- July 8: Ford Explorer Exhaust Smells Investigated investigations | 20 days ago
- June 29: Ford Recalls 8,500 Cars, Trucks, Vans and SUVs recalls | 29 days ago
- June 7: Sports Car Crash-Test Ratings All Over the Place news | 51 days ago
- June 1: Ford Recalls 1.9 Million Vehicles to Replace Takata Airbags recalls | 57 days ago
- May 25: Ford Recalls 271,000 F-150 Trucks For Leaking Master Cylinders recalls | 64 days ago
Transmission Fluid Leaking
CarComplaints.com Notes: Most people need a car that shifts gears & coil springs that don't shred tires. The Taurus fails in that respect.
The 2003 Ford Taurus has major issues with the transmission failing. Typically the 2003 Taurus transmission failure costs $2,000 to fix by about 90k-100k miles. Not good.
Adding insult to injury, the 1999-2003 Taurus also has a huge problem with coil springs breaking which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.
The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 90,449 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 2 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- add a transmission vent (1 reports)
- replace the transmission rubber pan seal (1 reports)