- August 1: Toyota Dealer Roger Hogan Sues Toyota Over Recall Program news | 22 days ago
- July 25: Toyota Sienna Sliding Door Lawsuit Says Systems Are Defective news | 29 days ago
- July 22: Toyota Recalls Avalon Hybrid and Camry Hybrid recalls | 32 days ago
- July 20: Southeast Toyota Distributors Recalls Tacoma and 4Runner recalls | 34 days ago
- June 29: Recall: Lexus ES 350 Cars Can Lose Steering Control recalls | 55 days ago
2003 Toyota RAV4
CarComplaints.com Notes: If you're looking for a vehicle with one of the most complained about transmission on the road, look no further than the 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4.
In 2001 Toyota completely redesigned the popular SUV. While some enjoyed the new look, they did not enjoy the harsh shifting, jumping from gear-to-gear and eventual transmission failure that cost owners well over $3,000 to fix. The problem stems from a malfunctioning Electronic Control Module (ECM).
Consumer outrage coupled with pressure from different agencies led Toyota to extend the warranty nationwide back in 2010. The previous power train warranty only covered 5 years/60,000 miles, while the extended warranty now covers the transmission and ECM for 10 years/150,000 miles. Toyota also pledged to reimburse any owners who had previously paid for repairs, if they had "proper proof". Good luck collecting on that one.
Worst 2003 RAV4 engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- oil sludge in engine7
- engine check light on1
- excessive oil consumption1
- kicks out of gear1
- loss of power while driving1
- smoking at start up1
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control25
- NHTSA: Engine19
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling15
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine8
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline: ...2
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Accelerator Pedal1
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cruise Control1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Toyota RAV4 Model Years
Curious how the 2003 RAV4 compares to other years?
Check out our Toyota RAV4 overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the RAV4.