1.8

2005 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Equinox:

2005 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

May 202016

Equinox

When I 1st bought the car had to change the suspension, head gasket, antifreeze is disappearing can't see where it's going key comes out the ignition VIN#2cndl73fx56020123 purchased on 8/19/15.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 072016

Equinox

Car overheats and coolant leaks out of no where. Head gasket blows have been reported multiple times on this vehicle. Not safe to drive especially when engine light starts blinking and car shakes like crazy driving down the highway.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Jul 042016

Equinox

I just read thru some of these complaints ans it seem that Chevy is having the sane thing happen when its coming to this 05 Equinox. I just got car about 4 months ago and its going thru the same thing. Im being told its my gaskets but its showing no signs that its blown. Im so frustrated because the 90 days is xpired and I cant run back to the dealer where I purchased it from. And now to find that chevreolet is not even acknowledging that fact that this is going on with a vehicle created by them. This is so unfair to consumers who spend the money to get the car but cant even get the proper response from the company for this issue. I would like to know just how many complaints does it take for chevey to respond to this, I know I counted at least a hundred...I know we take changes when by a used car but at least do a recall on this because it to many people purchasing this vehicle unknowing what problems they will have ahead of them...

- Loganville, GA, USA

Feb 152013

Equinox

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated and the service engine warning light randomly flashed. The dealer was notified of the failure, but the diagnosis was unknown. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 98,857.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Apr 302016

Equinox

I purchased a 2005 Chevy Equinox in May 2015, I have had my normal or changes, every couple of months I have to put 5 quarts of oil is in, the low oil indicator never came on. So now my engine has locked up and I have to get a new engine. I didn't know that they had so many issues with the oil consumption with the used Chevy vehicles.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 012015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving at 70 mph, the head gasket on the engine fractured causing the engine to overheat and water flooded on the engine compartments. The vehicle was taken to be repaired but the details were unknown. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 84,000. Updated 04/14/16

- Vista, CA, USA

Dec 082015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph, the contact noticed smoke coming from the engine compartment as the vehicle lost power. The check engine warning light illuminated. The contact was cncerend for their safety. The contact also mentioned that there was excessive smoke where the police department required closing the road due to it being unsafe for other drivers to drive. The vehicle was towed to a dealer who diagnosed that the head gasket and crack cylinders needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 119,000.

- Holmes, NY, USA

Jun 012015

Equinox

When I am driving my Equinox and have to stop for a light, it will run hot and I have to pull over untill it cools off and the temperature needle goes back down. Then when I turn it off, the fan continues to run for about 5-10 minutes until it cools off.

- Elmer, NJ, USA

Aug 012014

Equinox

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle would suddenly hesitate and jerk when slowing down. Also, the check engine light would come on and the vehicle would suddenly shut off. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who replaced the fluids in the vehicle. The failures were remedied but eventually recurred. The contact also indicated that the key could not immediately be removed from the ignition switch and the engine could not be turned off. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who was unable to determine the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Philadelphia , PA, USA

Jul 112015

Equinox

The first time my 05 Equinox overheated on me was when I was getting ready to party on a hill and it overheated on me then we replaced the radiator and the wires in my vehicle then took it to Nissan and they said that pitts broke my purge valve and tried gluing it back so they fixed that and told me my vehicle was fixed and that it wont overheat on me again well on my way home, I wasnt even 10 minutes away from being home and it overheated on me and anti freeze was all over the ground Nissan told me it could be my head gasket but they weren't for sure but they said since I let someone else fix my car they weren't going to pay for my vehicle to get fixed but I called the other people that fixed my vehicle said they never touched my purge valve and if they did they would have fixed

- Columbia, TN, USA

May 022015

Equinox 6-cyl

Take key out and engine does not shut off.

- Berkley, MA, USA

Jul 122013

Equinox

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving at various speeds, the engine stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 97,000.

- South Bend, IN, USA

Mar 032015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle would suddenly shut off. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who indicated the a computer in the engine malfunctioned. No further information was available. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Fairdale, KY, USA

Mar 122015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle suddenly shut off. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who indicated that the computer in the engine malfunctioned. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Fairdale, KY, USA

Nov 102014

Equinox

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while traveling 35 mph, the head gaskets blew on the vehicle. The failure occurred and the vehicle overheated and stalled. The contact stated that the water pump had been changed prior to the failure, but did not correct the problem. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and it was determined that the head gaskets failed. The failure mileage was 115,000.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Feb 062015

Equinox 6-cyl

I purchased the Equinox about 3 years ago and it had 1 prior owner. Since purchasing the vehicle the battery has been replaced 3 times.. I have had several issues with start up. And recently I have noticed that the car is not shifting properly. On my way home from work last week it felt like the car was just not running properly, I ended up stalling on the highway at a very dangerous intersection.. when I finally it home it stalled again in the driveway.. I'm really having a hard time understanding how this vehicle has so many issues and there have been no recalls! I work hard to pay the bills I already have and really cannot afford to keep fixing thing or pay for a new vehicle.. please tell Chevy to pull their heads out of their butts and try helping some hard working folks instead of trying to kill them!

- Twentynine Palms, CA, USA

May 172009

Equinox 6-cyl

Car overheated going down the interstate (about 65 mph). Blew a head gasket, fixed that. Then overheated a week later while in town driving (about 45 mph) blew a head gasket again.

- Winder, GA, USA

Nov 032014

Equinox

Water noise in dash for several months now. Loosing antifreeze but can't find where. Now the front windshield defroster does not work, only blows cold air. Can become an issue when driving since windshield can fog up and you can't get rid of it with your defroster...

- Windber, PA, USA

Feb 292012

Equinox 6-cyl

While driving at any speeds this vehical boggs way way down to approximately 250 rpms and then jumps back up. Not safe for drivers that are driving behind me when it boggs down. I have contacted GM and have gotten the run around now for 2 years and have replaced a lot of parts to try to fix the problem all because GM said they can't do a recall because it was a model made during the government bail out program. Why is this. The internet is full of people asking about the same exact problems I'm having and like all the other problems GM is having they are striving to cover this on up as well.

- Warnerville, NY, USA

Aug 022014

Equinox 6-cyl

I've had my used 2005 Chevy Equinox for less than a year and have not had any problems with it until yesterday. I had driven 32 miles to visit a relative and parked the car for the rest of the evening. The following day, I went to take a ride with my family, and the reduced engine power and check engine lights went on and the car didn't want to drive normal. I did a diagnostic scan and P0700, P1125, P2125, and P2138 codes came up!

- East Elmhurst, NY, USA