8.5

1. Dodge should issue a recall (362 reports)
  2. replace dash (104 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (7 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. order a fitted plastic cover from 1aauto.com for $89 (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 28)

Dec 152006

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

I don't know the reason why the dash board is literally falling apart, all I know is it is very dangerous. For a big million dollar corporation like Dodge not to do anything about it is chicken sh*t. They should at least send out new replacement dash boards to customers who request it. Dodge Ram......it looks like I had a ram on my dash board and it rammed the crap out of it!!!

- , Hilo, HI, USA

Jun 012008

Ram 1500

Bought dash cover many years ago to fix this problem. In taking dash apart last week to fix the heater core leak, what was left of the original dash was broken to the point that there is nothing left for the cover to attach to. Also there has to be enough of the top dash to attach the complete assembly to the firewall. The only solution at this point is to purchase a complete OEM dash. The price for an OEM dash on Ebay seems to be in the $500 dollar range. (I did find one for $309.86 that had been listed with the incorrect price. They did honor that price and I was able to pick it up locally to save the $91 for shipping.)

At this point there is nothing else to do but spend the money or scrap the truck. The truck is in good shape otherwise and $500 is still cheaper than new truck payments. Not to mention that the prices that I have listed here are based upon me doing all the work myself. Heater core replaced, AC blend door repaired and installing a new dash, I can't imagine the cost for all this at the Dodge "stealership". BTW I plan on keeping the dash cover because I'm sure this new dash will crack eventually.

- , Greenville, SC, USA

Jan 152003

Ram 1500 3.9L V6

BROKEN PLASTIC IN CAB A SAFETY RISK.

Ugly.

Mechanically unsound.

- , Haines City, FL, USA

May 172011

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

The cracked dashboard in Dodge Rams is such a problem I don't think I have seen one dash board that isn't cracked. I have friends with Dodge Rams and all of their dashboards are cracked and mine is literally in pieces. I feel like dodge owes it to us to do a recall on them because they used such a cheap plastic to make them with. Whenever you have to work on something behind the dash it only gets worse with every little movement, extending the cracks until it's just another lose piece. There are screws that hold the top of the dash against the firewall and 3 of my screws are now only holding little pieces of dash and no longer serve any purpose. I am worried that this could lead to a great deal of many other problems because there are a lot of things going on within the dash piece that do not need little pieces of plastic falling in them. When I turn on my AC it starts to make a noise that seems to be coming from behind the airbag on the passenger's side. I am now worried to turn on my heat because I believe something has fallen or it touching something spinning over there, and it is a little cold this time of year where I live.

- , East Flat Rock, North Carolina, USA

Aug 062014

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.9L

Interior is made of spit and toilet paper, can't get insurance until dash is fixed, too many sharp pieces.

- , Sedro Woolley, Washington, USA

Nov 012014

Ram 1500

This dash board has cracked in half and is extremely dangerous. In the event of an accident, plastic shards would fly into passengers causing serious injury. I as a consumer should not have to pay for Dodge's cash flow problems. Stand behind your product!

- , Browns Summit, NC, USA

Feb 012005

Ram 1500 Laramie V8

It is obvious the dashboard on the 2001 dodge rams were defective. Dodge needs to come clean and replace them.

- , Brentwood, CA, USA

Oct 302014

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT V8 Magnum

The vehicle is in perfect condition and I was shocked to find the dashboard horribly cracked this morning. A bad reflection on so-called "quality-control" on the part of Dodge. I will be an articulate spokesperson for individuals NOT to buy Dodge products. I chaired two huge multinational organizations (50,000 members each). This will be the subject of various speeches I make to those groups and ancillary organizations. In the "old days," Dodge would have immediately replaced the dashboard. The dealership today said it was because of Florida weather! I responded that the vehicle has been outside in Florida weather for over fifteen years without any problem!

I've noted in running the Web that this allegedly is a standard line of Dodge and its dealerships...and is misleading, incorrect, and false.

- , Englewood, FL, USA

Jul 082008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L Gas

Okay. so my 01 Ram 1500 sat in storage in the shade in Minnesota where it really does not get too hot for 3 years. Took it out of storage in 09, truck had been cleaned and vinyl protector applied on a regular basis even in storage. Then about July, noticed a small crack in the dash. Within a month, chunks were falling down into the wiring switches etc. Recently called Dodge for a replacement and was told 600 dollars just for the dash! After Googling 01 Ram Dashboard, I saw all the complaints, so here I am adding mine, now I hope the 2010 Ram holds up........

- , Mlps, MN, USA

Apr 062012

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

will not buy another dodge - dash has big holes in it

- , Sweetwater, TN, USA

Jan 142008

Ram 1500 Larime 5.9L V8

The dashboard is falling apart. Any time I remove a screw or install any add-on, the dash just falls apart. I have sliced my hand open twice while installing a stereo. The headlight switch cannot be mounted to the dash because the mounts have broken off. The passenger airbag control has fallen back inside the dash so I am unable to control the on/off of the airbag making it impossible to put a child in front seat.

- , Willis, Texas, USA

Jul 032008

Ram 1500

Dashboard had small crack. It spread. We got a rug type cover for it. Didn't help. Dash rattles and is barely hanging on.

- , Alton, VA, USA

Jan 012006

Ram 1500 4WD 3.9L

I am one of the disappointed owners of a Dodge Ram with the dashboard disintegration problem. The dashboard and it's supporting structure have self-destructed and fallen completely apart. The instrument cluster, airbags, electrical, and radio are all on the blink and just floating loose in the space where the dashboard used to be. The plastic structure that supported the dashboard became brittle and gradually has been falling apart in sharp shards that litter the floor of the cab.

This is not just an isolated "cracked cosmetic issue", it is so serious that I may have to junk my otherwise good shape truck. It is becoming a very real safety issue with the instruments loose and flopping around. If the airbag would ever deploy, it certainly would explode what's left of the dash into a shrapnel bomb of sharp plastic projectiles flying into the passenger compartment. I won't let my grandkids ride in the truck with me anymore because of the hazard.

This is such a common issue with the early 2000 Ram models, and has been being reported for years by thousands of owners. Just visit a used car lot, and EVERY SINGLE EARLY 2000 RAM has a disintegrating dashboard. The problem is so widespread that a whole after-market industry has sprung up with repair parts and "dash replacements" to address this problem. Yes, it is a defect, a serious safety issue, and a result of faulty engineering or quality control.

I used to like Dodge, but now I wonder. How the company could overlook such a huge group of owners who all have serious problems with the vehicle's safety because of a batch of poor quality materials. Dodge should step up to the plate and rectify this safety issue.

It is disappointing that a good company like Dodge would allow such an obvious defect to go unaddressed, and watch as a whole generation of their trucks are affected and rendered useless by bad plastic.

- , Waco, TX, USA

Oct 202010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L Diesel

I bought the truck with one crack in the dash now there is shards of plastic cracking across the dash . If I were to be in an accident and the air bags were to go off the dash would literally explode plastic through out the cab of the truck causing significant issues . The plastic is brittle like a potato chip .

- , Jamul, CA, USA

May 312013

Ram 1500 SLT 318

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

My '01 Ram 1500 dash is breaking up like a taco shell, the hard kind. You just wouldn't want to eat it in the event of an accident. Also there is the very real possibility some of these pieces could get into some of the wiring and cause short circuits in the electrical system, which could cause a fire. Anyone in or near the truck in the event of fire would be at serious risk. It could easily effect the lighting or the braking systems. The truck is 13 years old and will use that as an excuse.

My son has a 1984 VW van. Has one little crack in the dash. I've owned a lot of older vehicles from the '50's on up. I've seen a lot of cracks and damage to dash boards, but nothing like this. It is possibly dangerous. It is very much disheartening knowing it will cost me several hundred dollars to repair it.

- , Bryant, Alabama, USA

Aug 022008

Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L

My dash has chunks latterly falling off and I swear one of these days it will just completely disintegrate. Pieces are falling off on a weekly basis and the worst thing is that they are very sharp. I pray I don't get in an accident because I will bet I will have contusions all over from flying dash board debris.

Everyone I talk to has the same problem and Dodge simply thinks ignoring this is OK, well it's not. I will not ever buy another Chrysler product until they fix this with a recall and I will continue to warn others about this issue as often as I can.

- , Portland, TX, USA

Oct 092013

Ram 1500 Magnum

Out of the blue cracks began to appear on the corners and in the middle of the dash.

Chunks began breaking off at the passenger side.

Afraid to even clean off the dust for fear of breaking another piece off.

- , Miami, AZ, USA

Aug 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I HAVE ALWAYS HAD A CARPET DASH COVER OM MY DASH TO PREVENT DIRECT SUN DAMAGE. THE VEHICLE WAS KEPT GARAGED MOST OF THE TIME WHEN NOT IN USE. THE DASH WENT UNNOTICED UNTIL IT COMPLETELY FELL IN. IT HAS CAUSED SEVERAL ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS ie POWER MIRRORS, DOME LIGHT, GLOVE BOX LIGHT, RADIO NO LONGER WORK. FUSES ALL HAVE BEEN CHECKED AND THERE IS POWER TO THE FUSES. I ALSO GET SEVERAL CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS THAT I HAVE TO RESET. I AM VERY CONCERNED AS TO WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF THE AIRBAG IS DEPLOYED WHILE DRIVING DUE TO A SHORT OR IN AN ACCIDENT. I'M SURE THAT THE REMAINING PLASTIC WILL SHATTER. DODGE WILL SELL ME ANOTHER DASH MADE OF THE SAME PLASTIC (nos).

- , Browns Valley, CA, USA

Jan 012004

Ram 1500 LX 5.2V8

My 2001 Dodge truck interior is completely falling part. In my opinion it is due to the inferior material that Dodge employs in manufacturing the product. The dash is falling apart in pieces, and getting worse by the day. Dodge has not accepted responsibility for this defect and refuses to make good on its products. You can expect this problem on all Dodge products - BAD INTERIOR

- , Miami, FL, USA

Jul 072005

Ram 1500 4.2L

This dashboard is has been manufactured wrong. It is all plastic , no quality. I trying to bought one used but all trucks have the same problem.

- , Cudhay, CA, USA