- May 25: Ford Recalls F-150, Explorer and Super Duty Over Bad Welds recalls | 2 days ago
- May 25: Ford Recalls Trucks With Aftermarket Door Handle Covers recalls | 2 days ago
- May 22: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Fumes Plague Police news | 5 days ago
- May 16: Ford Antifreeze Leak Recall May Not Be Good Enough news | 11 days ago
- April 23: Ford Explorer Exhaust Leak Lawsuit Dismissed by Judge news | 34 days ago
2005 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 3)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 97,854 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 47 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- rebuild transmission (25 reports)
- new transmission (17 reports)
- not sure (5 reports)