- March 27: Ford F-150 Door Latch Lawsuit Says Latches Freeze news | 0 days ago
- March 24: Ford Edge Door Ajar Light Recall Not Necessary, Say Feds investigations | 3 days ago
- March 22: Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 Lawsuit Says Cars Overheat news | 5 days ago
- March 20: Ford Explorer Police Vehicles Get Carbon Monoxide Detectors news | 7 days ago
- March 15: Ford Recalls 2017 Mustangs to Repair Door Handles recalls | 12 days ago
2002 Ford Explorer
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2002 Explorer electrical Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- electrical gremlins10
- engine cut off, would not restart8
- intermittent starting problems5
- alternator gone bad4
- anti theft prevents engine from starting4
- electrical noise3
- fuses keep blowing2
- the abs / airbag/ and radio went nuts before car died2
- computer message won't clear1
- main wiring harness corroded1
- starter went out1
- NHTSA: Electrical System102
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Wiring: Interior/Under Dash7
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Ignition: Switch5
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Wiring5
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Fuses And Circuit Breakers4
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Battery2
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Ignition2
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Ignition: Anti-Theft Controller2
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Ignition: Module2
- NHTSA: Communications: Back Up Alarm1
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Alternator/Generator/Regulator1
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Starter Assembly: Solenoid1
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Wiring: Front Underhood1
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Wiring: Rear Compartment/Trunk1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.