CarComplaints.com Notes: Widespread instrument panel failure is a common and frustrating reality for many 2004-2005 Chevy Cavalier owners. They're often left in the dark when it comes to knowing how fast they're going, what their engine temperature is, or even how much fuel they have left in the tank.

The likely culprit is a series of bad "stepper motors" which control the gauges and are no longer covered under warranty. Think not being able to see your speed is a safety issue and should be recalled for all owners? We'd agree. Trouble is, apparently the NHTSA does not.

8.7

2. replace wires due to "environmental corrosion" (1 reports)
2004 Chevrolet Cavalier lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier:

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Owner Comments

Feb 232009

Cavalier LS

This has happend to the car three times now. The past two times the dealership has eaten the cost on it. I have had the blue, tan and now light blue wires replaced. They are saying this is due to "environmenal corrison". These wires are releated to my headlights about once a year a headlight starts acting up and a "wire needs replaced"

- , Charleston, WV, USA

Dec 182008

Cavalier LS

I have also had the instrument cluster replaced, driver side window motor replaced, back up switch and harness replaced. . Oh yes and after owning the car not even a month the radio started going haywire, it won't keep stations, if I am listening to a CD when I get out of the car I am listening to the radio when I get back in an vice versa (this is all very RANDOM) and the latest is I have gotten out of the car KEY in hand radio was off I get back in the car and the radio is on.And of course the dealership can never get this to happen when they have the car. I also am having the ABS light issued that others are having.

Has anyone else had all these electrical issues? I have called GM and they dont seam to think it's their problem

- , Charleston, WV, USA

Nov 292006

Cavalier LS

The car's headlights have failed four times now. GM says that there is a short in the wiring harness. I was informed by the shop that every time the headlights fail the harness has to be repaired a little further up the line. When I sold my house this year I used the proceeds to pay off this lemon and buy a 2005 Mailbu Maxx. The Cavalier sits in the drive and is rarely driven out of fear of a massive electrical failure.

- , Flat Rock, IN, USA