- May 25: Ford Recalls 271,000 F-150 Trucks For Leaking Master Cylinders recalls | 1 days ago
- May 17: Ford Spark Plugs Breaking? Ford Settles Class-Action Lawsuit news | 9 days ago
- May 16: Recalled Axle Repair May Not Meet U.S. Safety Agency's Own Rules news | 10 days ago
- May 3: No Recall For Ford F-150 Brake Pedal Problems investigations | 23 days ago
- April 27: Ford Recalls 285,000 Cars and SUVs in 5 Recalls recalls | 29 days ago
2003 Ford Explorer
AC / heater Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2003 Explorer AC / heater Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- temperature blend door broke26
- blower makes clicking noise23
- ac not working properly10
- heater stopped working10
- air conditioning failed6
- blower fan is weak even on high setting6
- blower makes banging sound4
- a/c compresser exploded2
- loud noise from engine compartment2
- a/c switches from vent to dash1
- unpleasant and annoying smell1
- NHTSA: Equipment: Air Conditioner4
- NHTSA: Equipment: Electrical: Air Conditioner1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2003 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.