2005 Chevrolet Equinox miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Equinox:

2005 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

May 222014

Equinox

Cooling-air condition, windows-drivers front wont role up R down, ignition- key wants to lock in ignition R wocar, sometimes, key will crank, but car wont crake!nt turn to crake

- Scranton, SC, USA

Jul 212015

Equinox

As I turn the ignition to start the car, smoke comes out of columns between column and steering wheel

- Dayton, OH, USA

Sep 012012

Equinox

You can't always turn the key it just wont turn you have T keep trying and hope you can get it to turn. Thought it might be the key so I tried the other key that came with the car same thing some times it will work and other times you have keep trying and the key will come half way out of the ignition

- Elk Grove, IL, USA

Jun 232015

Equinox

My family with a newborn and I was going to get ice cream at a establishment. Mind you it was a very hot day, and upon leaving we couldn't leave because the key wouldn't turn over. The key was stuck in the lock position only. I believe the ignition cylinder isn't any good.

- Fort Riley, KS, USA

Jun 142015

Equinox 6-cyl

Engine was running with vehicle in park, and I was able to pull the key right out of the ignition with no resistance....updated 07/30/15 the consumer stated to disregard the complaint. The issue was a worn key, which was replaced. Updated 08/06/15

- New York, NY, USA

Dec 132014

Equinox

Check engine like on. Engine temperature too low causing the heat not to work. Replaced thermostat and seals.

May 132015

Equinox

Seat belt light is on when driver is buckled, ABS and traction control light came on, replaced brakes and front drivers side wheel bearing, bearing was previously replaced 3/2014. Have had to replace wheel bearings and struts in the front about every 6 months. Just replaced front passenger side in 3/2015. Today same noise coming from front end, need front passenger side bearing replaced after 2 months.

Dec 132013

Equinox

Head on accident into ditch, airbags did not go off

Jun 132013

Equinox

Key comes out of the ignition while the car is running, can take the key in and out out of the ignition while the car is driving, does not turn the car off. Also sometimes the steering wheel does not lock and prevents you from being able to start the car.

Feb 212014

Equinox 6-cyl

February of 2014 I spent $1011.48 to replace a gasket between the engine block and the radiator, which I was told was made of plastic. This was suppose to solve the overheating of my engine, however the problem did not stop and I am being told that the heater core now needs to be replaced which will cost me another $800-$900. In all the complaints written by other owners this seems to be a common issue with the Equinox. I have no heat in the vehicle, the front defrost only fogs the windshield and it consistently overheats which in turn activates the fan which I suspect will stop work soon due to overworking. This is my only means of transportation for me and my children and is a danger in the winter months. I honestly love this truck, but if this a common problem or recall issue it need to be remedied now.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

May 092014

Equinox 6-cyl

I had to have my battery replaced today. My battery had to be replaced due to the ignition switch that is not completely turned off when I put the car in park. For a year or so I have been able to drive down the road and my cars key has been removable from the ignition switch. I have asked about the ignition switch before to my dealership over the years with no resolve. Since the recall of other GM models during the same year my car was made recently I have read over these issues and my Equinox is having the same issue. I do not have to put my car in park for the key to be taken out of the ignition switch. Now my battery is being compromised due to it not completely being able to shut off.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Mar 282013

Equinox 6-cyl

I bought this Equinox in March 2013. Whenever it rains I have standing water in the floor in the front and back floors. There is also moisture on the inside of the windows. I have seen online that this is a common problem. Can anything be done about this?

- Mitchell, IN, USA

Feb 222013

Equinox 6-cyl

We had several inches of rain, I went to get in my car from work to go home and the car was an inch deep in the floor boards. I could not tell where this water actually came from. I was very upset, this was after 5:00 pm on a Friday so needless to say I did not call insurance company until the following week. I had not left any windows down because it had rained all week. I spoke with a Chevrolet dealer not the dealer I bought the car new from, they are no longer in business. He informed me that we needed to gut the car and dry it out first in order to determine where the water was leaking in at. I spoke with my ins. Agent and asked would this be covered and she did not know. She called her state farm office and returned a call back to me. She stated that an adjuster in the office told her that my insurance would pay for the drying out of my car, but would not pay for the mechanical issue. I was given a claim no. I called the adjuster and she set up a rental car and told me that the check would be payable to me and I would pay the dealership. This was on a Wednesday, on Friday I received a call from the agent who stated to me that they would not pay anything because this vehicle was known for multiple leaks. I was told one thing then another. I was very frustrated and called GM to complain to them that it should have been a recall if this was an issue with this model. They were going to call me back and never another word from them. I explained to ins. And to GM, and also to the insurance commission that this was a hazard on the road due to the fact that the car was fogging up from inside and I had ice on the inside of the car due to cold weather.I would like to know if you can help me with this ongoing problem. I am sending all documentation regarding this issue. ## VIN passed ##

- Edison, GA, USA

May 142011

Equinox

Speedometer failed to give an accurate reading. Radio faded in and out. After around a minute of this occurring the vehicle lost power and slowed down and did not regain power even with the gas pedal pressed. The vehicle was safely brought to the side of the road, turned off and attempted to drive the vehicle again. After about 1 mile or less the vehicle again did the same thing and was towed to a mechanic.

- Rumford, ME, USA

May 142011

- Rumford, ME, USA

Jul 012011

Equinox

2005 Chevrolet Equinox. Consumer writes in regards to parts changes the consumer stated the dealer is trying to charge a large amount of money to repair a small pipe. The consumer was informed she would have to purchase the entire part which she didn't need.

Dec 232010

Equinox 6-cyl

Blown head gasket on a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox.

- Nixa, MO, USA

Jun 252010

Equinox

2005 Chevy Equinox. Current miles approx 85,000. Was rear ended in May 2010. The car was repaired and returned in June 2010. Within approximately 2 weeks, found noticeable grinding noises from brakes, low to null braking ability. ABS and tracking lights are on. In June, dealer found ABS sensor and steering column were broken. Dealer said it was a result of recent car accident but several insurance adjusters have said the accident was too minor to cause such damage and believe it is manufacturer defect. No insurance company will touch this claim. They believe it is a known defect in GMC parts.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Sep 182008

Equinox

The driver side window does not work properly and it chooses when to go up and down and also I would have to open the door in order to work the window. Also the stalls on numerous occasion to start. The brakes are brand new and a problems still occurs when trying to stop it shakes even when going a low speed.

- Albany, NY, USA