CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

6.5

1. Ford should recall based on 2002-2005 complaints (120 reports)
  2. Ford should fix it if reported,being it's a known defect!!! (70 reports)
  4. part needs to be replaced (13 reports)
  5. replace (4 reports)
  6. re-initiate the charity repair solution (3 reports)
2005 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Explorer:

2005 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 13)

Dec 052015

Explorer V6

I have a 2005 Ford Explorer with over 117,000 miles on it. I have seen numerous Ford Explorers with the same crack & thought how lucky I was that it didn't happen to mine. That was until Saturday, 12/5 when I went to open the lift gate & there it was, cracked from top to bottom on the right side of the Ford emblem about an 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch wide. And I thought damn it, now I am just like everybody else driving the same truck with a stupid looking crack on the lift gate. And to find out just how dangerous it is. I open the glass lift gate 2 to 3 times a day. I hope like hell the glass doesn't decide to crack....I will be extremely upset if that happens. Does anybody know when & if Ford is going to fix this on going problem that so many For Explorers owners have??

- , Brandon, FL, USA

Feb 162003

Explorer XLT 4,0

Ford needs to fix this problem so when pieces of this sh*t box start falling off people behind me don't get hurt or killed with Fords defective design!!! Great way to advertise your quality junk you people make. No wonder the foreign auto makers are number 1.

- , South Park, PA, USA

Nov 172007

Explorer XLT V6

I have called them several times, as you all know it was a waste of time!!!!!! They didn't care and nothing was done about the problem.

I THOUGHT A PLUMMER WITH A CRACK WAS BAD? BUT IT'S NOT AS BAD AS ALL THE REAR BUTT CRACKS ON OUR FORD EXPLORER!!!

FORD NEEDS TO PULL THEIR HEAD OUT OF THEIR BUTT BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING BUT A BUNCH OF CRAP COMING OUT OF THEIR MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND TAKE CARE OF THIS PROBLEM!

- , McAllen, TX, USA

Jun 092015

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Went out to hook up our camper and noticed the crack from the bottom of the back window down by the emblem and on down to the bottom of the panel. We paid a lot for this vehicle and it shouldn't have any problems like this. We feel this is very dangerous and should be repaired. It can break or fall out and hit the car behind me causing serious car accidents or death. I don't want to be responsible for that happening. I was behind an explorer today with the same problem. It needs to be a recall before it costs them more from somebody dying.

- , Cherokee, NC, USA

Jan 012015

Explorer XLT 4.0L

This problem should be repaired by Ford before more damage is done.

- , Sebastian, USA

Dec 202013

Explorer XLT

Come on Ford, step up. My family has owned Fords for many, many, MANY years. Isn't it worth the word of mouth advertising that we'll do, praising Ford for making this right, that will bring in more business for you? Common sense!

- , Bothell, WA, USA

Jun 012013

Explorer Limited V8

I have been driving around noticing the cracks on the Ford Explorer's from 2002-2005. Mine is a 2005 I though my friend had closed the door to hard when taking his tools out of the back of my Explorer, I owe him an apology. I would like to know what Ford plans are for fixing this problem. I don't feel I should have to ride around with this crack in the back of my vehicle. Looks awful.

- , Cheraw, SC, USA

Mar 072015

Explorer

My insurance company won't fix it because they say that it's a FORD recall problem. FORD says they have not issued a recall on the problem. There are no resources available from them because there isn't a recall or class action suit. Their customer service department told me to keep my receipts so that if a lawsuit happens, then maybe I would qualify. I qualify because I own the 2005 Explorer!! I asked the customer service department at FORD how much this would cost to fix - their answer: we don't know because that's up to the individual dealer. Now I am very concerned about driving my vehicle with this crack because the rear window has less support to it with the crack running the whole width of the rear panel.

- , Mt. Vernon, IN, USA

Dec 262014

Explorer XLS V6

Every 2002-2005 Ford Explorer I see has this crack. I thought I was spared until December of last year when I woke to find my very own crack.

- , Bowie, MD, USA

Mar 312015

Explorer LX V6

I bought my car in August 2014 and got a good warranty for mechanical. It's a nice car, the nicest one I have ever owned. I walked out this morning and there is a HUGE crack on the back panel. After reading this is a problem with these cars. Ford should recall this and fix the problem.

- , Billings, MT, USA

Mar 302015

Explorer XLT V.8

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window

I want Ford to repair this crack on the Lift Gate. This is known defect. Also my roof is rust damaged due to poor paint another known defect for 2005 Explorer.

- , Largo, FL, USA

Mar 022015

Explorer Tail Gate 4.6L

I have owned many Fords and have had good luck with all of them. This Ford Explorer has been a fantastic and reliable vehicle. I keep my vehicles in excellent condition at all times and I find this crack on the tailgate near the ford emblem very annoying and an eye sore. I will have to have this fixed in the near future. This is a problem that Ford Motor Company knew about and did not repair on their vehicles. I feel that this should be a recall and that Ford should take care of their customers.

- , Amherst, NH, USA

Nov 152005

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

DRIVING DOWN ROAD AND THERE WAS A LOUD ''POP''. PULLED OVER TO SIDE OF ROAD, THOUGHT EXPLORER HAD BEEN SHOT. LARGE CRACK DOWN BACK OF TAILGATE. TALKED WITH PERSON PUTTING CARPET IN AT LOCAL FORD DEALER, SAID IT WAS EXPENSIVE TO REPLACE AND HARD TO GET PART OFF. LEAKAGE TO BACK DUE TO CRACK. FORD NEEDS TO FIX.

- , Wilkesboro, NC, USA

Feb 142015

Explorer XLS 4.0L V6

Typical 2002-2005 Explorer/Mountaineer tailgate cracked.

Felt "lucky" I made it this long with my car before it happened. :(

- , Weston, WI, USA

May 022014

Explorer LTD V6

Bought the Explorer with 46000 miles in April of last year. Verifiable one owner and car looked like new in every aspect EXCEPT the crack below the rear windshield. Dealer said the this was standard on Explorers for about a 3 year period. I often see other year Fords with the same identical crack. Ford should have fixed it long before the 2005 model rolled off their line.l

On another note, I notice a lot of people complain and say the Ford was bailed out and should do better. I agree, they should do better, but note that Ford was NOT bailed out. GM and Chrysler were, though. Why I only buy Fords when buying a U.S. (?) manufactured vehicle.

- , BAINBRIDGE, GA, USA

Nov 102014

Explorer XLT Sport 4x4 4.0L V6

Just adding that nothing special caused the crack -- never slammed the lift gate, no accidents, etc. It just showed up. I've also noticed another Explorer in town that has the same problem; we drop off our kids at the same school.

- , Los Alamos, NM, USA

Feb 012015

Explorer V6

I don't understand how Ford, being an established automotive entity, cannot fix the crack that shows up out of nowhere on the rear hatch below the rear window, it is so close to the Ford emblem. It's horrible to look at. People keep saying look, your hatch back is cracked. It just showed up. There was no accident, nothing hit the hatch back, etc.

Why should I have to pay to have a defect that Ford is aware of fixed. They really should honor their customers who chose to buy Ford vehicles. There are plenty of complaints and they can't think that everyone is lying, picture or not.

They should do a recall but I doubt that they will. Since other year model cars have had the cracking issues as well.

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Dec 112014

Explorer

I HAVE HAD SOOOOOOO MANY PROBLEMS WITH MY EXPLORER AND I AM FINDING OUT THAT THESE PROBLEMS ARE HAPPENING TO TONS OF OTHER PEOPLE. I CONSIDER THESE DEFECTS AND FORD SHOULD HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT!

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jan 172015

Explorer LX V6

The crack in the rear panel of my 2005 Explorer has now blown out my rear window. The crack has been there for some time, today I closed the upper part, gently, and the window blew out.... glass went everywhere... my kids almost got blasted by the glass. This problem must be settled by Ford Motor Company, before someone really gets hurt.

- , Clearwater, FL, USA

Nov 182014

Explorer XLT V6

I THINK THIS SHOULD BE A RECALL AS A DEFECTIVE PART. I WAS AWAY FOR THE WEEKEND AND CAME BACK AND NOTICED THE CRACK. I THOUGHT SOMEONE DID A HIT AND RUN AT FIRST, HAD THE PLACE I LIVE CHECK, THERE CAMERAS AND NOTHING SHOWED UP BUT JUST A DEFAULT IN THE PART.

I'M VERY DISAPPOINTED THAT FORD HASN'T TAKEN RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE ISSUE, HOPEFULLY THEY WILL TAKE OWNERSHIP ON THIS.

- , Chatham, IL, USA