1. replaced door hinges (1 reports)
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier:

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Owner Comments

Sep 172008

Cavalier 2.0L

I use my car for work and put on about 50,000 km every year so just about every complaint listed here, I've had! I bought the car brand new. GM service sucks. Needless to say, the new car I just bought is NOT a GM. (It's a Nissan.) I'm still using the cavalier for work and will continue to do so until the next large repair bill when it'll just be parked for good. I'm listing my complaints here because they all seem to be so common and the more complaints filed here, the more power.

My cavalier is now 5 years old, fully paid for and has about 250,000 kms on it. Other than these annoying problems that seem to occur for everyone, it doesn't drive too badly for an old lady of 250,000 kms. (My fingers are crossed as I say that.)

The problem with the door hinges wearing out started last winter (2007). The passenger door would not close - it wouldn't 'catch' and would just bang against the metal 'latch' I guess you'd call it. I had to go to an auto body repair shop. They explained how the two door model cavaliers, which my car is two door, use the same hinges as the four door. The two door model doors are very heavy and this slowly bends them down. They replaced them with a couple they got from an auto wrecker at the cost of $350.

September 2008, one of them (passenger door) wore out again and they replaced it again, telling me it was a common problem with Chev and that Chev's pickups even had a door hinge pin repair kit. Unfortunately, the cavaliers don't have that repair kit available so I had to get another hinge installed.

I never, ever lean on my doors, by the way.

- , Cornwall, Ontario, Canada