- March 24: Ford Edge Door Ajar Light Recall Not Necessary, Say Feds investigations | 1 days ago
- March 22: Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 Lawsuit Says Cars Overheat news | 3 days ago
- March 20: Ford Explorer Police Vehicles Get Carbon Monoxide Detectors news | 5 days ago
- March 15: Ford Recalls 2017 Mustangs to Repair Door Handles recalls | 10 days ago
- March 5: Ford Dual-Clutch Transmission Lawsuit Filed in Texas news | 19 days ago
2002 Ford Explorer
windows / windshield Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2002 Explorer windows / windshield Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- power window stopped working87
- rear lift gate window exploded80
- electric window assembly broken plastic parts inside13
- rear window doesn't stay up7
- rear window fell out5
- window hinge broke5
- rear window latch stopped working correctly3
- moonroof leaks2
- rear hatch washer not working2
- rear window started leaking after liftgate recall repair2
- rear windshield fluid line leaking2
- window lift cylinder broke free from mounting2
- paint on liftgate glass cracked1
- rear window guides both cracked1
- windows keep fogging up1
- windshield cracked1
- NHTSA: Visibility: Glass, Side/Rear38
- NHTSA: Visibility: Power Window Devices And Controls31
- NHTSA: Visibility22
- NHTSA: Visibility: Windshield4
- NHTSA: Visibility: Windshield Wiper/Washer2
- NHTSA: Visibility: Windshield Wiper/Washer: Motor2
- NHTSA: Visibility: Windshield Wiper/Washer: Switch/Wiring1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.