8.5

1. Dodge should issue a recall (373 reports)
  2. replace dash (114 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (7 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. dodge needs to pay for 1/2 or all the cost of parts/repair (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 30)

Oct 012008

Ram 1500 XLT 5.2L

it's broke into pieces time by time, i don't want to spend money on this. I want dodge recall the item

- , Quincy, MA, USA

Aug 012011

Ram 1500 V6

The dashboard cracked and has a huge gaping hole. Ridiculous.

- , Gladstone, OR, USA

Jul 012014

Ram 1500 4x4 Off Road Standard V8

2001 DODGE 1500 4X4 WITH A DASH THAT LOOKS LIKE ITS BEEN BEAT WITH A HAMMER SEVERAL TIMES AS THERE ARE MANY PIECES " FLOATING AROUND " AS WELL AS CRACKS, ETC. THIS VEHICLE HAS NOT BEEN OUTSIDE FACING THE SUN ITS WHOLE LIFE EITHER. I UNDERSTAND THIS IS A PROBLEM FOR DODGES OF THIS ERA, AND I FEEL THEY SHOULD HAVE A RECALL. I'VE OWNED VEHICLES FOR 60 YEARS WITH NOTHING LIKE THIS HAPPENING.

- , Hot Springs, SD, USA

Jan 012011

Ram 1500 5.9L

the dash is all but gone, it just crumbled when the windows are down pieces of plastic fly all over mostly cosmetic but for 24,000 very cheap

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 052016

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.9L V8

Every piece of my dash and anything made of the same material has cracked or is in crack mode, I mean all. I have to tape my dash together as the lower dash assemble trim bezel has totally been destroyed. All my instruments have fallen out or are about to.The whole interior is cracking. I can not believe that Dodge has not taken care of this. The plastic they used is like a big bowl of tortilla chips. There is nothing to screw in to. The truck has been great except for the disappearing dash. Some one PLEASE HELP!!!!!

- , Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Oct 152006

Ram 1500 Limited 5.2L

The dashboard was cracked within 4 years of purchase which has totally disintegrated into pieces. Leaving wiring and parts totally exposed. The instrument panel cover is also crumbling apart. The hazards of of those pieces flying into your eyes and face is a major health concern, also those pieces from the so-called dashboard could be projectiles during impact. Can't understand why after thousands of complaints from owners of 2001-2004 Dodge truck models having defective dashboards and instruments panels Dodge-Chysler has not done a responsible recall and backed their products??!!!!???!!!!!

- , Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Jun 012004

Ram 1500 WS V6

When the cracks on the dash started to get worse I called Dodge customer service line they told me the vehicle was out of warranty and they would not help.After that conversation I started to investigate to see if this was happening to anyone else, and to my surprise there are many thousands of Dodge trucks over many years that have this defect,these cracks will become projectiles in a front end crash and could cause bodily harm.I wish we could have a class action suit against this car maker because this is negligence on their part.

I also thought about taking this claim to small claims court

I bought this vehicle in2001 NEW and still have the vehicle with only 63000 miles today 6/5/2016

- , Freeport, FL, USA

Nov 032014

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.9L V8

just randomly one fall/winter, my dash just started to crack. I use a sun shield at work during the summer, i use a dash protectant occasionally when cleaning dash. I used a clear epoxy to help slow down the cracks and to keep the pieces that had cracked all the way around and were loose back together, ie, keep the dash from falling to pieces. It continues to crac around the epoxy and random new cracks all over the dash. Any slightly bumpy roads makes it worse. I cannot believe GM and Dodge have not done a recall on this issue yet. It's completely horrible!

- , Rochester, MN, USA

Aug 042012

Ram 1500 Magnum V6

we bought this vehicle from an individual. we bought because of the mileage and good body, little did we know that this dodge also had hair line cracks that we didn't see right away. now the whole dash is cracking really bad by the air bags. my wife is very concerned about this if we got into an accident the whole dash would explode sending sharp peices of plastic into us. I never have been a dodge person and this does make me really upset with the company. the they don't stand behind their vechicels especially when it comes to safety they should have a recall and replace with a non defective plastic dash

- , Bloomingdale, MI, USA

Nov 052004

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L V8

Dodge should recall the dashboards they are defective and are causing potential injuries or even death possibly if an accident was to occur.

- , Waxahachie, TX, USA

Jan 182007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

The entire top of the dash literally turned into crumbled pieces of sharp shards. When you held the pieces in your hand they turned into dust. There were tiny sharp dash pieces all down inside the dash frame causing problems with cut wires and some got into the ducting. Poor quality plastic and poor manufacturing processes. Even the dash gauge bezel was cracked and had to be replaced with after an market one.

- , Lansing, NC, USA

Sep 202003

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

I don't remember exactly when it started, but my dashboard started cracking and just never stopped! It now is almost half gone! I keep it covered with a dash mat, because its very embarrassing to me when people are riding in it. I took it back to the dealership i bought it from and they told me they would replace it if I payed for a new one cause it was out of warranty. I said so what, its a defect in material not something I did. The dealer actually asked me what i did to it, did I hit it with something! I said no it just started cracking, He didn't believe me! So I did nothing because I felt i shouldn't have to pay for their lack of using bad materials.

- , Santa Rosa, CA, USA

May 052005

Ram 1500 Slt, Sport, Off-road 5.9L Magnum V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard

I bought this truck directly from dodge dealership in mid 2000. New truck with less than 25 miles. It's my personal truck not work vehicle and I'm very "picky" about keeping it clean and maintained and it's parked in garage yet after just a few years I noticed dash cap cracking. Then when it was removed in order to replace heater core, it fell apart into pieces. Talked with dealership and was told it wasn't covered in warranty and that I should have used a cover to block direct sunlight. I ended gluing it up as best I could and re-installing it.

- , Thornton, CO, USA

Dec 262006

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

Initially there were minor cracks. As time progressed the cracks have become a major issue of concern. The dashboard top has severe crack across the top of the entire dashboard. Now the dashboard is falling in or caving in on itself. I am looking to replace the dash with an aftermarket replacement part, and not likely to be an OEM part. I do not believe the propagation of these cracks can be attributed to either driving or weather conditions. The truck is not driven daily and I have kept the dashboard covered with a fitted cover & the front windshield with a sun screen/deflector in place to reflect the heat & minimize sun exposure.

- , Honolulu, HI, USA

Mar 292005

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

I purchased my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 sport brand new in 3/2001 and have had very few issues with it save for one. The entire dashboard has completely cracked apart. The pieces are constantly rattling around inside the dash and in the blower now because small pieces fell into the vents. I cannot believe dodge has not issued a recall or offered to replace these obviously defective parts. I still own my vehicle as of 10/2015. I have long hoped dodge would come to their senses and do something about this issue, but I guess not. I have not since nor will I in the future purchase any vehicles from a company that does business this way.

- , Gloucester, VA, USA

Dec 012011

Ram 1500 SLT Larmie 5.2L

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram pick up and the dash has caved in and it needs to be replaced by Dodge and my wife has a PT Cruiser and the dash has caved in on it as-well this is not happening on our vehicles alone. There are a lot of people that are having the same problem. SO WE SAY TO YOU AT DODGE AND CHRYSLER FIX OUR DASHES. They know of this problem and they will not do anything about it. Help spreed the word before you buy a Dodge or Chrysler make sure that you check for cracks in the dashes.

- , Cape Coral, FL, USA

Sep 082014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

Badly cracked dash is very annoying. Looks like crap

- , Bellingham, WA, USA

Sep 242015

Ram 1500 V6

I was trying to get to the blend door to repair it. When I started removing the dash parts they would crack and break apart. Now I have to buy the plastic dash insert for the instrument panel. I also broke the dash board bezel, the clips would not let go be fore it cracked and fell apart. Of course the dash broke while removing the other pieces. It all has to come out to get to the blend door.

The best price I can find for the dash insert is $614+tax has to come from dealer cannot find it any where else. The bezel after market is about$140+tax. And the dash board top panel after market about $331.99 +tax & $62 shipping. This is not counting labor! I always wanted a Dodge Ram, but this one is a joke. This is my last Dodge! May be some day they will hire adult management and engineers. That's $1134, not counting taxes, a big price to pay for replacing a Blend Door.

- , Dunn, NC, USA

Dec 202003

Ram 1500 Larado 5.0L

DASH BEGAN TO CRACK AFTER THE 3RD YEAR. WHEN I TOOK IN FOR SERVICE THE SERVICE MANAGER SAID THEY CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. IT PROGRESSIVELY HAS GOTTEN WORSE!!! BIG CHUNKS OF THE DASH FALLING DOWN INTO THE DASH. TRIED TO REMOVE FROM BETWEEN THE WIRING AND DUCT WORK BUT CAN NOT GET TO ALL THE PIECES. STARTING TO HAVE PROBLEMS WITH ELECTRICAL FUNCTION, RADIO, AIR CONDITION FAN.

I AM CONCERNED THAT IF I AM IN A ACCIDENT THAT THE AIRBAGS WILL NOT OPEN OR IF THEY DO THEY WILL SCATTER PIECES OF THE DASH BOARD. CHRYSLER SHOULD HAVE A RECALL ON THIS PROBLEM. I HAVE COMPLAINED A FEW TIMES AND HAVE HAD THE SERVICE PERSONAL AT VANN DODGE IN VINELAND NJ DOCUMENT THE PROBLEM. I DON'T KNOW IF THEY SAID THEY WILL JUST TO APPEASE ME OR THEY REALLY DID DOCUMENT AND REPORT BACK TO THE MAIN OFFICE.

I HAVE RECENTLY PUT A DASH BOARD SKIN AND BEZEL ON AT MY OWN EXPENSE OF ABOUT 300 DOLLARS. BUT I AM STILL CONCERNED ABOUT THE ELECTRICAL AND AIRBAGS. CHRYSLER HAS A LOT OF RECALLS AND FINES TO PAY AND I AM SURE THEY HAVE MADE A FEW PAYMENTS IN THE FORM OF LAWSUITS WITH THIS PROBLEM BUT HAVE NOT TAKEN CARE OF IT AS OF THIS DATE

- , Hammonton, NJ, USA

May 012005

Ram 1500 Super Duty V8

I have been told by mechanics and other Dodge owners this was a common problem due to manufacturers using defective materials to make the dashboards with in the first place. There needs to be a recall for free replacement immediately! I am on a fixed income and cannot afford to replace it. This is a fatal hazard just waiting to happen!

I have listed my complaint everywhere I can. I will be more than happy to be a part of a class action lawsuit in order for something to be done. Henceforth I will never buy a Dodge of any kind in the future.

- , El Paso, TX, USA