CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

6.5

1. Ford should recall based on 2002-2005 complaints (105 reports)
  2. Ford should fix it if reported,being it's a known defect!!! (52 reports)
  4. part needs to be replaced (11 reports)
  5. replace (3 reports)
  6. re-initiate the charity repair solution (2 reports)
2005 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Explorer:

2005 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

Mar 032014

Explorer XLT 4.6L

When purchased two years ago, there was no visible signs of defect. I began to notice a small crack on panel in winter of 2013, which got progressively worse as the season wore on. The crack became a full fissure, migrating from the top to bottom edge on the right side of the Ford emblem.

- , Syracuse, NY, USA

May 022014

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6 Efi

The crack just appeared one day on the back door. I take pride on my car and keep it nice & shiny! Now I have this dam crack and Ford should fix since it's a defect. I am also noticing other 2005 explorer's with the same crack. Due to this and the fuel gauge not working all the time is a good enough reason I have decided not to buy any more Ford products, as I have been a dedicated customer for over 20 years....moving on to a nice Dodge Ram!! Let's not mention rotors being a piece of crap from the day I drove it off the car lot brand spanking new.

- , Stem, NC, USA

Jan 082014

Explorer XLT V6

I had this crack mysteriously appear a few of months ago so add me to the list. I am going to purchase the piece myself and repair it for about $100. It's not a matter of just letting it go as water gets into the crack. I am very dissappointed that Ford won't even recognize the fact that there is a problem.

- , Rome, GA, USA

Mar 082014

Explorer

I was unaware that the liftgate crack was a common problem until I was researching how to fix it. I love my truck and am surprised and frustrated that Ford has not taken care of the problem.

- , westerville, OH, USA

Jan 082014

Explorer Eddie Bauer Flex Fuel V6

Another cosmetic flaw Ford knows about and won't fix or even partially reimburse for. Been apart of the Ford family for generations. Guess that doesn't mean much anymore.

- , Detroit, MI, USA

Sep 082013

Explorer XL 4.0L

I would like to see ford repair this problem, since it is a common problem with this vehicle

- , north prairie, WI, USA

Feb 112014

Explorer V8

Went to shut my tailgate one very cold day and it just cracked. It looks bad, I had no idea this was an issue for this model. Ford knew about this and should definitely fix it at no cost.

- , Milford, OH, USA

Feb 172014

cracked panel below the rear window

I am embarrassed to drive my vehicle with this major crack. I use my car with advertising for my business just above this crack. If Ford doesn't fix this, I think I may have to advertise their negligence on my back window too!! There are so many things that constantly break on these vehicles. Its no wonder why people buy foreign cars!!

- , GREER, SC, USA

Aug 152013

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8

cracked panel below the rear window

When I purchased my 2005 Eddie Bauer in 2008, I was aware that many had cracked panels and thought I was pretty lucky to have found one that wasn't. Well, this past summer, mine cracked too. Nothing I did, just came out one morning and it was cracked.

- , Ridge, NY, USA

Oct 292011

Explorer Eddie Bauer

it's an eyesore and annoying since it was NOT due to any rough handling ... it has also caused a cople of pinched fingers if hand is near crack when closing hatch or window. just aggravating since problem seems to be common yet NEVER addressed by FORD!

- , Ashland, KS, USA

Jul 012013

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

My 2005 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer is garage kept and low mileage, as I work from my home office. I literally drive it very little. In 2013, a crack appeared on the panel below the back hatch window. I was horrified. When I called my insurance company they indicated that this is a known problem by Ford, common on many SUV's they produced for a large period of time. They also told me that all of the Ford Dealers know about it (and laugh when we bring them in to be fixed). I contacted Ford in Aug. 2013 with a letter and email and in both cases I was told that it is nothing that they are responsible for. I see other Ford SUV's on the road with a similar crack. When I contacted other Ford owners that share the same problem, they have let me know that the crack starts out as 1 crack and can quickly expand to more. The 'crack' appears because there isn't anything to support the panel and the simple closing of the hatch door causes the damage. The crack also causes water to leak into the interior workings of the door, causing rust as well as damaging the back window wiper. In some cases, the motor stops working completely, in others, it is reduced to 1 of the 2 operating speeds. Ford is not accepting this as a manufacturing defect, even though they changed the design in later models.

- , Venice, FL, USA

Dec 202013

Explorer LTD 4.0L V6

This is an embarrassing problem & Ford should have a recall on this if they value their customers. After all, where would they be without us. When you buy a car you don"t expect to have problems like this. Bail us out Ford before water gets in & ruins the car. Could damage wiring, lights, etc.

- , Belton, SC, USA

Sep 012013

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

Wife closed the trunk/tailgate door after removing groceries and noticed a funny (not so funny) little crack in the big plastic panel under the rear window. As time went on, so did the crack. It now runs from the top to the bottom of the panel. It more than likely lets water into the innards of the tailgate ... where the electric latches are.

It may be possible that, sooner or later, the latches will short-out and cause a fire or just quit working altogether. I sure wouldn't want to be Ford if anyone is injured in the process i.e. kids, dog etc get burned, trapped or fall out of the vehicle.

- , Charleston, SC, USA

Nov 022013

Explorer

I had this fixed in July 2012 and it happened again. So the part they replaced was also defective. This is bs and should be fixed by Ford.. I have been a Ford customer for years but after this , I will look at other models. This is crazy that they would continue to sell this knowing it was defective.

- , Columbus, OH, USA

Jun 112012

Explorer

Was standing next to my car talking to my husband when he said "look your piece under the window just cracked". Nothing was touching it and it was mild weather outside. When I called the Ford dealership about having it replaced, they said $500 to replace and couldn't guarantee it wouldn't happen again. We decided not fix it. Now everywhere I see an Explorer like mine I notice most all of them have a cracked piece right under the window that goes along the Ford logo.

Ford really needs to fix this.

- , Tiffin, OH, USA

Oct 082013

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

Update from Oct 9, 2013: Put me on the crack list.

- , Millbury, MA, USA

Nov 152008

Explorer XLT V6

It is very annoying, when you see every Ford Explorer (same model, or several years) all of them are cracked. We all pay good money for our cars and to have this happen really sucks, because obviously this should have been a recall all ready. Our family has pretty much only owned Ford's and I think my next car will be a Chevy. This is just the first complaint about this car. The Tranny is a whole another story. Stay tuned!

B Starr

Stuart, FL

- , Stuart, FL, USA

Apr 222012

Explorer XLS V6

cracked panel below the rear window

I think this is crap, why if a problem continues to aggravate customers wouldn't ford want to correct this? I thought they were Q1 rated. Quality!!! this is not quality, this cracks on it's own without any pressure or mishandling of the door. Imagine my surprise when I (just bought this a few weeks earlier) came out to my explorer and saw this. I thought how did I miss this when I was looking this vehicle over prior to payment, not to mention my son of 28 years old, sharp as a tack missed it too. I knew better, this just happened over night. I think ford should take care of this just for customer satisfaction.

- , York, Pennsylvania, USA

Nov 012011

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I have seen a lot of explorer with the same problem. Is this not a manufacturer car defect?. They should sent us a recall notice to fix this problem.

- , North Hollywood, CA, USA

Dec 132013

Explorer XLT 4.0L

my cracked rear window panel is annoying since i got it i've noticed most of the explorers i see have the same problem seems to me this should be something ford should fix. they probably won't since it apparently causes no danger to the owners. however, i have been driving fords since 1966. i have owned 8 of them if they don't fix it this one is my last.

- , Fairfield, OH, USA