2005 Chevrolet Equinox drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Equinox:

2005 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Apr 172008

Equinox was on a recall previous owner received notice, I never did, I have been pursuing this matter for over 7 years, given to the run-around by Chevy can at -1800-222-1020.

- Dorchester, MA, USA

Feb 142014

Equinox 6-cyl

I was driving my 2005 Equinox LX with my two grandchildren when they noticed a smell of exhaust gases in the rear passenger compartment. This was with the heating system on and in its normal configuration. After stopping I checked the exhaust system for leaks and could not identify any immediately with a visual inspection. I opened the hood and noticed the pipe connecting the egr valve to the exhaust manifold was disconnected and emitting exhaust gas into the engine compartment and intake area. It appears that the weld on the pipe boss was cracked. This seems to have occurred prematurely. After calling the dealership for a new pipe I was told by the parts department the pipe was no longer available and I would have to obtain a kit which included the pipe and a new egr valve. My question was this ever considered for a recall item as the kit is $360.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Dec 272012

Equinox 6-cyl

Car will not start unless I change the rear brake fuse. When I change it, it continues to blow out..

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 142013

My center bearings were replaced about 3yrs ago thought it was a fluke though I had heard from many people that this was an ongoing problem. Clunking began under my car again so I knew what it was. Took it to the mechanic and the center bearings were broke again and the bearings and the back of the driveshaft also. The rear U joint was also broken. This is ridiculous as well as dangerous. I take good care of my car no running over logs in the woods or things of that nature how can this keep happening unless it is a defect or flaw in design.this time with the clunking my anti lock brakes were going off every time I stopped too.mechanic had a hard time getting the parts to replace apparently everyone needs them but Chevy sees no problem with this.

- Warren, PA, USA

Jun 152010

Not sure of exact first date clunking sounds under car took it in and the bearings that hold the drive shaft were broken. Mechanic said never saw something like that on a car without any other damage and that when he checked with local dealer was told that it was happening a lot. I reported to Chevy also and yet they said there were no problems.

- Warren, PA, USA

Sep 292013

This vehicle is a joke, I already put money down on it and have only had it a little over 2 weeks. 5 days it was actually in my possession but not able to drive it much. The rest of the time it was at the car lots mechanic, it dies driving down the road, it is hard to start and sometimes won't start after 10 tries, it is shifting hard and not when it is necessary( down shifting when speeding up) and it has a horrible noise coming from the front driver side which the mechanic can't figure out. Not to mention that the fuel pump will need to be replaced thanks to the fuel gauge not working properly... I feel like I just made a very costly mistake( I still owe 6900 on this vehicle... ) Chevy should be ashamed of this vehicle and should be fixing these problems.

- Anderson, MO, USA

Oct 242006

Equinox 6-cyl

Problem with sway bar links, replaced twice. Still problem with front end as chewed up tires...replaced struts, steering shaft, brakes front& back. Front end and brake problems... cost me over $3500 to this point, plus head& rear seal gaskets...

- Dorchester, MA, USA

Jan 222013

Equinox 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the when attempting to start the vehicle, the key would become resistant to being inserted into the ignition. The contact took the vehicle to a mechanic and was told that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The mechanic also stated that they felt the failure was related to NHTSA recall campaign id number: 04V302 (power train). The manufacturer was contacted and stated that the vehicle was not included in the recall campaign. The failure mileage was 166,000 and the current mileage was 167,000.

- Philidelphia, PA, USA

Apr 092013

Equinox 6-cyl

Carrier bearing on 2005 Equinox totally gone. Mechanic discovered that the driveshaft is bent which most likely caused the carrier bearing to wear down. Mechanic said it is very difficult to bend the driveshaft unless the vehicle is in a major accident. I am the original owner of vehicle and it has never been in an accident. I have heard a thumping noise in the rear of vehicle when slowing down for the past 6 yrs. Several shops and dealership were unable to diagnose the issue.

- Overland, MO, USA

Jan 182013

I heard a rattling coming from under the car, so I took it my repair shop. He said it was a broken carrier bearing, and ordered the part. Said it would be $550 for parts and labor. The next day he called and said he wouldn't be able to replace just the one part, but that the entire drive shaft might have to be replaced, for around $1200. Very consistent with other owners' issue.

- Hackettstown, NJ, USA

Jan 092013

Equinox 6-cyl

Infrequently, without warning, this vehicle's transmission will abruptly down shift. The shift will happen as the vehicle slows and violently slows the vehicle immediately. Infrequently this happens as I slow to turn to enter the on ramp for interstate driving. In the most recent case, the roadway surface was very slippery. I was just beginning a right turn and the transmission shifted violently. The rear of the vehicle began to swing to the right as the front tires immediately dropped their speed. This vehicle is not equipped with stability, traction control or anytime of anti skid accessories/options. The slippery road surface greatly magnified the effect of the unexpected downshift and resulting immediate drop in speed. Until this event, the down shifting was so infrequent, I was only remotely concerned about it. My concern up until this event was more focused mechanical and not control ability. I quickly made an appointment with the GM dealer where the car was purchased. They assessed the problem and called me to advise, there is a transmission software update which GM recommends for this transmission. It is not certain it will fix the problem, but most likely it will. I was charged $180. To diagnose and reprogram. When I picked up the car I expressed my concern. GM apparently knows there is a program error which needs an update, and I am suppose to pay to fix the known problem" yet there is no safety bulletin for this known problem" I strongly pointed out this is known problem is a safety issue which can become a serious accident under the right surface conditions. The service adviser agreed with me, however stated to the effect, this software update is the repair GM authorizes. I feel this software update needs to be mandatory for older vehicles operated in slippery roadway conditions, even a service bulletin would help warn unsuspecting drivers.

- Cedar Falls, IA, USA

Apr 062011

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the gear shifter failed. The contact stated that she shifted into park and as she exited the vehicle, the vehicle began to roll away. The contact was knocked to the ground by the vehicle and sustained bruising to the ribs. The vehicle did not crash into anything. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection or repairs. The manufacturer was notified but provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Waterloo, IA, USA

May 212012

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the vehicle was parked with the engine off and the keys out of the ignition when the vehicle rolled backward. The driver side door was damaged as it crashed into the side of a parked vehicle. The vehicle came to a stop and was towed to an auto repair shop by the contact's insurance company. The contact was injured and was taken to the hospital. The police were not notified of the incident. The vehicle was then taken to the dealer who advised the contact that they could not repair the vehicle per the manufacturer. The manufacturer was contacted and stated that in order for them to repair the vehicle, the contact would have to withdraw his claim. The contact was unsure of the outcome of the vehicle. The failure mileage was 73,047.

- Buchanan, NY, USA

Jan 012009

The carrier bearing is faulty on 2005 equinoxes. Our mechanic told us this is a huge problem because it could cause the car to flip over. The major issue is that to repair the carrier bearing, they have to remove and replace the drive shaft. This has to be sent to Chevrolet, and since it can only be done by them, they have a strong arm on the price. ($1200) it is evident that this is a manufacturing defect because when I began to google 'drive shaft Chevy', it gave me 2005 Equinox as a suggestion. The year was specific in the problem.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

May 142011

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the speedometer displayed a reading of zero. The vehicle decelerated and would not accelerate beyond 10 mph. The vehicle was taken to a local repair shop, who replaced the transmission control module, but the failure continued. The manufacturer would not assist with the repairs because the warranty was expired. The failure and the current mileages were 74,190.

- Rumford , ME, USA

Apr 182011

The center bearing on the drive shaft wore out back in April 2011 at 83,000 miles. It was replaced by a GMC dealership. The same component wore out again and required replacing in September 2011.

- Sparta, MI, USA

Dec 262010

The drive shaft failed which greatly reduced power to the wheels. The car became less unresponsive on the road (replacement not covered by dealer warranty) and could not move through minimum snow amounts going up hills on roadways. Vehicle is used for commuting to work (35 miles/day) on paved roads.

- Pelham, NH, USA

Jun 012010

2005 Equinox bought used in 2007at 35000 miles-I was confused why someone would trade such a new car in-brakes continue to wear down-ignition had to be replaced, car would just die going down the highway-car almost feels like brakes are being applied when I take my foot off of the gas-tires that I bought 1 year ago are wearing out-

- Silsbee, TX, USA

Mar 032010

Equinox 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that when it rained, the spare tire holder became filled with water and the passenger rear and driver left side floor became wet. The contact called the manufacturer and was advised to take the vehicle to the dealership. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000. The current mileage was approximately 82,000. Updated 8/18/10 the consumer stated the battery died and the vehicle slammed to a stop due to possible transmission problems. Updated 08/23/10

- Arlington, TX, USA

Apr 052010

My Equinox was taken to dealer who informed me that the drive shaft was being held in place by one rusty piece of metal. He told me that if I were to hit a bump it would dislodge and would cause a serious accident and harm to car. Not good news for a mother. He is replacing this part.

- Garrettsville, OH, USA