ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

$880

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (280 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (104 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (15 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (3 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 26)

Sep 202018

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

This problem showed up about 7 years ago, but at the time I didn't have the money to fix it. Recently the dash has gotten so bad that is now falling in and I have holes in my dashboard and Dodge wants over 800 dollars to replace it and that doesn't include install.

- Sean S., Denver, CO, US

Jan 092008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

The cracked dash not only looks bad but it just keeps on cracking. When using the heater trash keeps blowing out.

- Dennis M., Suffolk, VA, US

Aug 012018

Ram 1500 XLE 4.7L

Dashboard starting to fall apart causing internal dashboard problems with AC wiring and mechanical issues along with flying sharp objects in a possible car crash. No other automaker has ever had such a serious condition and not corrected it. This is a very wide spread Dodge issue!!!!!

- johnwayne70726, Denham Springs, US

Jan 012003

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

THE INTERIOR COWL AS DODGE CALLS IT IS JUNK. Pieces fell into the heating and a/c system and clogged the blend doors. The entire dash and heater core box had to be removed to remove the broken pieces of plastic. Four hours labor just for removal of dash and box. NOT HAPPY WITH DODGE!!!!!!!

- Alan J., Paradise, CA, US

Aug 012015

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

This has been an excellent truck I bought in 2011 from a previous owner. The dash began to split in different places 3-4 years after I bought it. I have never had a vehicle do this before in my life. Very disappointed.

- Jim R., Springfield, US

Feb 142017

Ram 1500 4.7L

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

This is unacceptable. I want this fixed. I have never had dashboards broken in all the cars and truck I have owned.

- bbudd, Gulfport, US

Jun 012015

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L

it started out in 2015 with just a crack in the dash. the next year there were multiple cracks and in 2017 the defroster vents cracked and broke. in 2017 the dash is really cracking bad and I can actually take out huge chunks and have seen other dodge trucks in town with the same problem. dodge has a problem here. I really like the truck but would be hesitant to buy another dodge for fear this might happen. if dodge would reimburse the cost of a dash cover, they would be in my good graces again and I will continue to patronize them

- Ralph M., Boscobel, US

May 012008

Ram 1500 ST 4.7L

This is about the worst customer service of any product sold in the USA. Dodge will tell you their products are better than the competition. That is just fine, but when there is a flaw in the product accept the responsibility for replacement. That is what a good company would do. I just know if there is an accident with my truck and a piece of that dash becomes lodged in me there will be a lawsuit because there is enough data to show neglect on the part of dodge.

- Thomas H., Ventura, CA, USA

Dec 062005

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L

Bought my 2002 Dodge Truck brand new around 2005 my dashboard started falling apart. the truck has always been taken care of and covered from the sun. Dashboard is in complete pieces.

- Miguel A., Palmdale, US

Jun 012016

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

THE DASH IS FALLING APART. EVERY DAY PIECES BREAK OFF. HAVE A COVER OVER IT RIGHT NOW SO IT LOOKS COSMETICALLY BETTER. THE HEATER CORE NEEDS TO BE REPLACED AND I'M SCARED THAT THE DASH WILL COMPLETELY DISINTEGRATE WHEN I REMOVE IT TO REPLACE THE CORE. HELP!!!

- Les M., Manhattan Beach, US

Jun 282017

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

its ridiculous, as when I turn on the air or the heat, pieces of the vent cover go flying thru the air. hitting me in the eye and other fellow passengers

- geneanmmark, Ooltewah, US

Oct 222009

cracks in dashboard

The dash started cracking shortly after I bought the truck in 2009. Within a short time the dash was getting really bad so I used gorilla glue on it and put a dash cover on it. I have had to replace the center bezel 3 times because it started breaking and falling apart, causing sharp edges and flying debris.

I took it to the dealer and had it inspected. (Please see attachment.).

- Brian K., Rogeers, US

Jan 142015

Ram 1500 LX 4.7V8

they need to fix their screw up. can't find a single good dash anywhere. if you order a new one its around $800.

- Manuel P., Conway, US

Sep 012009

Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 5.9L

The initial Crack was'the too bad. It is the subsequent degradation that is unacceptable

- glbsigb, Westminster, US

Oct 182016

Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 5.9L

The speakers in the dash blew when plastic debris from the cracked dash got into them.

- glbsigb, Westminster, US

Aug 012017

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

2002 Dodge Ram with a dash falling apart. Come on Dodge, own up to this. There are to0 many of these out there to shrug off. It is pitiful the amount of these trucks that have this problem. I run a garage and I have seen plenty. Shameful.

- Ronald K., Fayetteville, US

Jun 282007

Ram 1500

I'm not the original owner. The problem was first noticed by the original owner when the truck was approximately 5 years old. The top dash is literally falling to pieces. Plastic chunks have been falling down into the vents, then flying out when the defrost blows. I'm always in fear of being hit in the eye by a flying shard of plastic! My mother's Toyota Avalon had a much less severely cracked dash, and Toyota recalled and replaced it. When will Dodge step up and do the right thing for its customers?

- Michelle J., Highlands, US

Jun 052017

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L

It is absolutely ridiculous that the dash would have to be replaced just to repair the evaporator! Why would any company install anything made of plastic that would disintegrate from exposure to the Sun? Talk about not having any foresight?! I haven't even mentioned the potential safety issues of broken plastic flying around the cab causing human damage in an accident. Someone could lose an eye, or worse!

This sight should remove all the foul language! Don't you have a better command of the English language than that? Your point can be made much better if you use language correctly. It shows a real level of immaturity.

- James F., West Milton, US

Apr 022014

Ram 1500 ST 5.9L

I'm hoping if this truck is ever in a crash the air bag does not turn the dash into plastic death stars like it think it would.

Update from Jul 5, 2017: Cost was 500.00 not including labor

- Edwardrhodes1 .., Corona, CA, US

May 152016

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

My dashboard is falling apart! It's literally crumbling and cracking. The "vented" openings for in dash speakers are GONE, the dash is in two parts and it has cracks from the windshield to the top edge of the horizontal surface nearest the seats. The materials (plastic) used for the dash in Dodge trucks is substandard, this is not an isolated case. Look at the number of complaints. It's ridiculous for customers to pay to fix a problem caused by Dodge using poor materials for the dash, especially trucks manufactured between 2001-2003.

- John W., Colorado Springs, CO, US