CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

6.6

1. Ford should recall (221 reports)
  2. repair or replace tailgate (138 reports)
  4. need a redesigned tailgate (22 reports)
  5. replace the panel (22 reports)
  6. ford needs to pay for being fixed (9 reports)
2003 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2003 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 26)

Dec 312014

Explorer Limited 4.6L

I think Ford should recall , this is obviously a huge problem and should be corrected.

- , Belle Plaine, Minnesota, USA

Jul 162014

Explorer 3.2L V6

When I first noticed that my 2003 Ford Explorer had the crack by the "FORD" logo on the rear tailgate, I first thought that someone tried to break into my vehicle. Then I contacted the ford dealership in Phoenix to see what the cost would be to fix it. "B_ _ _ S_ _ _!" They told me that this is a continual problem with this year and that it was a stress fracture. Ford needs to fix the problems on all these vehicles at no cost to the owners. Please add me to the Class Action Law Suit. Another saddened owner of a Ford.

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jan 012005

Explorer XLT 4.0

This should be an embarrassment to FORD. I see other explorers on the road with the same problem

- , El Dorado Hills, CA, USA

Dec 102013

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

This crack is due to freezing weather. My son alerted me to the fact there is a class action suit for this happening to Explorers so I checked into it. It seems that FORD has known about this since 2002 and still sold this product. Since I live in the South, we rarely get freezes. We had a HARD FREEZE a few years ago and once the ice melted I noticed I had a crack in my back panel. I wasn't aware that water could actually leak into the panel and destroy wiring.

Who do I need to send my repair invoice to once I find out all the damage this has caused???

Sign me,

Just another Explorer Driver with a cracked back panel

- , Humble, TX, canada

Jan 072015

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

We had a bad freeze in Savannah, Georgia January 6 & 7 of 2015. Around the 8th, I noticed the crack in panel above the window wiper. Since than I've seen other Ford Explorers with the crack in the very same location.

- , Savannah, GA, USA

Nov 252008

Explorer XLT 4.0L

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer, I will never buy a Ford again, they do not stand behind there product. The back panel cracked years ago and because of the cost to have it replace for a plastic replacement is expensive, again Fords are junk stay away because of transmission problems and back panel crack. Junk

- , Selden, NY, USA

Oct 152013

Explorer XLT V6

This is a vehicle that has been parked. This crack appeared out of no where. Cannot take the garage life LOL. This prompt me to contact Ford which indicated no recall. Driving thru out the city I have notice several Ford Explores with the same crack on the tailgate hood. Therefore, this has to be a problem as no cars can have the same exact crack. These vehicle must have been built the same day.

- , Oak Park, MI, USA

Sep 082014

Explorer

Rear tail gate panelings may fall apart while driving and cause crash/injuries to any vehicle/motorists behind.

- , Ruskin, FL, USA

May 092014

Explorer XLT V6 Flex Fuel

They absolutely should offer to fix these. My guess is that it's a combination of poor material selection on the panel, and improper engineering for it's attachment. Not enough give for shrinkage or expansion in extreme cold or heat. After about a month of trying to

figure out what I did, or how it happened, I learned that they crack without any warning, and I'm now "In the club".

I really like Ford. They never took any bailout money. Not a whole lot of complaints, except that obviously there are probably thousands of their 2003 Explorers out there that have this cracked panel problem, especially if this site alone has over 500 complaints about it.

Biggest additional gripe on this model. Door seals not just poorly designed.... it's almost as if they were purposefully designed to guarantee they will freeze shut in the winter They are not designed just to seal the air break. With no rain channel on the main body,they

are designed to ALWAYS be in contact with the outside elements. Rain, snow... morning mist runoff... anything and everything that will freeze solid when the temperature drops... lays in the void between seal and door opening!

The vehicle should come with and added warning: Purchaser is responsible to keep vehicle parked inside heated garage during winter months.

- , Winona Lake, Indiana, USA

Jan 092013

Explorer LS 3.2L V6

At the time there was no other body damage, now a hugh crack.

- , Brackenridge, Pennsylvania, USA

Nov 142013

Explorer XLT V8

Just really fed up with Ford and all the problems they know about but don't give a damned about. Once they sell you a vehicle they don't want to see your face again. Until you need a new car because the old piece of crap won't run anymore. Guess what my next vehicle will be? You are right...NOT FORD!!!

- , Edgewater, Florida, USA

Dec 232013

Explorer XLT 4.6L V8

Cracked panel looks awful. Truly a slap in the face to Ford for letting this go. The darn thing rattles and when you wax the car you have to be careful not to cut yourself on the sharp edges.

- , Cambridge, Ohio, USA

Jul 042014

Explorer

Sounds like a real problem for many. A recall should be made by Ford.

- , Sun Prairie, WI, USA

Feb 212007

Explorer

I had contacted Ford when the crack first appeared,back in 2007,I was told it was not under Recall and would do nothing about it. I paid a lot of money for my Explorer, Feeling very disgusted with the problem,What was I to do. In October 2014 I was at the mechanics when he informed me Ford was repairing those cracks,so once again I contacted Ford,This time they told me the vehicle was no longer under Warranty so once again they said they would do nothing about it, As consumers we pay a lot of money for our vehicles,and a lot of us appreciate our cars and want them to look good.This is an eye sore for me every time I get in my car. Why cant Ford just do what needs to be done and repair our rear panels.

- , Bullhead City, AZ, USA

Mar 122010

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window

It's all been said before. Ford knew about the problem and ignored it. Now almost every Explorer from 02-05 has this crack. It needs to be addressed.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Aug 212007

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

It's a running joke. You see them everywhere. Ours happened in the summer years ago. We came out one day and there it was, like we had finally been accepted into the club. So far we only have one, I've seen cars with as many as three. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked how that happened or what caused it. It's fun to respond "Nothing". Once you let people know to look for it, it becomes a game. They will come back to you and tell you they find it on every Ford they see in the years of this model..

There should be a recall/settlement on the transmission as well. Everyone has had to make the choice to get a new one or move on. Owners know it and mechanics know.

The 3 or so years of this model of Ford Explorer will gift you with a bad transmission and a cracked rear door bezel. Ford reliability!

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Mar 012009

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

Cannot find used back panel. Looks awful and has caused rust in tailgate.

- , Seneca Falls, NY, USA

Feb 162013

Explorer XLT V6

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

I have always taken pride in keeping my Explorer clean. Needless to say I was embarrassed to drive it when it first occurred. Then I started to notice other Explorers that were similar in age having the same problem. These days it's almost impossible to find one without the crack.

I feel that Ford should come up with a fix for the problem and either pay for it or allow you to bring it into a dealer for repair at Ford's expense.

- , Yorba Linda, CA, USA

Jun 012005

Explorer XLS 4.0L V6

I traded in my 1995 Ford Explorer, which I was very satisfied with, for this 2003 Ford Explorer. During the second year of ownership, the rear window latch became hard to close. Shortly after that, I noticed the crack in the rear panel below the glass. I took it to the dealership for repair, as it was still under warranty. They replaced the latch but refused to fix or replace the cracked panel! I believe the faulty latch is what caused the panel to crack in the first place! I was pissed!

I talked to the manager of the dealership (Greenway Ford, Orlando), he wouldn't help. I wrote letters and left voice messages with Ford Headquarters and got no response. I've owned six Fords in my life and would've continued to buy Fords, but they have lost me forever. I will NEVER buy another Ford! I told my kids, if they ever buy a Ford, I will disown them!

- , Orlando, Florida, USA

Jun 152011

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Panel under rear window cracked. I talked to ford company they said they would not fix this.My wife and myself count all the explorers we see with cracked panels and we have lost count there are so many.

- , Ooltewah, TN, USA