CarComplaints.com Notes: Widespread instrument panel failure is a common and frustrating reality for many 2004-2005 Chevy Cavalier owners. They're often left in the dark when it comes to knowing how fast they're going, what their engine temperature is, or even how much fuel they have left in the tank.

The likely culprit is a series of bad "stepper motors" which control the gauges and are no longer covered under warranty. Think not being able to see your speed is a safety issue and should be recalled for all owners? We'd agree. Trouble is, apparently the NHTSA does not.

1.8

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier:

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Owner Comments

Apr 022014

Cavalier 4-cyl

Bought used had 109000 first time the clutch went out on me I was exhilarating to move into heavy freeway traffic and it goes out, especially as a young woman I was very scarred for my life to this day I have nightmares, got it fixed but no really cause it still does it we just have to keep putting dot 3 at the clutch line. Its annoying, a waste of time, waste of my money, and has caused domestic disputes. Come on do something please!!

- Zavalla, TX, USA

Jul 032014

Cavalier 4-cyl

I was driving my -2004 Cavalier after having the slave cylinder replaced 2 month's prior. Nothing seemed out of place until my clutch peddle went to the floor and did not return. I pulled over after nearly colliding with another vehicle investigating the potential problem. I looked in the clutch reservoir and noticed no fluid. I placed more fluid in the reservoir manually moving the clutch peddle up and down until I had a peddle. I then made it home so I could further investigate the problem. The linkage for the shifter had over time rubbed a hole in the hydraulic clutch line causing failure in the whole system. I am not one to complain about vehicle issues because most of the time the issues do not almost kill me but in this case had I not known what to do to get the shifter out of gear I would have hit a ever slowing line of traffic at 70 mph causing a massive accident. GM please recall your mistake before you kill more people with your faulty craftsmanship.

- Norcross , GA, USA

Apr 232014

Cavalier 4-cyl

Clutch fluid leak from slave cylinder detected 4/19/14. Fluid level in master cylinder was low but not dangerously so, so I added dot-3 to master cylinder. Evening of 4/22 noticed no new leakage on garage floor. On morning of 4/23 en route to work, noticed clutch engaged much closer to floor than usual, and had much more "play" between it's normal position and when clutch began to engage. In city-street traffic, speed limit 50 mph, clutch began to seize, causing inability to shift into another gear. Clutch pedal to floor, car in gear, right foot off gas, car moved forward under power. Turned around to head back home and within two miles clutch went back to mostly normal operation. After another 3 miles (the entire trip was on city streets with speed limits between 40 and 55 mph, including lots of stoplights=more shifting) clutch seized up entirely. Pedal flat to floor, needed toe under lever to pull it back up. Stuck in 3rd gear, no amount of pumping the pedal would alleviate the problem. Upon stopping, checked fluid level in master cylinder and it is slightly lower than when it was filled on 4/19, but level had not changed in 24 hours. Unable to shift into any gear, car will need to be towed home then to shop.

- Farmington, MN, USA

Sep 122011

Cavalier 4-cyl

Replaced defective shifter control cable. I have a 2004 Chevy Cavalier, 4 cylinder engine, mileage: 40,850.I am the orignial owner, purchased it new from Chevrolet. I became aware of the defect when I came out of work and went to my parked car, started the car, and when I shifted my automatic transmission lever, the car would not move. None of the gears were working. I had to call a tow truck and wait over two hours and had it towed to a Chevrolet dealer 10 miles away for diagnosis and repair. It cost me over $400 to get it repaired by the Chevrolet dealer. I asked Chevrolet if there was a recall on the shifter control cable and he said there was none that he knew of. I searched the internet for some information on the shifter control cable and found numerous complaints on the same thing happening to them with the same type car. This car should be recalled by General Motors - Chevrolet division. This is a very dangerous thing to happen to anyone. I could have been on the road or parked on a hill which might have caused harm to me or any other driver of my car.

- Margate, FL, USA

Jun 152007

Cavalier

While driving in my car one day I intended to shift into 3rd gear, but it only made a grinding noise. I can only assume since the noise persists even with rev matching that its a syncro/cone problem. I try to shift during the proper RPM area, and sometimes it will shift without a problem other times it grinds. I have no idea why. It had approximately 45,000 miles on it then, now around 70,000, still has the issue.

- Ravenna, OH, USA