Print this page Notes: Widespread instrument panel failure is a common and frustrating reality for many 2004-2005 Chevy Cavalier owners. They're often left in the dark when it comes to knowing how fast they're going, what their engine temperature is, or even how much fuel they have left in the tank.

The likely culprit is a series of bad "stepper motors" which control the gauges and are no longer covered under warranty. Think not being able to see your speed is a safety issue and should be recalled for all owners? We'd agree. Trouble is, apparently the NHTSA does not.

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier:

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Owner Comments

Aug 252005

Cavalier 4-cyl

In wet conditions my 2004 Cavalier does not stop well. When I went through the car wash it almost didn't stop when I approached the road, narrowly avoiding an accident. When I took it to the dealer, they told me that they didn't have any problems when they washed the car and then drove it. So they sent me away and didn't fix anything. I'm scared that my teenagers may not be safe in this car in wet conditions. I have no problems with my Envoy or my vibe at the same car wash. I've worked at GM for 30 years and take good care of my cars.

- Ottawa, OH, USA