1998 Chevrolet Corvette engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Chevrolet Corvette:

1998 Chevrolet Corvette Owner Comments

Jul 062016

I have owned my 1998 Corvette for two years. The pull key and wait 10 seconds and the service steering column lock errors are crippling me enjoyment of the car. I have installed an lmc5 module last year and the problems will not go away. The recall on the service column lock was performed on the car which removed the actual locking mechanism on the steering column. But the car will not move over two miles per hour with the error message and I have found no fixed that help me. What is GM doing about the horrible horrible problem on their most distinguished car model.... ? all instances happen when first stariting the car no matter how long it has sat. Battery is perfect. I very rarely dive the car, but when I do I have this horrible problem and it is getting worse.

- New Castle, PA, USA

Apr 302014

Corvette 8-cyl

While driving, the steering wheel suddenly locked and the engine shut off. The car was stuck in the roadway. The car was towed to the local dealer, who said a critical recall was never done. Although I am the original owner, I never received a recall notice from GM. The recall, which I later found to possibly affect 120,000 Corvettes from 1997 to 2004, was performed according to GM instructions. However, the recall only consisted of removing the steering lock pins. The likelihood of fuel system shut off still existed. The dealer said the GM recall was ineffective, GM was aware that the recall was insufficient, and said the entire mechanism needed to be replaced in order to prevent future recurrence. The replacement was then done at my cost. As a licensed professional engineer I believe the inadequate GM recall remediation is a serious safety defect. I was told by the dealer that the defect usually occurs after 60,000 to 80,000 miles. However, most Corvettes are driven well beyond this point. I wrote to GM, but they are not taking this potentially dangerous condition seriously.

- Shirley, NY, USA

Dec 302013

The contact owns a 1998 Chevrolet Corvette. The contact stated while at a complete stop, the vehicle accelerated unexpectedly with the illumination of the posi traction and ABS warning indicators. The brake pedal was depressed and the vehicle failed to slow down until the gear was shifted into the park position. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the steering harness and an unknown part related to the front engine was replaced. The failure persisted and the vehicle was taken to a different dealer where the master computer and alternator were both replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 71,722.

- Miami, FL, USA