8.5

1. Dodge should issue a recall (363 reports)
  2. replace dash (105 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (7 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. order a fitted plastic cover from 1aauto.com for $89 (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 29)

Jan 012005

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

The following is a letter/email and their replies thus far, that I wrote to Dodge/FCA US LLC concerning my self destructing dash. I will update future replies upon receipt:

I am writing to you for the second time concerning the crumbling and cracking dash in my 2001 Dodge Ram truck. The first time was approximately 10 years ago. At that time I reported that my truck’s dash was cracking in multiple places and I inquired about a possible recall, due to I knew of a couple of others that were having the same problem. The only reply I received was to inform me that was no recall of the dash at that time.

I am writing to you again on this day because my dash and bezel has continued to crack and crumble resulting in large gaping holes.

I have searched endlessly for replacement dashes via automotive junkyards, ads that mention parting out, newspaper ads, Craigslist and Facebook with no luck. It turns out that everyone one of them are cracked and crumbling. I look into other people’s trucks when I pass by in parking lots and guess what, they are all cracked and crumbling or covered with a crummy piece of material that has all the proper holes cut out for the vents and stuff. And it’s not just the 2001 model that has this nasty little problem. It turns out that the 1998, 1999 and 2000 models are also cracking and crumbling as I type.

I understand that my truck is 14 years old, however, the problem did begin well over ten years ago. I do not believe my truck was under full warranty at the time I got it because it was purchased used. I am not sure about this being a valid recall because it might not affect the safety of the vehicle, but I do believe the replacement cost should be covered by Dodge/FCA US LLC due the fact that part is indeed a defective part as evidenced by overwhelmingly the large number of cracked dashes out there.

Dodge's reply:

Thank you for contacting the Dodge Customer Assistance Center regarding your 2001 Ram 1500.

In regards to the dash in your Ram 1500, we fully appreciate your concern, particularly in view of the expense and inconvenience involved; however, we are unable to accommodate your request for out-of-warranty consideration. The vehicle has exceeded the time and/or mileage limitations of the warranty (or warranties) we offered on the vehicle at the time it was purchased.

If you have any repairs done to your vehicle I would suggest keeping the receipts and if a recall is added to your vehicle for this issue you can seek possible reimbursement.

Although we are unable to provide a more favorable reply, we appreciate the opportunity to review your request.

Thank you again for your email. Should you require additional assistance, or have any new information to provide, please reply to this email message or call 1-800-4A-DODGE (1-800-423-6343).

Linda

Customer Service Representative Dodge Customer Assistance Center

For any future communications related to this email, please refer to the following information: REFERENCE NUMBER: 26945651 EMAIL CASE NUMBER: 3144440 REPLY LINK: http://www.chrysler.com/wccs/brand_forms/us/reply.jsp?trk_ID=KMM9142822V93846L0KM&

My reply: Did you read my letter carefully? I stated that I understood that my truck is no longer under warranty and also stated that the problem began much earlier with just a few minor cracks.

The reason I'm asking that Dodge pay for replacement is that the part is obviously defective. The self destructing crumbling dashes installed in all Dodge Ram 1500 trucks from the years 1999 through 2001 are defective. If the hood began to disintegrate for no good reason would that be okay with you as well?

I'm sure that Dodge and other motor companies have paid for repair or replacement on defective parts that were not under warranty or part of a safety recall, simply because the part was DEFECTIVE.

I am simply asking that Chrysler Group LLC recognize and acknowledge that the dash is in fact defective and do the right thing by paying the replacement costs.

Dodge's reply:

Thank you for your reply back, although it does not contain any information that would cause a change in the previous decision. Your request must again be respectfully declined.

Any future communication related to this issue will be retained in corporate records.

Linda

Customer Service Representative Dodge Customer Assistance Center

For any future communications related to this email, please refer to the following information: REFERENCE NUMBER: 26945651 EMAIL CASE NUMBER: 3144440 REPLY LINK: http://www.chrysler.com/wccs/brand_forms/us/reply.jsp?trk_ID=KMM9143136V3485L0KM&

My reply: Okay. I think I understand. I have just one question to make things crystal clear.

Are any of the factory installed dashes in the 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup trucks defective?

And yes, I have a few more questions depending on their answer.

- , Purvis, MS, USA

Apr 152008

Ram 1500 LS 5.6L

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

Hello to whom it may concern;

I purchased my 2001 Dodge Ram in 2006 with just a small crack or two in the dash. By 2008 the small cracks turned into large cracks and then the first part over the radio area as shown in picture fell in! At the time, I had placed some items on the dash and had thought that caused it, but when I started to clean it up more started to just break off so I didn't mess with it again! I contacted Barrett Dodge in Athens GA a week later and spoke with the service deportment. They told me there were no recalls and truck was out of warranty so at that time there was nothing they would do other than charge me a crazy price to replace it for me and then, if a recall ever did happen, they said I would probably get back at least half of my repair cost! That still meant I would have paid hundreds for the repair, so I didn't do it.

A few years have pasted, hole got bigger, I'm unable to clean dash at all for fear of it caving in! My radio speakers are going in and out possibly because of it being in the sun. I did have some broken small pieces Blow out onto me from my Air conditioning vents!

The main reason I'm looking into this again now in 2015 is because yesterday my 8 year old son was playing in the truck while I was working on it and he went to get a toy off the dash and his arm went through the dash and cut him leaving about a 1 inch long cut in his arm! This is now why I'm PISSED that now, 7 years later with all the complaints that are now on the internet about this issue, that Dodge has not stepped up nor have they been made to step up and help fix this issue! What if when my son's arm went through the dash and he cut his arm, it would have cut a ARTERY and I was not right there to help him what about that? Does somebody's child have to be seriously injured or, GOD forbid, die from a injury caused by the sharp pieces of this dash before something is done about this??!

I'm now looking into getting this dash repaired mainly because of the safety for my family! I really have not been concerned about the cosmetic look that Dodge has been hiding behind for their reason to not fix this issue! But I will be Dammed if I'm going to let this poorly designed Dodge Dash hurt my Family again!

Well, this is my story for what it's worth! Hope this helps someone! Robert Bell Comer GA

- , Comer, GA, USA

Jan 012005

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 5.2L

I noticed a large crack on the upper dash approx 4 yrs after buying the truck. I added an aftermarket dash cover to prevent further cracking-- but now, the entire dash has disintegrated. I just learned that this is a very typical problem in Dodge Ram trucks.

Called Dodge (factory?) to see if they would offer some help repairing it since it is a widely reported issue with their trucks-- and since at least one person reported she was offered a 50 percent match by her dealer. Their answer was no. I'm Not happy--and Won't buy another Dodge truck. Too bad because otherwise it's been a good vehicle.

They should stand behind their product where a major defect that has been so widely reported.

- , Perris, CA, USA

Dec 152006

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

I don't know the reason why the dash board is literally falling apart, all I know is it is very dangerous. For a big million dollar corporation like Dodge not to do anything about it is chicken sh*t. They should at least send out new replacement dash boards to customers who request it. Dodge Ram......it looks like I had a ram on my dash board and it rammed the crap out of it!!!

- , Hilo, HI, USA

Jun 012008

Ram 1500

Bought dash cover many years ago to fix this problem. In taking dash apart last week to fix the heater core leak, what was left of the original dash was broken to the point that there is nothing left for the cover to attach to. Also there has to be enough of the top dash to attach the complete assembly to the firewall. The only solution at this point is to purchase a complete OEM dash. The price for an OEM dash on Ebay seems to be in the $500 dollar range. (I did find one for $309.86 that had been listed with the incorrect price. They did honor that price and I was able to pick it up locally to save the $91 for shipping.)

At this point there is nothing else to do but spend the money or scrap the truck. The truck is in good shape otherwise and $500 is still cheaper than new truck payments. Not to mention that the prices that I have listed here are based upon me doing all the work myself. Heater core replaced, AC blend door repaired and installing a new dash, I can't imagine the cost for all this at the Dodge "stealership". BTW I plan on keeping the dash cover because I'm sure this new dash will crack eventually.

- , Greenville, SC, USA

Jan 152003

Ram 1500 3.9L V6

BROKEN PLASTIC IN CAB A SAFETY RISK.

Ugly.

Mechanically unsound.

- , Haines City, FL, USA

May 172011

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

The cracked dashboard in Dodge Rams is such a problem I don't think I have seen one dash board that isn't cracked. I have friends with Dodge Rams and all of their dashboards are cracked and mine is literally in pieces. I feel like dodge owes it to us to do a recall on them because they used such a cheap plastic to make them with. Whenever you have to work on something behind the dash it only gets worse with every little movement, extending the cracks until it's just another lose piece. There are screws that hold the top of the dash against the firewall and 3 of my screws are now only holding little pieces of dash and no longer serve any purpose. I am worried that this could lead to a great deal of many other problems because there are a lot of things going on within the dash piece that do not need little pieces of plastic falling in them. When I turn on my AC it starts to make a noise that seems to be coming from behind the airbag on the passenger's side. I am now worried to turn on my heat because I believe something has fallen or it touching something spinning over there, and it is a little cold this time of year where I live.

- , East Flat Rock, NC, USA

Aug 062014

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.9L

Interior is made of spit and toilet paper, can't get insurance until dash is fixed, too many sharp pieces.

- , Sedro Woolley, WA, USA

Nov 012014

Ram 1500

This dash board has cracked in half and is extremely dangerous. In the event of an accident, plastic shards would fly into passengers causing serious injury. I as a consumer should not have to pay for Dodge's cash flow problems. Stand behind your product!

- , Browns Summit, NC, USA

Feb 012005

Ram 1500 Laramie V8

It is obvious the dashboard on the 2001 dodge rams were defective. Dodge needs to come clean and replace them.

- , Brentwood, CA, USA

Oct 302014

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT V8 Magnum

The vehicle is in perfect condition and I was shocked to find the dashboard horribly cracked this morning. A bad reflection on so-called "quality-control" on the part of Dodge. I will be an articulate spokesperson for individuals NOT to buy Dodge products. I chaired two huge multinational organizations (50,000 members each). This will be the subject of various speeches I make to those groups and ancillary organizations. In the "old days," Dodge would have immediately replaced the dashboard. The dealership today said it was because of Florida weather! I responded that the vehicle has been outside in Florida weather for over fifteen years without any problem!

I've noted in running the Web that this allegedly is a standard line of Dodge and its dealerships...and is misleading, incorrect, and false.

- , Englewood, FL, USA

Jul 082008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L Gas

Okay. so my 01 Ram 1500 sat in storage in the shade in Minnesota where it really does not get too hot for 3 years. Took it out of storage in 09, truck had been cleaned and vinyl protector applied on a regular basis even in storage. Then about July, noticed a small crack in the dash. Within a month, chunks were falling down into the wiring switches etc. Recently called Dodge for a replacement and was told 600 dollars just for the dash! After Googling 01 Ram Dashboard, I saw all the complaints, so here I am adding mine, now I hope the 2010 Ram holds up........

- , Mlps, MN, USA

Apr 062012

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

will not buy another dodge - dash has big holes in it

- , Sweetwater, TN, USA

Jan 142008

Ram 1500 Larime 5.9L V8

The dashboard is falling apart. Any time I remove a screw or install any add-on, the dash just falls apart. I have sliced my hand open twice while installing a stereo. The headlight switch cannot be mounted to the dash because the mounts have broken off. The passenger airbag control has fallen back inside the dash so I am unable to control the on/off of the airbag making it impossible to put a child in front seat.

- , Willis, TX, USA

Jul 032008

Ram 1500

Dashboard had small crack. It spread. We got a rug type cover for it. Didn't help. Dash rattles and is barely hanging on.

- , Alton, VA, USA

Jan 012006

Ram 1500 4WD 3.9L

I am one of the disappointed owners of a Dodge Ram with the dashboard disintegration problem. The dashboard and it's supporting structure have self-destructed and fallen completely apart. The instrument cluster, airbags, electrical, and radio are all on the blink and just floating loose in the space where the dashboard used to be. The plastic structure that supported the dashboard became brittle and gradually has been falling apart in sharp shards that litter the floor of the cab.

This is not just an isolated "cracked cosmetic issue", it is so serious that I may have to junk my otherwise good shape truck. It is becoming a very real safety issue with the instruments loose and flopping around. If the airbag would ever deploy, it certainly would explode what's left of the dash into a shrapnel bomb of sharp plastic projectiles flying into the passenger compartment. I won't let my grandkids ride in the truck with me anymore because of the hazard.

This is such a common issue with the early 2000 Ram models, and has been being reported for years by thousands of owners. Just visit a used car lot, and EVERY SINGLE EARLY 2000 RAM has a disintegrating dashboard. The problem is so widespread that a whole after-market industry has sprung up with repair parts and "dash replacements" to address this problem. Yes, it is a defect, a serious safety issue, and a result of faulty engineering or quality control.

I used to like Dodge, but now I wonder. How the company could overlook such a huge group of owners who all have serious problems with the vehicle's safety because of a batch of poor quality materials. Dodge should step up to the plate and rectify this safety issue.

It is disappointing that a good company like Dodge would allow such an obvious defect to go unaddressed, and watch as a whole generation of their trucks are affected and rendered useless by bad plastic.

- , Waco, TX, USA

Oct 202010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L Diesel

I bought the truck with one crack in the dash now there is shards of plastic cracking across the dash . If I were to be in an accident and the air bags were to go off the dash would literally explode plastic through out the cab of the truck causing significant issues . The plastic is brittle like a potato chip .

- , Jamul, CA, USA

May 312013

Ram 1500 SLT 318

click to see larger images

My '01 Ram 1500 dash is breaking up like a taco shell, the hard kind. You just wouldn't want to eat it in the event of an accident. Also there is the very real possibility some of these pieces could get into some of the wiring and cause short circuits in the electrical system, which could cause a fire. Anyone in or near the truck in the event of fire would be at serious risk. It could easily effect the lighting or the braking systems. The truck is 13 years old and will use that as an excuse.

My son has a 1984 VW van. Has one little crack in the dash. I've owned a lot of older vehicles from the '50's on up. I've seen a lot of cracks and damage to dash boards, but nothing like this. It is possibly dangerous. It is very much disheartening knowing it will cost me several hundred dollars to repair it.

- , Bryant, AL, USA

Aug 022008

Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L

My dash has chunks latterly falling off and I swear one of these days it will just completely disintegrate. Pieces are falling off on a weekly basis and the worst thing is that they are very sharp. I pray I don't get in an accident because I will bet I will have contusions all over from flying dash board debris.

Everyone I talk to has the same problem and Dodge simply thinks ignoring this is OK, well it's not. I will not ever buy another Chrysler product until they fix this with a recall and I will continue to warn others about this issue as often as I can.

- , Portland, TX, USA

Oct 092013

Ram 1500 Magnum

Out of the blue cracks began to appear on the corners and in the middle of the dash.

Chunks began breaking off at the passenger side.

Afraid to even clean off the dust for fear of breaking another piece off.

- , Miami, AZ, USA