- July 2: Ford Recalls C-MAX, Escape and Focus For Non-Stop Engines
- June 26: Investigation Into Vacuum Assist Pumps in Ford F-150 Trucks
- June 24: Ford Recalls 203,000 Escape SUVs and Transit Connect Vans
- June 23: Ford 5.4 Liter Spark Plug Lawsuit
- June 7: Ford Fusion Hybrid MPG Lawsuit Says Advertised MPG Is Wrong
2005 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 2)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 95,853 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 39 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- rebuild transmission (19 reports)
- new transmission (17 reports)
- not sure (3 reports)