2005 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Equinox:

2005 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 102010

Equinox 6-cyl

Blown head gasket on a 2005 Chevy Equinox with 60,000 miles. Internet research revealed this as a common problem with several Chevy vehicles with 3.4L engines. Some with mileage below 30,000 miles. GM is ignoring issue and up to $3000 repair bills. This is a widespread issue.

- King Of Prussia, PA, USA

May 012008

Equinox 4WD 6-cyl

Replaced two front brake sensors - same side; computer board for antilock brake system went out - cannot afford to replace it; emissions system light is on - checked twice to find out what is wrong; leak in A/C hose when first is a lemon, ,bought it new...when troubles started it had less than 55,000 miles....

- Santa Barbara, CA, USA

May 012010

I am submitting this to inform you of the horrible quality and safety of my 2005 Chevrolet Equinox lt, w/ 3.4L engine. I have just had my engine's headgaskets blow-out at 43,000 miles on a car that has been maintained exactly to manufacturer's specification. The car's braking system is also dangerously under powered. I have worn through two sets of rotors and pads already in 43,000 miles. I do not drive aggressively either. The brakes wear out too quickly and when the rotors warp the braking distances skyrocket and the car vibrates uncontrollably while applying them. This car is a total lemon as I am sure I am not the only person reporting this. Just read some reviews on the 2005 Equinox and you will see - the 3.4L engine put in this car is a design embarrassment for GM. We need some NHTSA assistance, as Chevrolet does not stand behind this product.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 112010

My 2005 Chevy Equinox started overheating this winter. Immediately took it to my mechanic who diagnosed a broken water pump. A few months passed with no issue then it started overheating again. I took it to the mechanic who informed me that the head gasket needed replacement. I've gone on multiple sites that report the same issue with their Chevy Equinox. Although, no one was hurt in my situation, the repeated occurrence of this happening with other Equinox owners is puzzling and should be investigated at the least. In my situation I was on the highway when the car slowed down from 60 mph to under 40 mph. Luckily there weren't a lot of drivers on the road and I was able to pull all the way over across traffic.. this vehicle is not safe and Chevy has even logged this faulty head gasket issue in their service bulletins.

- Crofton, MD, USA

Mar 252010

I have a low mile 2005 Chevy Equinox with a blown head gasket. I've done my reasearch not to find this is a common problem with the 05-09 models. Chevy knows about this and something needs to be done, that is a exreamly costly repair and by the time it happens most of us are out of out warenty.

- Apache Junction, AZ, USA

Sep 102009

2005 Equinox, 70,000 miles, started over heating, took the car to my mechanic and he stated it was a blow head gasket, cost min of $2000. I called GM and notified them of the problem, they asked me to take the car to a GM dealer and they would diagnose and see if GM could help. The car sat at the GM dealer for 3weeks and then GM stated they don't help with any repair costs. The dealer would not release my broken car to me until I paid $100 for the diagnosis, which I already knew, and GM Corp. Would not pay for the diagnosis when they are the ones that sent me there! GM knew about the defect in the head gaskets on the 2005 Equinox, they knew the head gasket would only last for 3-5years. They are not standing behind their product or helping in anyway their loyal customers. I have a broken car I cannot pay to fix and I still owe a year and a half left on my note. I am paying $507 per month on my note for a broken car!

- Palo Cedro, CA, USA

Oct 012008

At approx 125K miles the thermostat failed.

May 012007

At intermittent times, for no reason, the vehicle won't start. It turns over like it wants to but then doesn't. it doesn't do this all the time and there's no explanation as to why it chooses to do this whenever. I usually have to give it gas in order for the engine to fire up.

Feb 012009

At approx 130K miles the engine was overheating. Upon further investigation it was discovered that the head gasket was cracked. $1,800 to repair.

Apr 242009

I have a 2005 Equinox. It started losing power, overheated then check engine light came on. Brought it to my mechanic within one mile of incident he told me I had a blown head gasket or cracked block. Code P1258-engine overheating. Lost coolant, though there was no leak underneath.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Mar 282009

My 2005 Chevy Equinox want start sometimes after short trips. It will turn over but want crank (it almost acts like it is flooded). Then after about 10 or 20 minutes it will crank like nothing was wrong with it. This is starting to happen all the time now. It is very annoying when this happens.

- Hartwell, GA, USA

Oct 202008

I have a 2005 Equinox. It started overheating and losing coolant, though there was no leak underneath. Brought it to my mechanic who told me I had a blown head gasket. I emailed Chevy but because its not at a dealership refuse to help any with the problem. I don't understand how something so major can break on a 3 year old vehicle.

- Shelton, CT, USA

Nov 082008

The Chevy Equinox is over-all a piece of garbage. Ever since I bought it in 2004 it has given nothing but problems. I bought the vehicle brand new, but I doesn't perform like a brand new vehicle. Since I've had this vehicle it has over heated on me, the ac system had to be repaired, the gage lights keep coming on as if something is wrong with the vehicle, when I drive on the express way and hit 60 mph the steering wheel start shaking when as I'm braking, the one belt that the Equinox has snapped while I was driving, and three weeks after I got the belt fixed as I was driving and I turned on the ac the vehicle started smoking. Keep in mind that my warranty expired earlier this year so majority of these expenses are coming out of my pocket, and guess what, yesterday on 9nov2008 the Equinox died on me. I can't even get it to start. When I turn the key all the vehicle is doing is making a clicking noise but it's not turning over. I don't know if it's the battery because the horn works, the gage lights come on, the radio works, but it's just not turning over. It's back in the shop again, and there's no telling how much this is going to set me back. This vehicle has given me and my wife so much heart ache, and what I just listed were some of the high lights of problems that this vehicle has given us. Times are tough right now and this Equinox is not making things any easier. The GM company should be ashamed of themselves for making such a crappy product such as this vehicle. Never again will I ever buy another Chevy or any other GM product. I regret ever buying this vehicle.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jun 142008

Beginning in 2007, the car would stall a little when I tried to start it. It would catch and start, but the noise was of some concern. Early this year, the car would fail to start at all when I went to crank it. I've had it in the service shops at two different dealerships, and they've both told me they can't find anything wrong. I was stranded again today, but the car finally started after I waited for the tow truck for more than an hour. Both times the car was in the shop, the folks working on it ran every test they new of and tried to repeat the problem but couldn't.

- Gainesville, GA, USA

Apr 282008

I have a leaking head gasket, I bought this Equinox 6 months ago and its $1,200 to fix it at the dealer ship. I just paid $306 to replace the motor in the driver's side window. Front end makes lots of noises.

- Leavenworth, KS, USA

Aug 302007

Equinox 6-cyl

Since I've owned the vehicle in 2005, I've had numerous occasions where there's been trouble with the engine cranking excessively. After too many times of this happening over the past couple of years, I finally took it into the dealer when it started getting worse. This was on 8/31/07. My response from the dealer was that this is "normal" due to service bulletin #03-06-03-001C. I've continued to have the problem, and it gets worse and worse. This is not a "normal" problem. Chevrolet needs to correct this problem once and for all for all of its customers out there that have this issue.

- Concord, OH, USA

Dec 012007

Equinox 6-cyl

I was traveling on a major highway (rte 495 S). I suddenly heard a loud noise and felt a jolt. I thought that I had gotten a flat tire, so I proceeded to pull into the break down lane. The car was idling fine but made a horrible scraping noise when moving. My mechanic informed me the bolts supporting my engine block had snapped and the only thing holding the engine was my axle hence the awful scraping noise. My car is less than 3 years old and has approximately 30K miles - I would think a part as important as the bolts supporting my engine block should last longer. I have all parts that were replaced.

- Belmont, MA, USA

May 302007

Equinox 6-cyl

I have had numerous problems with my 2005 AWD Chevy Equinox, including the head gaskets blowing, losing acceleration on the 270/highway, ongoing acceleration problems, and other problems which still continue. I have begged for Chevy to help get the car fully repaired and the customer service representatives just keep telling me to bring it into the dealer. I've tried two dealers and returned to the purchasing dealer who will only make repairs if they can pull a code - they report I am having problems with my spark plug wires - first they reattached it, and then replaced one but car still doesn't drive as it did before head gaskets blew. Please, please help me - I've had my car in the shop 8 times in 4 months and the dealer and Chevy will not provide me with an extended warranty - car warranty ends in 6 months or help repair properly. I am scared to drive this car and don't know what to do as they don't take my concerns seriously as the only way they diagnose is by pulling codes.

- Kensington, MD, USA

Dec 282006

Equinox 6-cyl

Tensioner, pulley& fan belts failures...driver side freezes will not go up, when up will not go down..

- Dorchester, MA, USA

Jul 122006

Equinox 6-cyl

Cd player broke, water soaking floor boards twice causing mold & mildew. Complete loss of radiator fluid, loss of engine power while driving twice. Unusual wear of tires. Rubbing in steering column when turning, knocking sound when turning slowly to the right, A/C not cooling efficiently.

- Houston, TX, USA