8.4

1. Dodge should issue a recall (330 reports)
  2. replace dash (78 reports)
  4. pay to have dashboard replaced (7 reports)
  5. bought a dash cover (6 reports)
  6. glue it back together (5 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 25)

Jul 072005

Ram 1500 4.2L

This dashboard is has been manufactured wrong. It is all plastic , no quality. I trying to bought one used but all trucks have the same problem.

- , Cudhay, CA, USA

Nov 142012

Ram 1500 Ram 5.9L

Electric seat has never worked. Dash is turning to trash. Never had this problem with any other truck and I have owned over a hundred cars or trucks.

- , King City, OR,, USA

Dec 012009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.0L V8

The NHSTA needs to recognize this as a safety issue. The cracked debris is sharp and I feel my kids and myself are at risk of flying debris.

- , Columbia, TN, USA

Apr 012005

Ram 1500

The truck still only has 80000 miles on it(original).I bought the truck (used) in 2005 and noticed small cracks starting to appear throughout the dash surface..It has since really gone to absolute ruin.

- , Lebanon, TN, USA

Mar 022007

Ram 1500 5.2L

Turned the fan on and tiny piece of plastic flew into my eye causing me to crash into a parked flatbed truck,bouncing off and over embankment down hill into a tree almost taking out a family of 4 that were having a picnic celebrating their 3 yr olds birthday(now that would of been some wake up call to dodge huh?Stupid SOBs...oops sorry i get angry every time i re-live it) which resulted into lost time at work,stitches in left eye,and over $4000 in damages to my truck.Flatbed unharmed with exception of some grey paint left on rear bumper.

- , Petaluma, CA, USA

Jul 012013

Ram 1500 Laramie 3.7L

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

The dashboard was covered for a very long time, but that did not stop the disintegration. This occurred within a few weeks of the initial crack, and followed by a month the dash panel plastic was completely caving in. I had to clean the plastic out. Dodge wants to sell me a new unit at their outrageous prices in several different pieces to replace the one area. This was a defect from factory with the plastic manufacturer, and dodge approving their product should be responsible for replacing it or improving it.

- , Key Largo, Florida, USA

Jun 012012

Ram 1500

HAVE THIS CRACKED DASH AND CHRYSLER WONT PAY TO FIX IT...

- , Swannanoa, NC, USA

Dec 022010

Ram 1500 5.2L

After finding out that the dash plastic crap thing cost $350 for a new part, I took the old one out and fiberglassed it back together. Why they didn't make these things out of fiberglass instead of plastic is anyone's guess. It probably saved the company two bucks on the construction of each one.

- , Glendale, AZ, USA

Oct 102009

Ram 1500 3.2L

I tried glueing dash but the glue dripped through the cracks. The cracks keep increasing as time goes on. I did not realize this was such a problem until I started seeing so many other complaints. There really should be a recall by Chrysler as this is potentially a safety issue. I don't think covering the dash with a cover is going to help as the dash keeps deteriorating, and the weight of the cover may contribute to further damage.

Update from Jun 22, 2013: I have had more cracks appear since my original complaint. I glued all cracks again, but this time using Seal-All. It seems to be holding and no new cracks have appeared in the past two months. However, all the glue crisscrossing the dash looks like hell. I have purchased an Ulti-mat cover that I plan on glueing to the dash with rubber cement hoping it'll stabilize the dash and prevent further cracking in addition to improving the appearance a bit. Very frustrating that when I try to sell the pickup, the dash is the first thing a possible buyer will see.

I've been a Mopar guy for decades. I take pride in the appearance of my vehicles. This issue is pure BS! I may not be buying another Dodge/Ram in the future as a result.

- , Victoria, BC, canada

Jan 012001

Ram 1500 V8

NEVER BUY A DODGE AGAIN, GOT !!!!! ONE TIME, NEVER AGAIN, I BOUGHT THIS TRUCK NEW, WILL NEVER BUY A DODGE AGAIN, I WILL NEVER GO THIS DEALER AGAIN...

- , Peoria, AS, USA

Jul 152008

Ram 1500 Off Road V8

t

THE DASH LOOKS REALLY BAD. YOU WOULD THINK DODGE COULD USE A BETTER PRODUCT (MATERIAL) TO MAKE THE DASH WITH.

- , Nemours, WV, USA

May 152006

Ram 1500 Quad 1500 5.9L

Dash is cracked in 5 places. Waiting for it to completely break off.

- , Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Oct 142010

Ram 1500 SLT V8

my truck looks too bad to sell.

- , Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Apr 022005

Ram 1500 3.2L

I bought a used 2001 dodge ram 1500 truck back in 2009 and the dash was crack some, but now it is totally messed up and cracked all the way across. It is unsafe and the pieces are falling into the truck and getting caught. I wrote Dodge and they referred me to a site that will sell me a new one for $1,200. I told them it should be a recall and dodge should pay for it. I also told them that was a crappy thing on dodge's part. Suzieq510

- , Woodstock, GA, USA

Mar 012013

Ram 1500 Off Road 5.2L

This is not just a problem that is isolated to a few. "Google" dodge dashboard to find many that are in my situation. Now while a recall should be used for safety reasons I.e brake line, etc, I thoroughly believe this IS a safety issue. If I were to be involved in a head-on collision the broken pieces which I have duct taped would fly all over the driver and passenger which could result in significant injuries.

This problem needs to be addressed and if it is not at least I have given a prospective Dodge owner of this; which may or may not play a decision when purchasing a Dodge vehicle.

- , Greensboro, NC, USA

Jul 052008

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.2L

I have always owned Dodge cars and trucks, because they were always dependable and made with good quality parts. I know that to stay in business sometimes you have to cut the cost of supplies to stay up with the competition. There is a fine line between a part being quality and a part being crap, and the folks at Dodge really crossed the line. I have not seen one of the 2001 Ram 1500 trucks with a dash that is not cracked or broken into pieces. I have spoken with a couple of dealers and one person at Diamler Chrysler and was told that it was being looked into, but that was in 2008. The least they could do is meet the customer half way and furnish the parts to fix it with for free.

- , Waynesville, NC, USA

Jun 302008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

Just ridiculous that the dash should be crumbling on a vehicle that cost over $30K when I bought it.The collapse has been near total now, with maybe 25% of the dash remaining. With the economy the way it has been, I never could afford to repair.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Nov 252011

Ram 1500 V8

WE BOUGHT THIS TRUCK BRAND NEW AND TAKE VERY GOOD CARE OF IT AND THESE CRACKS REALLY DECREASE THE VALUE IF WE WOULD EVER WANT TO TRADE IT IN AND REALLY UPSETS US EVERY TIME WE DRIVE IT. IT HAS BEEN A VERY GOOD TRUCK OTHERWISE AND REALLY LOVE IT.

- , Tonganoxie, Kansas, USA

Jun 152007

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L

I'm a mechanic & I work on all sorts of different makes & models of vehicles. I have seen almost every Dodge truck between 1996 - 2006 has had an issue with the dash plastic cracking. It is not an isolated incident witH just a few thousand trucks.......it is all Dodge trucks within the years mentioned above. The owners should not have to bare the cost to replace a defective part whether it is due to poor quality products or a manufacturing issue. Dodge needs to do the right thing & issue a recall to replace all defective dashes with a better quality product & compensate those who have replaced their defective dash already.

- , Pearl City, HI, USA

Mar 012013

Ram 1500 V8

I don't know if this will do any good but here go's anyway.

The dash board has developed MAJOR cracks and some of the cracks have triangulated and fell through.

I understand that Dodge has turned their backs on the issue. Not sure what good this site does other than vent a little.

- , Albuquerque, NM, USA