2005 Chevrolet Corvette drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Corvette:

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 212007

Problem with automatic transmission getting stuck in park. Takes a minute or so to be able to get out of park and in to gear

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 182014

Car will no longer shift out of park to reverse or drive. Started happening at 20,000 miles intermittently and by 25.000 miles no longer functions. Replacement is in the $1000 range and should be a recall as it is a manufacturer defective shifter assembly. I had to remove the center console to access the shifter assembly and drill a hole thru the lock mechanism and tie 30 lb test fishing line thru the hole and run the line in to the storage area and on to a large plastic washer. Now every time I want to shift out of park, no matter when or where, doesn't matter, I have to open the lid to the console and pull the washer with my right hand and move the shifter out of park with my left hand.

- Grand Portage, MN, USA

Jul 042016

Unable to shift out of "park", happens intermittently. Same symptoms as other posters. Started at about 40,000 miles and continues to happen, now have about 45,000 miles and it has happened about 12 times.

- Lakeville, MN, USA

Jul 252015

Unable to shift the car out of "park" leaving me stranded. It happens intermittently, and happens 50% of the time.

- Ontario, CA, USA

Jul 152016

Vehicle intermittently will not shift out of park. Car has 79,000 miles. Usually able to shut car off and restart the car to allow it to shift out of park, and sometimes can bump the shifter towards the dash with my hand which allows - somehow - the locking mechanism to release. Vehicle is stationary on flat ground usually when this occurs. Has happened in parking lots, at home, in drive throughs, etc.

- Chester, SC, USA

May 292016

Gear shifter will not come out of park. At times it will take up to 5 minutes before the gear shifter will move out of park. This is an intermittent problem. The dealer service department has ignored my ongoing complaint since I purchased the car. They have offered no help!

- Tarpon Springs, FL, USA

Apr 172016

Automatic shifter gets stuck on park and will not shift out of park randomly leaving stranded different times.

- W. Covina, CA, USA

Jan 012008

Automatic shifter gets stuck in park randomly.

- Redding, CA, USA

Mar 262016

For 2 years when parked I have been pushing shifter forward to get it to release from park. Happens 50 percent of the time. Have 26000 miles on car. Chevrolet fixed once and lasted 100 miles. Research internet shows me many people have and continue to have this problem. Expensive car and Chevrolet should fix this problem. Never had any car do this. Problem severity is enough to sell car and avoid Corvette.

- Granbury, TX, USA

Dec 162015

Unable to shift out of park

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Nov 212015

Unable to shift out of park with foot on brake and engine running. Has happened numerous times.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Nov 022015

Shift solenoid locks and does not allow the vehicle to be released from park

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Dec 152013

Corvette 8-cyl

In December 2013 the automatic transmission suddenly lurched into a different gear as I was driving and would not properly upshift through the gears. Also the check engine light was on. I limped it to the dealer and they cleared the code somehow and gave the car back to me. I only put about 85 miles on the car in 7 months when it did it again in June 2014.I nursed it to the dealer where they diagnosed it as a bad transmission control module(after telling me the battery and ignition switch needed to be replaced which was not correct). The bill was $1328. I picked up the car and drove it home where the same thing happened as I neared my house and the transmission again lurched into a different gear and wouldn't shift through the gears properly. Again I nursed it back to the dealer and they claimed the first module they put in was bad and replaced it. Needless to say this didn't sound to me right but there wasn't anything I could do at this point. I put approximately 850 miles on the car in 11 months and had been experiencing intermittent times when the shifter would not come out of park without numerous attempts. I brought it in May 2015 for the headlight recall and told them of the difficulty getting it out of park. They said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I put less than 200 miles on the car in 4 months when the transmission got stuck in park, in my garage and the transmission shifter cable broke as I attempted to get it into gear. This was September 2015. The car had to be jacked up and put into neutral underneath and pushed out of my garage so it could be towed to the dealer. This trip cost me $873 for a new shifter and shifter cable replacement. I have now read where this is a common occurrence on the 2005 Corvette and I feel a recall should be instituted to replace these defective parts at the manufacturers expense. I am the original owner. Thank you

- Madeira Beach, FL, USA

Aug 042015

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Corvette. While driving at 5 mph, the vehicle came to a complete halt without warning. The vehicle was towed to a dealer but the contact was unsure about what needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. In addition, the contact mentioned that the service active handling system warning light had illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer and an independent mechanic who were unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,900.

- Lake , MI, USA

Sep 022013

My car periodically gets stuck in park and shift lever with not move into drive. This has happened at least 50-75 has happened numerous times when I have been to gas station and various short trips around town....GM needs to do a recall on this issue!!

- Catlettsburg, KY, USA

Jun 052013

Vehicle will not shift out of park, intermittently, but consistently. Numerous fixes have been attempted, several dealerships notified, but they seem to think it is normal. Using "alternative methods" to shift from park to drive do not seem appropriate or safe.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Apr 012015

Automatic transmission will intermittently stick in park. I've seen many similar complaints on the internet and would think GM should have a service notice and a recommended fix at no cost. The car has less than 28,500 miles and only 500 miles since the last repair. I've had this in to the dealer twice in the last 2 months for the same issue. I'm up to $1500 in repair costs with no resolution on a widespread issue.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Apr 112015

Corvette 8-cyl

This has happened multiple times. I start the car and the transmission won't shift out of park. I try several solutions and usually nothing happens but finally, after minutes and much patients, the transmission will shift out of park. This doesn't happen all the time but it comes unexpectedly and I've almost become stranded in a bad situation because of this.

- Smithville, MO, USA

Apr 172013

Corvette 8-cyl

Automatic shifter gets stuck in park. Following the manual procedure does not help. Pushing release button does not help, pushing shifter forward does not help. This has happened at least 25 to 30 times. Dealer says replace shifter to fix. What's to stop this from recurring? this appears to be a safety problem.

- St Cloud, FL, USA

Oct 302013

Corvette 8-cyl

Shifter keeps stuck in park. Will not release. GM has not recalled this and it becomes a safety issue.

- Gahanna, OH, USA