2005 Chevrolet Corvette brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Corvette:

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 052016

Corvette

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Corvette. While driving 50 mph, the roof panel separated without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V491000 (structure). In addition, the contact mentioned that the anti lock brakes engaged independently and pulled the vehicle to the right. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician stated that the steering reposition sensor, calipers, and rotors needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 62,835.

- 4303 Melissa Way, AK, USA

Mar 142016

Corvette

While driving through a parking lot at roughly 10mph, my car jammed on the front left, then both front brakes, bringing me to a sudden stop. Active handling was showing in the driver information cluster just like when your car loses traction for any reason... I thought this was very odd as it wasn't raining, no sand or fluids were present on the road in front of me, and I was barely touching the gas pedal. I then checked to see if I had run something over or if anything was jammed in the wheels/brakes.... nothing visible. I get back in, reverse just fine, but as soon as I shift back to first and attempt forward motion boom it jams the brakes on again. I then re-clutched, tried again with a little more gas, thinking maybe I do have something stuck under the car.... nope, it still brings me to a stop immediately. At this point, I was freaked out....(needless to say) I held the active handling (traction control) button down until the system was fully disabled, after doing this I was able to drive the car back to work. I then found out about the recall and called the dealer. They told me that this recall for active handling had been completed in 2010. I asked them to please verify this as I had a headlight recall to do anyways and scheduled an appointment. Long story short... the service adviser told me that the previous repair had failed and that it needed to be done again. He then tells me that they do not have to fix my car because they already repaired it back in 2010 and that it would be up to me to cover the cost. After trying for over a week to convince them to do the right thing, I gave up and paid them for the repair. Im very worried that this will also not hold up. If this repair failed in the past, who is to say that it wont happen again, and this time it could cause a crash, even death. Please help, someone has to hold these people accountable.

- Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA

Jan 172016

Corvette

I was driving my car in a business section of town, I stopped at a stop light and made a right hand turn on red as the car straighten out I accelerated and the right front wheel locked up causing me to loose control hitting the curb and almost got rear ended. A message on my information display said service traction control. I put the car in park and turned off ignition then restarted message was gone and the brakes released. Thank goodness no one was injured. I'm afraid to drive this car.

- Marion, IL, USA

Oct 232013

Corvette

Service active handling came on as I touched the brakes. Car pulled to the right. Trying to stay out of the right lane I applied the brakes harder the car jerked to the right. Seems the harder brakes were applied the harder to the right it pulled.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Jun 122015

Corvette

First occurrance was a month or two ago. We were exiting a parking lotat about 5mph when the car's active handling locked the right side brakes to where I could not keep the car straight. I could not accelerate without a heavy throttle to overcome the brakes. Service active handling icon lit. I had to shut the car down for a minute then restart to clear the brakes. This has happened several times since, almost identically. The car was checked by the dealer but there were no stored codes for them to follow up on. Apparently the "mechanics" cannot physically inspect cars anymore. Recently and after the dealer serviced the car, it has happened several more times with my wife driving. It is back at the dealer as we speak. We are both beginning to be worried about our safety and that of other motorists.

- Upland , CA, USA

Oct 312014

Corvette

A strong fume odor enter my house as if something was burning, my Corvette was in my garage it hasnt been used in more than 3days.....I noticed it was coming from the bottom of the car, and in effect it was! contacted my mechanic and he advised me that it was the ABS system caught on fire damaging the conector, module and regulator. He found a leak of brake fluid thru the modulator that cause the modules cables burned the connector. Had to change all the ABS system since Chevrolet modified the previous ABS system cause it was defective. However no recall has been made to this system. An aprox $3500. In repairs for a system that they know is defective. We were lucky nothing else in our garage/house got damage it was an scary situation.

- San Juan, PR, USA

Feb 192015

Corvette 8-cyl

Just as leaving dealership for low beam recall, 2 miles, used cruise to 35 mph, 10 clicks of button to 45, then again to 55. When car reached 55, I felt the car nose forward like I cut cruise w/ tap of brake. I did not. Warning light/ cruise disengaged, still looking at dic car nosed down and squatted with warning light reduced power, this caused the car to slow to 35 and feel as though I was pumping the gas and brake alternately like when we were kids and used to watch the wife's head go back and forth. Before getting off road more lights and warnings. Its hard to say which came first, it all was happening fast and as a surprise. I know service active handling, traction control and ABS messages came on. Don't think they took priority over the reduced engine power though. I remember seeing it, all the way back to the dealer. Slowed and pulled into huge lot. Now it was my head doing the back and forth dance with the car @ idle, it sounded like the main bearings weren't getting any oil and wanted out of that engine at any cost. So upset with the bearing noise, I got back on the road (picking up rpms) headed back to dealer in a limp mode (35 mph) even when the posted speed went down to 25 mph, the car did not lower rps as I pressed harder on the brakes. There is more to complain about but that will remain between the service manager, GM, and myself to resolution. Stayed at dealership approx. 10 minutes. Car started fine and I left.I always drive the same, and when the car reached 55 mph at the exact same place, it all happened again the exact same way! had to bring the car home in limp mode, about 10 miles from home. Again @ 35 mph. Car remains parked, put away, and covered, until the dealership contacts me to return with it, by Tuesday of this coming week, so sayeth the GM rep. If not he wants me to call him back.

- Cottonport, LA, USA

Jul 222014

Corvette 8-cyl

Turned the steering wheel completely. "service stability control" message appeared. Brakes applied automatically and pulled hard to the right. I could not steer. Turned car off the middle of the street. Car was "normal" until the steering wheel get turned completely. Scared it will happen at highway speeds.

- Minot , ND, USA

Apr 172013

Corvette 8-cyl

Automatic shifter gets stuck in park. Following the manual procedure does not help. Pushing release button does not help, pushing shifter forward does not help. This has happened at least 25 to 30 times. Dealer says replace shifter to fix. What's to stop this from recurring? this appears to be a safety problem.

- St Cloud, FL, USA

Nov 032014

Corvette

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z06. While driving 30 mph, the hard top cover detached from the vehicle. The contact stated that the active handling control for the brakes automatically engaged, which caused the vehicle to crash into a guardrail. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact did not sustain any injuries. A police report was filed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000. Updated 4/13/15

- Rio Linda, CA, USA

Nov 252013

Corvette 8-cyl

Service active handling system warning comes on brakes randomly lock.

- Citrus Heights, CA, USA

Sep 012014

Corvette 8-cyl

I am having the exact same issues as described in NHTSA campaign number: 14V251000. Brake lights are staying on when not depressing the brake pedal.

- Biloxi, MS, USA

Aug 162014

Corvette

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Corvette. While driving 35 mph, the front driver side brake intermittently seized and pulled the vehicle to the left. The contact mentioned that an unknown warning sensor illuminated. The dealer stated that a stare within the steering column needed to be installed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 14,200.

- Prestonsburg , KY, USA

Jun 282014

Corvette 8-cyl

I was making a right turn into my neighborhood at approx. 20 mph when right front brake locked up and vehicle swerved to the right. Vehicle would lock up every time I tried to go therefore I had to cut ignition off and restart. This has occurred now three times and each time the brakes locked up and vehicle swerved to the right each time and would not go! I was traveling at a low rate of speed on each occurrence and was making a right turn on each occurrence. We took the car to youman's chevolet in macon, ga after the first incident and the charges to investigate the problem were going to be so outlandish that we did not pursue. They did not even consider checking to see if there could be a recall on this problem or any other problems we have gone to them with during the last seven years. At that point, we went to a car repair place that we use frequently on all of our vehicles and have a good relationship with. They ran a diagnostic test on the car to check for an error code on the computer but nothing showed up. The technician said that it has not done this enough times to register the problem yet. Since that time, we generally drive with the traction system off when driving in town as it is somewhat scary when the situation occurs. This has not happened to date when the traction system is off and has also not happened when traveling at a higher rate of speed.

- Macon, GA, USA

Jun 052014

Corvette 8-cyl

Was driving at highway speed and active handling message showed up in the dic on the instrument panel seconds later the antilock brakes seemed to lock on one side only and tried to pull steering wheel out of my hands I was able to get the vehicle off the road and after cycling the ignition switch the notice went away and the vehicle operated normally again.

- Griffin, GA, USA

Apr 252013

Corvette 8-cyl

This is a recurring but intermittent problem with the exact same symptoms as described for non-Corvette GM models in NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 "the brake lights to illuminate without the brake pedal being pushed; the brake lights to not illuminate when the pedal is pushed; difficulty disengaging the cruise control; moving the gear shifter out of the 'park' position without pushing the brake; and disablement of crash avoidance features such as traction control, electronic stability control, and panic braking assist features." I have noticed that the problem often initiates when driving over a bump, suggesting an intermittent open or short wiring issue. Then later things will return to normal for days or weeks. Chevy dealer first recalibrated the "brake pedal position sensor" then later replaced and recalibrated it; both non-warranty repairs. The problem continues with the next recommended action to replace the BCM at $700+ cost.

- Azle, TX, USA

May 072014

Corvette 8-cyl

While making a left hand turn from a stopped position the right front brakes started to pulse and grab not allowing me to accelerate more than a crawl. Warning light on dash traction control / active handling illuminates. I was able to limp out of the intersection and come to a stop in a parking lot. With the steering wheel and wheels straight, I again tried to accelerate but the brakes still grabbed. I put the car in park and tried turning off the traction control and active handling by pressing the button on the center arm rest area. Still showing the same message and still not driving correctly. I then shut off the car and restarted. Back to normal driving. Two days later while turning left again, but this time while going 10 mph, I felt the brakes again start to pulse and grab but it corrected itself without me having to restart the car. I do have power telescoping wheel that does retract every time I exit the car. I brought it in to van Chevy today but they found no codes and did say the clip that was installed as part of a recall was still in place. Other than replacing the steering wheel position sensor they do not know what to do or what is wrong. I have had many GM cars before but this issue really scares me.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

May 012014

Corvette

Service active handling light came on and I was making a turn and right front wheel brake locked up. Checked and their was a recall on this year make and model recording malfunction of action handling issued in 2010. Chevrolet dealer ship told me my car wasn't covered under recall but wouldn't tell me why.

- San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

Apr 292014

Corvette 8-cyl

When making a right turn, the car started to lock up just the left front brake only and the drivers information center stated "active handling". the car continued to lock the left front brake about every 10 feet of movement until I put the car in neutral and turned the igntion off then back on again.

- New Baltimore, MI, USA

Apr 042014

Corvette 8-cyl

Several times while I am driving the front tires will lock up, making my car turn sharply either to the left or the right, or when I am making turns, this brings me to a complete stop. The computer tells me to service the active handling system, well I looked into it and GM had a recall on this, the service bulletin number is tsb-06-02-35-002B. I contacted GM and they said that the recall on my vehicle was accomplished, well, (if it was) it is not working as it was intended to work. I cannot drive this vehicle because it is unsafe !!! do you think GM has said this was completed, but wasn't!! I do not want to tamper with my car, because if it was not corrected I would need proof, is there somewhere I can go to see if this sb was in fact completed? GM said to take it to a dealer, I called the dealer, but they we not aware of any problems like this, so I sure don't want to go back to them, just to have them charge $ me for something that they said that they have accomplished already, or if it was accomplished it did not correct the problem. Can you help, because I can not put the vehicle on the road, and take the chance of hurting someone!!

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA