CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

6.5

1. Ford should recall based on 2002-2005 complaints (122 reports)
  2. Ford should fix it if reported,being it's a known defect!!! (72 reports)
  4. part needs to be replaced (13 reports)
  5. replace (9 reports)
  6. re-initiate the charity repair solution (3 reports)
2005 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Explorer:

2005 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 13)

Oct 012016

Explorer

I was happy with this truck, Now I am not, body damage such as a HUGE CRACK is NOT suppose to happen from normal wear and tear.

- , Seattle, WA, USA

Aug 022016

2005 ford explorer cracked tailgate. not only cracked but half is missing

- , Summerfield, FL, USA

Mar 202016

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

115,000 miles on our 2005 Ford Explorer and the plastic panel underneath the back glass cracks. Definitely annoying. On road trips we count how many cracked back panels we can find.

- , Jeff, AL, USA

Sep 052016

Explorer XLT 4.0L Flex Fuel V6

Called Ford and they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about. What liers they are! After reading all the complaints on the internet and video's on YouTube. They know its a MFG. defect. There are numerous TSB reports since 2002. Ford was fixing these crack under "goodwill repair" until they figured the the problem was bigger than they thought and shut the program down. I just want my hatch fixed. The sad part is they are still using the same defective parts. So another crack could happen tomorrow or a few years down the road. Another win for Ford and another finger in the ass from Ford to its customers. Ford never again!!!

- , Independence, KY, USA

Feb 152016

Explorer EXP 4.0L

In today's world it is beyond belief that ford won't admit to fault. Only thing I can hope for is a rearender!

- , Waynesville, NC, USA

Sep 122016

Explorer ES 4.0L

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window

This is ridiculous. The panel didn't even have a crack and all of a sudden it comes off! Ford needs to step up and make good on this!!!

- , Riverview, FL, USA

Jun 212016

Explorer XLT V8

WELL! THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FROM 2002 !

It looks link [ FORD} F,Fix-O or R,repair, D daily has not changed in 30 years+ My last FORD was 1960 Sunliner. This 2005 XLT has been a money pit. never ending

- , Muskegon, MI, USA

Dec 012009

Explorer XS

First let me say, I have always had Fords. We also have a F350. That being said, This 2005 Explorer is a piece of crap! One thing after another. I am driving around with a cracked panel right now!

The first time it cracked in 2009, I called Ford (Corporate) they acted like they had never heard of the back panel cracking. Liars! I asked why if that was the case, how come every one I see has a crack? and why if it wasn't a problem, why the whole hatch door was redesigned in 2006? At any rate, they refused to make it good and fix it. My local dealer fixed it at a reduced rate, but I still had to pay out my nose for a repair that didn't remedy the the fact that the replacement part was the same defective part.

This panel piece is this really thin piece of plastic with stress points at the emblem. It is GLUED on, so with heat and cold weather, shrinks and expands and with time, will crack. I actually was outside at the back of my SUV when the damn second one cracked before my eyes. If they won't fix the actual design of the panel, by putting in rivets or something, they could at least retro fit the edges of the door with end clips so that the panel couldn't expand and crack. Idiots.

- , Ocala, FL, USA

Apr 072016

Explorer XLT 4.6L V6

Ford should be held accountable for this problem. Defect in materials,workmanship or original design and engineering. It all falls on Ford to fix. I noticed this problem on other explorers years before it happened to mine,I figured closing the liftgate from one side or the other put uneven stress on the panel, so I always closed the liftgate by pushing on the Ford logo directly in the center. I'll never purchase another Ford unless they make this right.

- , Somers Point, NJ, USA

Nov 012015

Explorer XLT 4.6L

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window

The broken back panel is just one of the few issues with the 05 Ford Explorer. All the sudden one day it just cracked. This vehicle has been a horrible experience owning.

- , Miles City, MT, USA

Dec 302015

Explorer XLT V6

Car was in mint condition until we found the crack. For no reason at all the crack appeared. We are concerned that the window will break or shatter causing injury to us, our dogs or anyone else near the car when and if this happens.

- , Windsor Locks, CT, USA

Dec 052015

Explorer V6

I have a 2005 Ford Explorer with over 117,000 miles on it. I have seen numerous Ford Explorers with the same crack & thought how lucky I was that it didn't happen to mine. That was until Saturday, 12/5 when I went to open the lift gate & there it was, cracked from top to bottom on the right side of the Ford emblem about an 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch wide. And I thought damn it, now I am just like everybody else driving the same truck with a stupid looking crack on the lift gate. And to find out just how dangerous it is. I open the glass lift gate 2 to 3 times a day. I hope like hell the glass doesn't decide to crack....I will be extremely upset if that happens. Does anybody know when & if Ford is going to fix this on going problem that so many For Explorers owners have??

- , Brandon, FL, USA

Feb 162003

Explorer XLT 4,0

Ford needs to fix this problem so when pieces of this sh*t box start falling off people behind me don't get hurt or killed with Fords defective design!!! Great way to advertise your quality junk you people make. No wonder the foreign auto makers are number 1.

- , South Park, PA, USA

Nov 172007

Explorer XLT V6

I have called them several times, as you all know it was a waste of time!!!!!! They didn't care and nothing was done about the problem.

I THOUGHT A PLUMMER WITH A CRACK WAS BAD? BUT IT'S NOT AS BAD AS ALL THE REAR BUTT CRACKS ON OUR FORD EXPLORER!!!

FORD NEEDS TO PULL THEIR HEAD OUT OF THEIR BUTT BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING BUT A BUNCH OF CRAP COMING OUT OF THEIR MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND TAKE CARE OF THIS PROBLEM!

- , McAllen, TX, USA

Jun 092015

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Went out to hook up our camper and noticed the crack from the bottom of the back window down by the emblem and on down to the bottom of the panel. We paid a lot for this vehicle and it shouldn't have any problems like this. We feel this is very dangerous and should be repaired. It can break or fall out and hit the car behind me causing serious car accidents or death. I don't want to be responsible for that happening. I was behind an explorer today with the same problem. It needs to be a recall before it costs them more from somebody dying.

- , Cherokee, NC, USA

Jan 012015

Explorer XLT 4.0L

This problem should be repaired by Ford before more damage is done.

- , Sebastian, USA

Dec 202013

Explorer XLT

Come on Ford, step up. My family has owned Fords for many, many, MANY years. Isn't it worth the word of mouth advertising that we'll do, praising Ford for making this right, that will bring in more business for you? Common sense!

- , Bothell, WA, USA

Jun 012013

Explorer Limited V8

I have been driving around noticing the cracks on the Ford Explorer's from 2002-2005. Mine is a 2005 I though my friend had closed the door to hard when taking his tools out of the back of my Explorer, I owe him an apology. I would like to know what Ford plans are for fixing this problem. I don't feel I should have to ride around with this crack in the back of my vehicle. Looks awful.

- , Cheraw, SC, USA

Mar 072015

Explorer

My insurance company won't fix it because they say that it's a FORD recall problem. FORD says they have not issued a recall on the problem. There are no resources available from them because there isn't a recall or class action suit. Their customer service department told me to keep my receipts so that if a lawsuit happens, then maybe I would qualify. I qualify because I own the 2005 Explorer!! I asked the customer service department at FORD how much this would cost to fix - their answer: we don't know because that's up to the individual dealer. Now I am very concerned about driving my vehicle with this crack because the rear window has less support to it with the crack running the whole width of the rear panel.

- , Mt. Vernon, IN, USA

Dec 262014

Explorer XLS V6

Every 2002-2005 Ford Explorer I see has this crack. I thought I was spared until December of last year when I woke to find my very own crack.

- , Bowie, MD, USA