVE NO DASH BOARD ANY MORE.. I SPOKE TO A LOCAL DASHBOARD DEALER THAT SELLS PARTS AND TOLD ME THAT DODGES FROM THOSE YEARS HAVE THAT PROBLEM. I DECIDED TO GET IN TOUCH WITH DODGE. THEY SENT AN E MAIL WHERE THEY STATED THAT THEY WERE SORRY THAT THEY CANNOT HELP ME WITH MY PROBLEM, SINCE THE CAR IS OUT OF WARRANTY. IT IS REALLY FRUSTRATING AFTER YOU SO MUCH MONEY FOR A CAR THAT IT IS FALLING OFF IN PIECES.

- , Homestead, FL, USA

Sep 012013

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Really disappointed in dodge for dodging the bullet on fixing the dash board issues, it's an older car ok then I say don't buy a dodge ever because it will become an older model, it's evident and clear that dodge has an issue with their dashboards and even other components, so why try to deny it.

I have a real predicament, don't have A/C because the evaporator core(another known problem on these) therefore need to drive with the windows down at the risk of catching a flying piece of sharp dashboard and potentially endangering other drivers or really anyone on the street for that matter.

always owned Honda and have never had an issue of this sort, what a shame on an "north american" car company like dodge knowing foreign cars are better, safer and have better longevity!!

theres no point in "making" a vehicle safer with air bags and expensive equipment if this same equipment can create a hazardous scenario, clearly a manufacturers malfunction and dodge should accept full resposability.

what would the dodge brothers do!?!?!?!

- , kissimmee, FL, USA