8.1

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (251 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (83 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (12 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 23)

May 012012

Ram 1500 LX V8

Small crack on dash appeared around May of 2012, since then it has continued to crack all over . Looks like someone took a knife to it. I think Dodge should recall this and repair it. Headlights look awful too. Truck were made cheap as heck this year and for 2003 but hte prices certainly didn't go down.

You pay good money for these vehicles and the companies do not back their products. No one is going to want to buy this used vehicle. Also had trouble with the heater and A/C unit.

I know better than to but a Dodge next time. NEVER

- , Lancaster, VA, USA

Dec 222012

Ram 1500 5.2L

My wife got this truck used for Christmas of 2012. My son got it for my wife and I at an auction. Then it has a small hole in the driver's side dash about 3 or 4 inches in diameter. I tried to get the broken piece out and another piece broke out.

I was scraping off my old registration sticker and dropped the scraper which broke out another piece. Trying to get that piece out I cut the back side of my hand on the broken pieces still on the dash. No stitches but just bandages. Set my phone up there and another piece broke out. That piece just crumbled in my hand.Since the dash is part of the crumple zone I hate to think of what would happen in an accident.

I will try to cover it with a piece of rug but the sturdiness of the dash is still compromised.

- , Waskom, Texas, USA

Jul 272014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L Magnum

I bought this truck used in 2009 with 54k miles on it. When I bought it, it already had a cracked dash, both myself and the dealer accused the original owner of being negligent and the purchase agreement consisted of them replacing the dashboard. While this truck was in the dealer shop getting a new dash I discovered that prior generations also had this issue so I purchased a nice tan cover. I have left that cover in place for 5 long years and only removed it for the occasional cleaning and plastic protect spray session.

I walked out to my truck to clean the dash as I have several times before and as soon as I start wiping my hand falls into a hole in the dash and I sliced my finger almost to the bone. I had to get 5 stitches because I did not expect the dash to be broken and was wiping pretty quickly. After I get my stitches and return to the vehicle to inspect my dash, it has two large holes and cracks EVERYWHERE! this is insanity.... if I were to take my 4x4 truck off road I might get sliced to ribbons. Imagine if I were ever in an accident? God forbid that in the first place but if your hands hit the dashboard in my truck you might become an amputee. This stuff breaks like glass. Now the dealership wants almost $2000.00 for a new dashboard on top of the $2000.00 I had to pay for my own stitches that they won't cover......

I was a loyal follower of Dodge and Jeeps almost my whole life, I was just looking into purchasing a new 2014 2500 Cummins Mega Cab.. THERE IS NOT A SNOWBALL'S CHANCE IN HELL I WILL EVER SPEND ANOTHER PENNY ON CHRYSLER UNLESS THEY FIX THIS AND PAY FOR MY STITCHES. PERIOD.

I do plan on seeking legal counsel as soon as possible since this resulted in a serious injury and great financial burden. Dodge might have just lost one of it's last true followers as I did everything imaginable to prevent this dashboard from meeting the same fate as the previous one but it appears to be something that will happen until they recall these dashes and replaces them with a softer more reliable material.

- , Santee, CA, USA

Jun 022014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L Cummins

This cracked dash is dangerous because of the broken plastic pieces that would become shrapnel! Dodge used an egg shell like material to make these dashes. Most Dodge owners that I know have this same problem.

- , Moultrie, GA, USA

Sep 232012

Ram 1500

I thought I was the only one with this problem, especially since I am not one to spend a lot of time maintaining the dashboard, at one time I figured it was Mienekie personnel that had cracked my dashboard after it worked on my ac but from all the complaints posted on this problem I now believe that it is just Dodge's way of saving money and putting peoples lives at risk.

It never crossed my mind that my family's lives could be in danger because of this cracked dashboard if involved in an accident although I did worry about the airbag. All I can say is that like always it will take someone's loss of life for these greedy companies to do anything about it. Unfortunately I will probably have to replace it at such a great expense if I can not find another alternative.

- , San Marcos, TX, USA

Feb 182006

Ram 1500 5.9L

This Dodge and many, many, many more have the same problem. Dodge is too cheap to do a recall sad to say but I think it will take a piece of plastic to come off AND hurt some and they will sue then they will finally do a recall. It would be so cheap now.

- , Phx, AZ, USA

Jul 012003

Ram 1500 5.9L

I read the NY Times article and found this website. I was really bothered by the comments from the Dodge representative. I bought my truck from an aftermarket Dodge dealer. It was a 2002 rental truck and had 9800 miles. Within the year my first crack appeared. I took it to Dodge in 2003 and they told me the dash would not be replaced under warranty or due to defect. I was extremely surprised due to the age of the vehicle and the size of the crack.

At the time of the first crack, the Internet was still relatively slow (due to dial up speeds) and I really didn't use it very often. But I'm sure Dodge was very aware of the problem with their dashboards. I was unaware that so many other people had this issue until several years later when I searched the Internet after several more cracks appeared. My truck now has 117,000 lightly used miles. I've always parked it in our garage. I take excellent care of my truck. This is a problem that was not caused by my actions and I'm disappointed with Dodge's customer service.

Because of the dash, and some electrical issues, I've never recommended a Dodge to people. I would not purchase another because they don't stand by their product. It's too bad, because I love so many things about my truck, and I would like to tell everyone what a great experience I've had.

- , Brentwood, CA, USA

Dec 102013

Ram 1500 4.7L

I had a dash cover on dash after signs of first crack. Now dash has totally fallen apart

- , Delhi, CA, USA

Dec 022009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

THE DASH BOARD IS COMPLETLY FALLING APART FROM CRACKS. HEAVEN HELP ME IF I GET INTO AN ACCIDENT AND THE AIR BAGS DEPLOY. THE AIR BAG WOULD SAVE ME BUT THE SHARDS OF LARGE PLASTIC PIECES FROM THE DASH THE AIR BAGS SEND FLYING WILL KILL ME. DON'T BUY A DODGE RAM PICKUP, THEY DON'T STAND BEHIND THEM.

- , Lewisville, TX, USA

Jul 012005

Ram 1500 Ram V6

WILL NEVER BUY A DODGE AGAIN DASHBOARD SHOULD BE REPLACED DO TO AIR BAGS

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 012009

Ram 1500 4.7L

Cracks started 3 years ago. Now it's really bad and causing electrical failure, so I'm really upset. Chrysler does nothing?

- , Santa Ana, CA, USA

Jan 012006

Ram 1500 SE 5.9L

My dash is completely gone. Each week some of the dash blows away when I run the AC or the heater. First cracks and then the whole damn dash. I will be not buy another Dodge because of this crazy dash.

- , Sedalia, MO, USA

Jan 012004

Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L

This is my truck and every Ram I see has the same problem. Putting a heater core in a customers 1999 ram is horrible because his dash came out in pieces and can't be fixed without replacement.

- , Mesquite, TX, USA

Jan 012007

Ram 1500 ST 4.7L V8

Dodge needs to replace every one of these dashboards or publicly state that they use inferior products!

Thanks to our Gov. for being right on top of this for Dodge!

How many need to become injured or die to justify recalling a product that no one would ever have bought had they known.

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Sep 102013

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

A quality car manufacturer should produce a quality product and this aint it! Fix it Chrysler and I will buy another of your trucks or else I go to GM or Ford!

- , Folsom, CA, USA

Jul 172013

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

My dash on my 02 Dodge Ram just started cracking , it now has major cracks running threw it. This is now a big problem since my heater core needs changing out and my dash will crack apart if I mess with it. I brought this truck brand new in 02!

- , Memphis, TN, USA

Jun 122013

Ram 1500 ES 4.7L V8

I have owned several different makes and models of vehicles, the one that has been the biggest pain in the rear has been(and still is),2002 Dodge Ram1500. The dash board has all but fallen to pieces. The company should recall these vehicles as a safety issue. If they are not willing to replace the dash they should at least provide a replacement at a descent price. Has any one had there dash replace by a Dodge dealer at no charge or a reduced price?

- , Forrest City, AR, USA

Jul 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Two large cracks in dashboard as well as additional cracks in dash near windshield, Pieces of plastic are coming off and getting into heating and air conditioning system. Cheapens the look of the vehicle (purchased new in July 2002) that has only 43000 miles on it.

- , Santa Clara, CA, USA

Aug 102010

Ram 1500 LX 4.7L V8

tHE DASH IS FALLING APART IN MY LAP AND IT HAS FALLEN INTO THE VENTS AND SHATTERED TO PEICES AND NOT SAFE TO DRIVE AND MY A/C VENTS ARE NOT PUTTING OUT AIR DUE TO THIS DASH HAS FALLING TO PEICES, AND I NEED A NEW DASH FROM THE DODGE DEALERSHIP ON A RECALL, I CANT BELIEVE THIS PROBLEM OCCURED AND THAT DASH IS MADE OUT OF PLASTIC VERY CHEAP. AND I AM SHOCKED TO HEAR THAT DODGE WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THIS AS A SAFETY RECALL. ALSO ITS CAUSED ME NOT TO BE ABLE TO DRIVE MY VEHICLE AND I PAID GOOD MONEY FOR THIS TRUCK AND I AM UNABLE TO DRIVE IT WITH THIS PROBLEM AFRAID TO DRIVE IT, AS IT HAS OVER 1000 PEICES THAT HAVE BROKEN IN SHARP EDGES AND THE PEICES I HAD TO REGLUE IT TO HOLD IT BACK TO KEEP IT FROM FALLING APART COMPLETELY AND YOU CAN'T CHANGE YOUR HEATER CORE WITH OUT TAKING DASH OUT. BUT WHEN YOU DO THIS AND AFRAID TO DO IT AS IT WILL GO TO PEICES, SO THEREFORE IM NOT DRIVING THE TRUCK UNTIL I HEAR SOME THING ABOUT A RECALL TO GET THIS DAMN TRUCK FIXED AND I WIL NVER BUY ANOTHER DODGE PRODUCT AGAIN, DODGE I AM ASHAMED THAT YOU ARE MAKEING SUCH POOR QUALITY TRUCKS NOW. GOOD BYE DODGE NEVER AGAIN!!

- , Uniontown, AL, USA

Sep 122013

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

This really happened quite fast wasn't there a short while back I take real good care of my stuff, enough to where I get given a hard time by friends and family..I bought this truck new in 2002 (one owner) its been a good truck but this is unexceptable!!! If Dodge doesn't do something about this I am going to bad mouth them the rest of my life...I won't let anyone sit in passanger side, if that airbag deploys its going to be like a bomb full of plastic went off in your face!....There are 3 big cracks, I noticed there was a few pieces of plastic missing from the vent area stuck my finger in there and one just fell out (unbeliveable) THIS IS NOT FROM HEAT OR LACK OF MAINTAINACE....!

COME ON DODGE SAFETY FIRST!

- , Sherwood, OR, USA