1. check water temp sensor and wires (1 reports)
2002 Chevrolet Cavalier transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier:

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Owner Comments

Mar 012008

Cavalier Full Package Hi-Tec

OK, So this started out looking like an AC issue. The AC would kick in and out, idle would go up and down and temp gauge would go on and off while driving, idling etc. If this was going on the tranny would act like it was going to blow up or throw you out of the car during shift. I finally got a code mentioning the water temp sensor after checking everything I could think of. I received various error codes and her dash was lit up like a party. I ordered a sensor and while waiting for it to arrive I disconnected the old one to ensure I was ordering the right thing (not stocked in store) and they tried giving me a air temp sensor twice. After I reconnected the water sensor the issue went away and hasn't happened since. The computer causes all kinds of cascading failures when the water temp reports an issue.

She DID also need brakes but didn't affect this issue. We've done the front and they work perfect but she still needs rear brakes (Service, ABS and Trac off lights are on) Hoping doing the rear brakes will kill the lights. no other error codes and no problems except the lights on.

- , Tulalip, WA, USA

Jan 082008

Cavalier 4 cyl

The trac off light comes on every once in a while and the transmission seems to

shift really hard. If I turn off the car and restart it, it's fine. Does anyone know what

it could me. The mechanic said he could not get the car to shift hard.

- , Jourdanton, TX, USA