8.8

$1,925.00

1. pressure check and shave heads; replace gaskets (8 reports)
  3. replaced engine (1 reports)
2005 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Equinox:

2005 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

Jun 172012

Equinox LS 3.4L

Mine and my sons car. He,s a US Marine. Purchased used in December. Low miles, clean, clear car fax service records good. Just over 90000 miles. I wanted him to buy a new Nissan or Toyota gas saver with factory warranty but he wanted a American built and liked the Equinox. He couldn't afford a new one so we found a nice used one and added a extended Power-train warrant at local GM dealer.

Sunday night on his way home from leave It started overheating. Took it to a local GM dealer in NC for repair. Did a pressure test and cylinder scope and found a blown head gasket. Car was just recently GM serviced as I wanted him to maintain the extended warranty. They want $2500.00 to repair and now the warranty company is ducking the bill. Say they don,t cover head gaskets. How the hell do you not cover a gasket in a Power-train warranty.

I'm working on the dealer for relief and preparing to seek legal assistance and take it to newspaper about the dealer.The cars in North Carolina and I'm in Kentucky and now my son is in California desert training, soon bound for Afghanistan. Thanks GM. Lets send him off with some more sh*t he has to deal with like all the rest. 3.4 lemon head gasket. Bogus warranty ripoff. You can sleep safe tonight GM. My son stands good on his product and warranty to protect your a** with his life. Semper Fi. All prayers accepted.

- , London, KY, USA

Mar 162012

Equinox LS 3.4L V6

Was on a road trip when the engine suddenly overheated and shut down. Took vehicle to mechanic where they changed out the coolant, ran a system check, flushed the engine with a cleaning solution, and did not solve the problem. Over the past 9 months, had to replace engine coolant on occasion, and had an occasional overheat. Took the vehicle to my mechanic where he suggested we get rid of the thing! Says it needed a new EGR tube, either head gaskets or a cracked head! Were looking at minimum 1,500 on repairs or a max of 2,500.

Over the years with this vehicle it went south starting at 40,000 miles...especially with costly engine repairs. It became more of a liability at this time where we just got rid of this headache! BEWARE, you'll be offered next to NOTHING in trade, as the dealers are well aware of this constant problem with this model. We decided to buy our FIRST foreign car after 40 years of being dedicated to the American car market. So we'll just wait and see if we have good luck with our new purchase?

- , Middlefield, OH, USA

Nov 132012

Equinox AWD 3.4L V6

My 2005 Equinox has only 36,212 miles on it. Took it in to dealer for oil change and found out the rear head gasket is leaking. Their price $ 1,382.00 ????. I somehow believe they failed to tell me the cost for having the 2 heads milled, which probably will cost an additional $ 300- $ 350, each to send out to machine shop. So far, I've gotten 4 estimates for the repair.

Who manufactured this "wonderful" engine? Whomever,....... POOR WORKMANSHIP!!!

I'm a senior citizen, living on a fixed income and now need to figure out how to pay for having my SUV repaired...... Do I buy groceries and medications or have the SUV fixed???

Thanks GM for nothing!!

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Oct 192012

Equinox LS 3.4L

head gasket leaking , 51,000 miles waiting on repair cost. what a bunch of crap.........

- , Johstown, PA, USA

Aug 082011

Equinox

I have read several complaints about this same problem, at about the same mileage, and approximately on the same year of car. Where is GM to fix this problem and pay the costs? This is not a $100 fix! Definitely not isolated incidents if so many people are having the same problem at about the same mileage. This is a defect in manufacturing/design on Chevy's part and they should pay for the repairs!

- , Seattle, WA, USA

Jun 072010

Equinox LT 3.4L V6

No useful info provided by GM - seems to be happening to a lot of people at roughly the same mileage range (90k or so). $1,500 to fix the problem just when we can least afford it - just wonderful.

- , Bartlesville, OK, USA

Dec 032010

Equinox LX V6

i bought my 2005 equinox last yr in July it has 60,000 miles on it and i was just told that im going to need a new head gasket that will cost $1700.00 i can not drive my car now the temp stays hot..i have kids and work now not having a vehicle that i thought would last me longer then a yr is sitting in the driveway till i can come up with that much gm will not do anything for me nor will the dealer where i got it..I'm stuck with a car payment and i car i cant drive..with all the complaints of the same thing this problem should be fixed

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jun 062010

Equinox LT 3.4L V6

After paying $30,000 for a new 2005 Chevy Equinox LT loaded with options and taking excellent care of it. Oil changes every 3000 miles, always having the dealer service and On-Star emailing you a report on how great your car is doing. Only to have a problem of either a leaking head gasket or cracked head at 50,000 miles is a REAL KICK IN THE ASS FROM GM!!!! OWN UP TO IT CHEVY YOU CREATED A LEMON!!!!!!!!!! DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Repair will cost about $2500 to fix. Dealer says it an 11 hour job at $185 an hour plus parts. Thank You GM!!! Don't Worry this is my last GM car. I'm going to Ford. The Last 3 Fords I Had Went Over 100,000 Miles With No Major Problems.

- , Hampton, New Jersey, USA

May 032010

Equinox 3.4L V6

So I bought a 2005 Equinox Certified used two years ago. The car had typical GM issues....paint coming off the radio, trim pealing and issues starting it. The starter sticks to be exact. I have owned 4 GM cars and this was my 5. My last car was a VW Golf that I bought after graduating college. My father is a GM employee and wasn't very happy about the VW, so he convinced me to buy a GM car again. I chose the Equinox and liked the room it offered. Like I said I have owned 4 other GM cars so I know that you will always have minor things falling apart.

All of these issues I can over look, but when my car started overheating and my mechanic told me it was a head gasket issue I flipped. I called GM "Customer Service" and they told me to take it into a dealership. After taking it in to the dealership and having to rent a car for 3 days, they finally re diagnosed it as a head gasket issue. I had been charged $300 or so dollars just for them to look it over already. So they told me this on a Friday and said that they would know by Monday if GM would do anything. Monday comes around and the Parts Manager said that GM will not pay for anything. So I agree to have the car fixed and continue to work with Cindy in Customer Service.

On Tuesday my car is still not fixed even though I was told it would be. So I pick it up on Monday and pay $1700 and some change. They said that they gave me a "goodwill gesture" and knocked off $300 that I already paid. Geee Thanks General Motors. Anyway later on Wednesday I get a call from a guy who seems to be higher up than Cindy in Customer Service. He starts asking me questions about how many GM cars I had owned and if I had gasket issues before. I told him that I thought it was bs that no had tried to sell me a car by now or at least offered a major rebat on a new one for my troubles. He told me that Laura a regional manager would contact me on Friday.

Its Friday and Laura has passed this on to another customer service person who basically is the same as Cindy. They cant make decisions and don't care about me and cant give me anything. This person even says we made a goodwill gesture with $300. I explained that I had paid that already. I asked to speak to her manager and she said she would have her call me back on Monday. I also asked for the Marketing Departments number which she gave me.

I called and talked to Shannon at 888-988-7267. I explained my situation and even mentioned that I was looking at GM cars (CTS and Tahoe) and that no one had contacted me to sell me a car or at least knock off some of my cost. She was the worst of all of the people that I have talked to. I don't think she gave a sh*t about anything I said. I told her how I come from a GM family and how I was disappointed that a bankrupt company wouldn't try to sell a car and how my mother and sister have said that they might look at other brands now. I even mentioned the fact that I found class action lawsuits in California and Missouri that were settled because of the gasket issues and dex cool. She told me that all cars have negative remarks on the internet and that it didn't matter. So I decided that it wasn't worth talking to a marketing department that didn't care about customer service, which I think is odd.

So I am pissed off at this point and I look up the Corporate number to the RenCen and call seeing if I can talk to Witacre's people or something. Its was a big stretch and I wasn't surprised when they said no, but I could talk to the executive offices. The guy I talked to seemed concerned, but it didn't sound like I am going to get much out of this. He said that they might be able to get me a rebate for a new car. He is going to let me know. I told him my biggest issue is that GM will not admit that this gasket issue is a problem (Google it) and that I am seriously considering buying a non GM car.

It seems like nothing has changed since the restructuring, I bet Toyota or Ford would jump through hoops for me to buy a new car from them. GM doesn't even seem to care about keeping a customer let alone sell a car.

- , Birmingam, MI, USA

Dec 232009

Equinox LT AWD 3.4L V6

ok head gasket went at 96000....bought used engine with 40k on it....now has happened again!!! there are many out there with this problem...i can see a class action suit for this...

GM offers NO HELP at all!! THEY MUST HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THIS...ITS ALL OVER THE WEB..PLEASE HELP US...WHY ARE WE STUCK WITH THE COST OF THIS OBVIOUS DEFECT!

- , Wallington, NJ, USA

Jun 292009

Equinox 3.2L V6

Could not even bring my car back to original dealer as they no longer carry Chevy. Had to bring to another Chevy dealer for an official diagnosis so that I could ask for financial assistance in its repair. They offered me 50% off, but to me this is still unacceptable. A car that is not even 4 years old with 43,000 miles on it should not be in need of such a repair. And GM could care less. The have just given this dealership notice that they have to pull out their franchise in 2 weeks. A total mess & a total rip off!!!

- , Ossining, NY, USA

Feb 022009

Equinox LS 3.4L V6

Loyal 45 year Chevrolet owner..purchased a used Equinox with 38,000 miles..after owning for 3 months, the head gaskets started leaking(46,000 miles)..Contacted Chevrolet for assistance but none was offered since the factory bumper to bumper warrenty of 36,000 miles had expired and the extended warranty was not purchased..subsequent models are now being sold with 100,000 mile factory warranties...this was obviously a defect...and Chevrolet offered nothing to repair/replace their 46,000 mile vehicle! So now Chevrolet is making vehicles that only last 40-50,000 miles?!?! Good luck on your bail-out, Chevrolet---you really deserve it for producing such great quality, American made products and then standing behind your product!!!

- , opelika, al, USA