4.0

1. use middle finger (1 reports)
1997 Chevrolet Cavalier electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier:

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Owner Comments

Jun 102008

Cavalier 2.2L

A few weeks ago, my horn decides to go on strike. Now, I was never mean to it, used it frequently and it loved it. Now it gives me all sorts of attitude, and only works when it wants to. We use to be best buds (sob). SO I got a new friend. When my new friend started acting the same way, I thought, well maybe it wasn't my friend after all. (and that made me feel guilty-NO! it wasn't my fault! I didn't know, I swear!!) 1 hour after taking my dash apart to find the horn relay (which Hanes [manual] is no help by the way) my father reaches under the dash and finds it,[ >.< ]and replaces it with a new one.

Another hour later and many censored words, I hook back up the battery and....NO FRIEND! (aka horn for those of you inept at paying attention) So I take apart the plastic around the steering column and notice theres a black wire near the ignition that is not hooked up. I hook it up. I also look under the air bag to see if I can find the horn button that is probably the cause of all this pain and misfortune. I don't know what I'm looking at, so that doesn't help. Buttttt, I go to a junk yard and get a steering column off of same year, model, etc. thinking maybe I'm missing a part inside somewhere? Yeah- no. Not helpful. I wish my steering column would set fire like on those recalls so I can have a horn!

- , Plainfield, CT, USA