CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

7.0

1. pay $800 to have the dashboard taken apart, and a new heater (3 reports)
2003 Ford Explorer AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

2003 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Jan 122009

Explorer

It would be nice to have heat when it is cold.

Should be an easier way to get this taken care of then to take the whole dash board apart.

- , Columbia, SC, USA

Oct 012013

Explorer

The heater doesn't work on this stupid vehicle. If the temperature knob is turned the least little bit toward the heating side- no hot air is blowing out and there's a truly annoying, thumping sound. My husband and I have gone online and have found that this is actually a VERY common problem with the Ford Explorer and the only options are to get it fixed at a cost of $800.00 or perform the work around by going through the glove box to manually get the stupid thing to blow heat. I will never buy another Ford again because it's stupid stuff like this that always tick me off with Fords. I refuse now to buy Chevys and Dodge products because of the government bailout so I guess I am stuck buying foreign cars that are more reliable and are a lot less annoying... like my 98 Honda Accord.

- , Quinton, VA, USA

Apr 042010

Explorer LXT 3.0L

I HAVE 2003. I LOVE MY CAR .I WISH FORD WILL HEAR US ALL.FIX THE PROBLEMS.FORD CARS NEED TO LOOK GOOD ON THE ROAD..MY PROBLEMS ARE THE SAME AS OTHERS.HEATER/AC MAKING BANGING SOUNDS.BACK PANELS UNDER BACK WINDOW CRACKED 2 TIMES.SIDE BLACK PANELS BETWEEN THE DOOR FADED.TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS .I CALLED ABOUT THESE PROBLEMS.THERE ARE NO RECALLS .NO.ANSWER.FORD I HOPE YOU READ THIS .HELP US ALL.

- , Downey, CA, USA

Mar 032008

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

When you turn the heater on, there was a loud banging sound. We took it to our local Ford dealer, and they said this was a common problem. They wanted in excess of $900 to fix the problem. They said it's a 8 hour job, as they have to take the whole dash apart. Seems like this was engineered to screw the consumer ! Well, we took the Explorer to our local repair shop (Not Ford dealer), and he fixed it for $800. Our mechanic said that it was the worst design he ever saw. This is another Ford attempt to screw the public, and up revenue for Ford dealer service!

- , Minden, NV, USA