8.5

1. Dodge should issue a recall (358 reports)
  2. replace dash (103 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (6 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. order a fitted plastic cover from 1aauto.com for $89 (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 28)

Oct 302014

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT V8 Magnum

The vehicle is in perfect condition and I was shocked to find the dashboard horribly cracked this morning. A bad reflection on so-called "quality-control" on the part of Dodge. I will be an articulate spokesperson for individuals NOT to buy Dodge products. I chaired two huge multinational organizations (50,000 members each). This will be the subject of various speeches I make to those groups and ancillary organizations. In the "old days," Dodge would have immediately replaced the dashboard. The dealership today said it was because of Florida weather! I responded that the vehicle has been outside in Florida weather for over fifteen years without any problem!

I've noted in running the Web that this allegedly is a standard line of Dodge and its dealerships...and is misleading, incorrect, and false.

- , Englewood, FL, USA

Jul 082008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L Gas

Okay. so my 01 Ram 1500 sat in storage in the shade in Minnesota where it really does not get too hot for 3 years. Took it out of storage in 09, truck had been cleaned and vinyl protector applied on a regular basis even in storage. Then about July, noticed a small crack in the dash. Within a month, chunks were falling down into the wiring switches etc. Recently called Dodge for a replacement and was told 600 dollars just for the dash! After Googling 01 Ram Dashboard, I saw all the complaints, so here I am adding mine, now I hope the 2010 Ram holds up........

- , Mlps, MN, USA

Apr 062012

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

will not buy another dodge - dash has big holes in it

- , Sweetwater, TN, USA

Jan 142008

Ram 1500 Larime 5.9L V8

The dashboard is falling apart. Any time I remove a screw or install any add-on, the dash just falls apart. I have sliced my hand open twice while installing a stereo. The headlight switch cannot be mounted to the dash because the mounts have broken off. The passenger airbag control has fallen back inside the dash so I am unable to control the on/off of the airbag making it impossible to put a child in front seat.

- , Willis, Texas, USA

Jul 032008

Ram 1500

Dashboard had small crack. It spread. We got a rug type cover for it. Didn't help. Dash rattles and is barely hanging on.

- , Alton, VA, USA

Jan 012006

Ram 1500 4WD 3.9L

I am one of the disappointed owners of a Dodge Ram with the dashboard disintegration problem. The dashboard and it's supporting structure have self-destructed and fallen completely apart. The instrument cluster, airbags, electrical, and radio are all on the blink and just floating loose in the space where the dashboard used to be. The plastic structure that supported the dashboard became brittle and gradually has been falling apart in sharp shards that litter the floor of the cab.

This is not just an isolated "cracked cosmetic issue", it is so serious that I may have to junk my otherwise good shape truck. It is becoming a very real safety issue with the instruments loose and flopping around. If the airbag would ever deploy, it certainly would explode what's left of the dash into a shrapnel bomb of sharp plastic projectiles flying into the passenger compartment. I won't let my grandkids ride in the truck with me anymore because of the hazard.

This is such a common issue with the early 2000 Ram models, and has been being reported for years by thousands of owners. Just visit a used car lot, and EVERY SINGLE EARLY 2000 RAM has a disintegrating dashboard. The problem is so widespread that a whole after-market industry has sprung up with repair parts and "dash replacements" to address this problem. Yes, it is a defect, a serious safety issue, and a result of faulty engineering or quality control.

I used to like Dodge, but now I wonder. How the company could overlook such a huge group of owners who all have serious problems with the vehicle's safety because of a batch of poor quality materials. Dodge should step up to the plate and rectify this safety issue.

It is disappointing that a good company like Dodge would allow such an obvious defect to go unaddressed, and watch as a whole generation of their trucks are affected and rendered useless by bad plastic.

- , Waco, TX, USA

Oct 202010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L Diesel

I bought the truck with one crack in the dash now there is shards of plastic cracking across the dash . If I were to be in an accident and the air bags were to go off the dash would literally explode plastic through out the cab of the truck causing significant issues . The plastic is brittle like a potato chip .

- , Jamul, CA, USA

May 312013

Ram 1500 SLT 318

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

My '01 Ram 1500 dash is breaking up like a taco shell, the hard kind. You just wouldn't want to eat it in the event of an accident. Also there is the very real possibility some of these pieces could get into some of the wiring and cause short circuits in the electrical system, which could cause a fire. Anyone in or near the truck in the event of fire would be at serious risk. It could easily effect the lighting or the braking systems. The truck is 13 years old and will use that as an excuse.

My son has a 1984 VW van. Has one little crack in the dash. I've owned a lot of older vehicles from the '50's on up. I've seen a lot of cracks and damage to dash boards, but nothing like this. It is possibly dangerous. It is very much disheartening knowing it will cost me several hundred dollars to repair it.

- , Bryant, Alabama, USA

Aug 022008

Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L

My dash has chunks latterly falling off and I swear one of these days it will just completely disintegrate. Pieces are falling off on a weekly basis and the worst thing is that they are very sharp. I pray I don't get in an accident because I will bet I will have contusions all over from flying dash board debris.

Everyone I talk to has the same problem and Dodge simply thinks ignoring this is OK, well it's not. I will not ever buy another Chrysler product until they fix this with a recall and I will continue to warn others about this issue as often as I can.

- , Portland, TX, USA

Oct 092013

Ram 1500 Magnum

Out of the blue cracks began to appear on the corners and in the middle of the dash.

Chunks began breaking off at the passenger side.

Afraid to even clean off the dust for fear of breaking another piece off.

- , Miami, AZ, USA

Aug 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I HAVE ALWAYS HAD A CARPET DASH COVER OM MY DASH TO PREVENT DIRECT SUN DAMAGE. THE VEHICLE WAS KEPT GARAGED MOST OF THE TIME WHEN NOT IN USE. THE DASH WENT UNNOTICED UNTIL IT COMPLETELY FELL IN. IT HAS CAUSED SEVERAL ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS ie POWER MIRRORS, DOME LIGHT, GLOVE BOX LIGHT, RADIO NO LONGER WORK. FUSES ALL HAVE BEEN CHECKED AND THERE IS POWER TO THE FUSES. I ALSO GET SEVERAL CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS THAT I HAVE TO RESET. I AM VERY CONCERNED AS TO WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF THE AIRBAG IS DEPLOYED WHILE DRIVING DUE TO A SHORT OR IN AN ACCIDENT. I'M SURE THAT THE REMAINING PLASTIC WILL SHATTER. DODGE WILL SELL ME ANOTHER DASH MADE OF THE SAME PLASTIC (nos).

- , Browns Valley, CA, USA

Jan 012004

Ram 1500 LX 5.2V8

My 2001 Dodge truck interior is completely falling part. In my opinion it is due to the inferior material that Dodge employs in manufacturing the product. The dash is falling apart in pieces, and getting worse by the day. Dodge has not accepted responsibility for this defect and refuses to make good on its products. You can expect this problem on all Dodge products - BAD INTERIOR

- , Miami, FL, USA

Jul 072005

Ram 1500 4.2L

This dashboard is has been manufactured wrong. It is all plastic , no quality. I trying to bought one used but all trucks have the same problem.

- , Cudhay, CA, USA

Dec 012013

Ram 1500 360

One owner, garage kept with a little less than 70,000 miles. The dash had a small crack that appeared early last fall. Now it is actually falling apart. Truck is in excellent shape other than this and I have never had any issues. But this is a defect in the material the dash is made of. I probably be looking at Ford/Chevy for my next truck unless Dodge fixes this. Very disappointed.

- , Mt Juliet, TN, USA

Aug 302013

Ram 1500

Fix my dash, it is dangerous. Plastic pieces are sharp and it looks bad.

- , Norristown, PA, USA

Jul 012008

Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 5.9L Diesel 6

I did not know this was a widespread issue and Dodge should replace the dashboards at no cost to the owners. This is clearly a manufacturing defect.

- , Murrieta, CA, USA

Nov 112008

Ram 1500 Larime 5.9L V8

It’s embarrassing and really takes away from an otherwise nice looking truck. I would be happy if they sold me the dash at their cost and I’ll install it. They wouldn’t even do that. Over $500 to fix what seems to be a material defect. That’s ridiculous.

- , Arden, NC, USA

Aug 102011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L Cummins

I have owned this truck since new ,always taking care to wash and wax on regular basis. After a visit to dealer for A/C issue I noticed a crack in dash board I went back to dealer and they said they had nothing to do with that . They said all Ram truck dashes from that year are known to do that. I said if its a known issue why doesn't Dodge fix this through warranty ( which I bought Extended Max Care Plus) Their reply was it was a cosmetic issue and interior pieces are not covered. I have a giant hole in my dash board that a Hero sandwich could fall through. THANKS DODGE!!!

- , East Islip, NY, USA

Jan 012006

Ram 1500 V8

Every Dodge Ram I've seen from around this year has a cracked dash. Dodge is aware its an issue but wont do anything about it, SHAME ON YOU DODGE! We've never abused our truck, no off roading either. I believe its a safety issue as well.

- , Eugene, OR, USA

Nov 142012

Ram 1500 Ram 5.9L

Electric seat has never worked. Dash is turning to trash. Never had this problem with any other truck and I have owned over a hundred cars or trucks.

- , King City, OR,, USA