4.3

2008 Chevrolet Corvette engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Corvette:

2008 Chevrolet Corvette Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 242016

Corvette

Yes, when driving the corvette on the highway and the engine blew up and quit working everything potentially causing an accident to me at that time I was very scared.........the valve dropped through the 8th cylinder, while driving almost causing drivers to crash

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Apr 122014

Corvette

The 7L 427 engine has a valve failure problem. The valve heads break off inside the engine while running. This happened to me as I was driving along a highway at 60 miles per hour not accelerating braking or turning, in a very remote part of Texas. The engine seized up. This is a known issue by GM with a much higher than expected failure rate yet has never had a service bulletin nor recall. The car had 18,000 miles on it at the time and had never been to the track or abused in any way. Oil was changed at 3,000 mile intervals by a certified shop. Between towing and repair the total bill was over $ 16,000. Because the car had been in service over 5 years despite the low mileage, GM picked up only 45% of the costs leaving me with over a $ 10,000 bill. This is a high performance very expensive sports car that had a complete engine failure at 18,000 miles.

- Shenandoah, TX, USA

Apr 152014

Corvette

Vehicle is completely stock with only 18,000 miles on it. It has never been on a track or used for anything other than a weekend toy. Complete engine failure as a result of a valve breaking off inside the engine while driving casually at 50 mph. As a result the engine stopped running taking with it the power steering and power assisted brakes. I was on a country road approximately 45 miles from the nearest gas station or service facility of any kind. There was also no cell phone service and was left stranded. I have since had a brand new engine put in at a total cost of over $ 16,000.

- Shenandoah, TX, USA

May 012016

Corvette

Recently my low beam headlights would randomly stop working. At first they would go off and come back on after a couple minutes but now I'L be lucky if they turn on at all. The problem comes from the fuse box located under the hood. In the beginning I would get out of my car and play around with the low beam relay until the lights came on and stayed on but now that does not even help. Its obviously a problem due to the fuse box. I know there are many other corvette owners who have the same issue. I hope GM will fix this problem.

- Panorama City, CA, USA

Aug 082015

Corvette

Engine valves noisy and showed excessive wear at 17,000 miles. Concerns that the engine could fail while the vehicle is in motion, rendering power steering and power brakes inoperable, risking a crash. Had cylinder heads replaced as a precaution to prevent a potential dropped valve.

- Somerset, KY, USA

Mar 152015

Corvette

Had to have the heads reworked because of bad guides at 13,500 miles. Car out of warranty GM does nothing and claims there isn't a problem. Stock 2008 Z06 with 13,500 miles all (8) exhaust out of spec, (3) intake out of spec (5) intake only in spec by.0001-.0004 measurement done by katech/wcch can provide data if needed

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Jun 012015

Corvette

Valve guides on heads were out of sepcification and wiggled visibly with slight side pressure, even when loaded. Heads R&R'd at a cost of $2500

- Winchester, VA, USA

Aug 302011

Corvette

Engine dropped exhaust valve while the engine was turning 6800 RPM in third gear at 118 mph. The engine stopped right at the time I went to shift to 4th gear and the tach dropped to zero. I pulled the car into a run off area and got out of the car because I thought it might be on fire due to all of the smoke.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 012011

Corvette

Engine knock on 6.2 liter engine. When the vehicle sits a knocking occurs in the engine upon startup. It is not a lifter knock, but a knock deeper in the engine GM has noted the problem and made multiple repairs (6+) cam shaft changed but no lifters. Thought this was odd as the wearing surfaces are now dissimilar.GM said this is all they authorized. Knock still present GM then removed upper end of engine. Noted extreme carbon build up on multiple pistons. One piston had so much building apparently close to valves hitting. GM tech advised engine replacement, GM authorized cleaning of pistons: Guess what, knock still present the knocking is a piston or lower end knock. Similar to wrist pins or rod bearing caps or bearings. When knocking occurs engine is rough and pulsates. Time ranges from 30 seconds to couple of minutes after multiple GM repairs knock is still present, noticed engine performance is not the same and with lack of stability fuel economy has dropped

- Woodland Hills, CA, USA

Jul 232015

Corvette 8-cyl

The car had an oil pump failure in July (zero oil pressure in the engine), after which it was towed to an independent shop who is currently replacing the oil pump and verifying that no damage was done to the engine for a cost of about $2000. Upon investigation on my part, GM has known that oil pumps can fail on not only my car but any car with a "generation 4" V8 including a 6th generation Corvettes. They have released to their dealers document pip4158G stating this. I think personally that this is a safety issue and there should be a recall, but at the very least GM should have to pay for any service work done because of this "known" issue. I refuse to take my car to a GM dealer, due to the past treatment of my car by dealers (they are careless) and so GM will do nothing as they say "it can't be diagnosed by anyone but a GM dealer." That's hogwash

- Troy, MI, USA

Aug 232014

Corvette

I had to replace the exhaust valves in my 2008 Z06 in order to prevent catastrophic failure. Replaced 2-piece soda filled valves with 1 piece stainless steel valves. Upon inspection valve guides on #3 had excess slop. Sent heads out for machining and new guides. Stock engine had less than 20K miles. Manufacturer of engine has issued service bulletins acknowledging these errors exist.

- Louisville, KY, USA

May 272015

Corvette

The LS7 engine has a defect that causes accelerated valve guide wear. Continuing to drive the car will eventually lead to a valve dropping and causing catastrophic engine failure. Once this occurs there will be a loss of power steering, power brakes, and water/oil could get on the tires leading to a loss of control of the car. In a few cases fire has erupted. Here are two videos of the issue happening: Https://www.youtube.com/watch"V=tm4mdcix-ki https://www.youtube.com/watch"V=zlt7djnkvny luckily I found the excessive valve guide wear before the engine failed, but it cost me $3000 to have the heads rebuilt. Updated 09/15/15

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Mar 162015

Corvette 8-cyl

Driving normal citystreets 25mph when engine noise started, went another 2 blocks, engine stopped running, towed to Chevy dealer. If this had happened on major highway, possible catastrophic effects.no power steering, brakes, engine oil on roadway, steering wheel lock, wrecks, injuries or possible fatalities. Engine head poor workmanship in these LS7 engines.

- Granite City, IL, USA

Apr 232013

Corvette

This is the second time the engine has stalled while she was driving. The first time the vehicle was only going about 5 mph. The second time it was gong 35 mph. The car will restart. No malfunction were detected by an obd 2 tester. No computer malf. Indications no ck eng lights. The car now is completely dead in the garage. Requires towing. Battery is only 2 to 3 months old.

- Templeton, CA, USA

Mar 162015

Corvette 8-cyl

I was concerned about excessive valve train noise and after reading several Corvette forum threads about improperly machined heads by GM's supplier linamar, and that numerous vehicles have had valves drop and ruin the engines, loosing a valve while driving will result in loss of power assist for steering and breaking while on the road. I took my car with 13500 miles on it to a Corvette specialty shop to have my valve guide clearance tested. I had (8) exhaust valve guide and (3) intake valve guides outside of service specifications, and a combination of (5) other intake valve guides at or near the maximum outside of service specifications. The car is being repaired with proper re-machining of the heads to make the valve guides concentric, new intake and exhaust valve guides installed, as well as new seals, valves, springs, etc. I can provide data on the failed guides for documentation 88% of the Corvette forum members who have had their cylinder heads tested for excessive valve guide wear, were out of service specifications. Source: www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-registry.html GM needs to issue a recall on this issue, there have been numerous engine failures as a result of a dropped valve into a cylinder which can cause accidents and fires. GM is very aware of this issue, but refuses to do anything about this huge safety risk to drivers, passengers, and nearby vehicles if the engine fails going down the road.

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Apr 302013

Corvette 8-cyl

I was concerned about excessive valve train noise and after reading several corvette forum threads about improperly machined heads by GM's supplier linamar, and that numerous vehicles have had valves drop and ruin the engines, I took my car with 40000 miles on it to a Chevrolet dealer to have my valve guide clearance tested. I had intake valve guides outside of service specifications, exhaust valve guides outside of service specifications, and a combination of other intake and exhaust valve guides at or near the maximum outside of service specifications. The car is being repaired with new heads and guides. GM needs to issue a recall on this issue, there have been numerous engine failures as a result of a dropped valve into a cylinder which can cause accidents and fires. GM is very aware of this issue, but refuses to do anything about this huge safety risk to drivers, passengers, and nearby vehicles if the engine fails going down the road.

- Alta, CA, USA

Nov 042013

Corvette 8-cyl

During moderate acceleration and mid range rpms, the engine catastrophically failed on the highway. A hole was blown in the engine block and the car spewed smoke, oil and chunks of metal from the engine all over the road as I veered off onto the shoulder. The suspected issue was faulty heads and improperly machined value guides. This engine was replaced under warranty. The second engine had an issue with the clearance between the crankshaft and the piston arm. After approximately 4500 miles on the second engine, the car locked up and died in the middle of traffic causing a massive traffic jam for about half an hour. I had to push the car by hand in traffic to the farthest edge of the right hand lane since there was no shoulder. After the car cooled down for half an hour I was able start the vehicle and make it to a dealer. This engine was also replaced under warranty.

- Oakhurst, CA, USA

Dec 182014

Corvette 8-cyl

Checked engine heads and valves due to the ongoing engine failures of the LS7 engine. Number 7 inlet valve was found to be stressed to the point of imminent failure due to the factory machining being out of alignment with the valve stem and the valve seat. 2 other inlet valves were found not concentric and were replaced also. The exhaust valves were found to be out of factory specifications with the valve guides so all 16 valve guides and 8 exhaust valves were replaced also and the heads machined to factory specifications. When these engines fail, the engine stops and you have no power steering or vacuum power to the brakes so you struggle to stop the car and steer it to a safe place. The engine block, being aluminum, normally ventilates with a conrod out the side and oil and coolant is deposited on the road surface. Not a good situation in my opinion as we drive our car on major highways fairly regularly. General Motors is aware of the situation and so far has done nothing to show any concern for the motorist who owns the car or the innocent motorist minding his/her own business on the highway.

- Katy, TX, USA

Sep 082014

Corvette 8-cyl

Had my valves checked to see if they were out of spec. I have atleast three exhaust valves that are out of spec. And I'm afraid to even drive the car for fear of dropping a valve in the motor, thus potentially causing oil or antifreeze to leak and get under my tires causing me to wreck my $60,000 car, or cause harm to myself or to other drivers. This is a big safety issue for me and other drivers, not to mention the cost of replacing the motor.

- Jones, OK, USA

Sep 012014

Corvette 8-cyl

Engine started making noise, feeling there could be a failure I drove to my servicing Chevrolet dealer. They listened to the engine and said, that's normal. Not trusting that judgment, I had an independent shop inspect the engine, and had the valve issue resolved at my expense. I was still under extended warranty, which made me angry. But if the dealer says there is noting wrong, what am I supposed to do" after the repair was performed at my expense, I took the failing parts back to the dealer for them to inspect. They admitted they were wrong, but what good did that do me" keep in mind my vehicle had less than 10K miles on it. This is where I feel safety comes into play; had my engine failed and locked up on todays crowed interstates, I could have caused a major accident. The failures I have read about, gave no warning, when the engine let-go.

- Chehalis, WA, USA