3.0

1998 Chevrolet Corvette electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Chevrolet Corvette:

1998 Chevrolet Corvette Owner Comments

Feb 252016

Corvette

The contact owns a 1998 Chevrolet Corvette. The contact stated that while driving approximately 75 mph, the vehicle lost power. The column lock failure warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the harness kit needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, however the failure recurred. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 04V060000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 41,000.

- Morton, IL, USA

Jul 062016

Corvette

I have owned my 1998 Corvette for two years. The pull key and wait 10 seconds and the service steering column lock errors are crippling me enjoyment of the car. I have installed an lmc5 module last year and the problems will not go away. The recall on the service column lock was performed on the car which removed the actual locking mechanism on the steering column. But the car will not move over two miles per hour with the error message and I have found no fixed that help me. What is GM doing about the horrible horrible problem on their most distinguished car model.... ? all instances happen when first stariting the car no matter how long it has sat. Battery is perfect. I very rarely dive the car, but when I do I have this horrible problem and it is getting worse.

- New Castle, PA, USA

Sep 042014

Corvette

The dic showed "service steering wheel lock", remove key and wait 10 seconds. There was a recall on 97-2004 Corvettes for this. My VIN does not show up but GM service bulletin louieinli #04006cc (electronic column lock) covers vehicle vins from W5100001 to W5131069. My steering wheel locked up coming out of my garage. I have less than 37,000 on it. Why was my VIN omitted from your recall?? it has cost be $600 for repairs.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Oct 262015

Corvette

A recall was taken care of 7/17/14. I am having the same issue again. Steering column locks, and stalls. Car cannot be moved. The dealer and their support advisers cannot find a fix. Their solution is to remove the lock kit, bypass the safety mechanisms, charge me $450. A harness and lock kit are at fault. They will not cover the issue. I am left with the car without the safety feature. Car can be easily stolen, steering wheel turns without a key.

- North Babylon, NY, USA

May 202015

Corvette

The contact owns a 1998 Chevrolet Corvette. Prior to the contact owning the vehicle, it was repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 04V060000 (steering). The repair did not correct the failure. The service column lock warning lamp illuminated randomly and the vehicle stalled several times. The steering wheel locked and would not unlock. The contact was unable to drive over 2 mph each time the failure occurred. The vehicle was towed to a certified mechanic who replaced the column lock bypass. The manufacturer was notified of the failures, but provided no remedy. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Jackson, MI, USA

Dec 302013

Corvette

The contact owns a 1998 Chevrolet Corvette. The contact stated while at a complete stop, the vehicle accelerated unexpectedly with the illumination of the posi traction and ABS warning indicators. The brake pedal was depressed and the vehicle failed to slow down until the gear was shifted into the park position. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the steering harness and an unknown part related to the front engine was replaced. The failure persisted and the vehicle was taken to a different dealer where the master computer and alternator were both replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 71,722.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 302009

Corvette 8-cyl

Approximately 3 years ago my 1998 C5 Corvette coupe experienced fault codes and warning lights associated with a failure or failures within the electronic brake traction control module (ebtcm). I tried to replace the electronic module that mounts to the ABS pump a few times with used modules and the problem was never resolved. Last summer I put the Corvette into the service center at the local Chevy dealership and told them to fix the problem and clear the fault codes. When I picked up the car and started it the codes and warning light was still there. I enquired why and was told that GM no longer supports the ABS/traction control module for the older Corvettes. I was told by the Chevy "certified" technician that the car was safe to drive without ABS and traction control. I added that it was safe as long as I didn't drive in rain or snow.

- Medford, NY, USA

Jul 012007

Corvette 8-cyl

Very bad fuel odor when gas tank is filled..happens very time car is fueled..no visible gas leaks.

- Wappingers Falls Falls, NY, USA

Sep 122008

Corvette

The contact owns a 1998 Chevrolet Corvette. The contact started the ignition and heard a loud noise. All of the warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel and remained so until the engine was turned off. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, but was not repaired. In rainy weather conditions, water leaked from the front driver and passenger side windows. Also, the trunk sustained water leakage and caused a strong odor and mildew. On a separate occasion, the vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for the water leakage failures; however, the failures still persist. The vehicle has not been repaired. The VIN was unknown. The current and failure mileages were 42,000.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Mar 112003

Corvette 8-cyl

While driving the fuel indicator read the wrong reading which caused the vehicle to run out of fuel.

- Plantation, FL, USA