- August 28: Ford Explorer Exhaust Lawsuit Settled by Parties news | 1 days ago
- August 25: Ford Recalls 113,000 Vehicles in 2 Recalls recalls | 4 days ago
- August 7: France Finds Emissions Problems in 86 Vehicle Models news | 22 days ago
- August 4: Ford Recalls 830,000 Vehicles to Keep the Doors Closed When Driving recalls | 25 days ago
- July 8: Ford Explorer Exhaust Smells Investigated investigations | 52 days ago
2003 Ford Taurus
CarComplaints.com Notes: Most people need a car that shifts gears & coil springs that don't shred tires. The Taurus fails in that respect.
The 2003 Ford Taurus has major issues with the transmission failing. Typically the 2003 Taurus transmission failure costs $2,000 to fix by about 90k-100k miles. Not good.
Adding insult to injury, the 1999-2003 Taurus also has a huge problem with coil springs breaking which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.
The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...
Worst 2003 Taurus transmission Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- transmission failed329
- torque convertor failure32
- transmission is slipping18
- transmission not shifting properly6
- chirping noise coming from transmission2
- transmission fluid leaking2
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission136
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Torque Converter10
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Taurus Model Years
Curious how the 2003 Taurus compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Taurus overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Taurus.