CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Equinox is plagued by a heating problem, as in the heater only blows cold air.

The reported cause of this problem is a small door, known as the air temperature blend door, which allows air to flow past the heater core. This door has a plastic connecting shaft to an electric motor and the shaft is prone to breaking after a few years. The problem has a typical repair cost of over $800.

The 2006 Equinox also has a number of reported problems ranging from the key getting stuck in the ignition, to failing speed sensors, and trouble starting the engine. All in all, this car sounds like one worth avoiding.

9.1

1. have GM recall part (37 reports)
  3. replace the broken blend door (14 reports)
  4. fix door in vent system (11 reports)
  5. had problem fixed (5 reports)
  6. fixed it myself (2 reports)
2006 Chevrolet Equinox AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox:

2006 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jan 082014

Equinox LT 3.4L V6

This was really bad timing with the cold temperatures between 0 and 10 degrees!

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 132013

Equinox LT

$1200.00 to fix a plastic door that obviously was a design flaw..... should have been metal or composite.

- , Bel Air, MD, USA

Jul 202012

Equinox V6

took my car for the recall. hood had the car for three days and my heater was never fixed. gm is not fixing the recall for the heaters. they will not take responsibility for the problem.

- , Amite, LA, USA

Nov 212013

Equinox LS V4

I just purchased this damn car 2 days ago, and the f%^&ing heat doesn't work. I haven't even drove the car for the last past 2 days because its cold as hell in the city of Chicago!!!!!!! I called the place where I purchased the car and they are giving me the runarounds. Sht my first fu@king car note hasn't even been paid yet. This is some BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!! I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A LOVER OF CHEVY CARS BUT THIS MUTHAF*CKIN EQUINOX has definitely put a sour taste in my mouth. GM really needs to recall this part because its causing a lot of unnecessary headache.

- , Dolton, IL, USA

Oct 292013

Equinox LT 3.2L V6

My heater is not functioning on my 2006 Chevy Equinox. It blows cool air, yet the AC works just fine. After five minutes of online searching it seems that this is a widespread problem for the 2006 Chevy Equinox.

It is the first of November and the weather is rapidly getting colder. I do not have $1,000 a month before Christmas to have this repair done. It is the responsibility of GM to recognize this defect and recall the cars for replacement. The issue goes beyond feeling cold in the car, it is a safety issue regarding the lack of heat to defog and defrost the car in the dead of winter. We have been contemplating replacing the car with a minivan.

This is probably going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back, and we will NOT be purchasing any more GM cars. Our 1998 Mazda 626 has had far fewer problems, and that car has 180,000+ miles!

- , Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Apr 112011

Equinox

took it into my repair shop and they told me it would cost at least $550 in labor and about $50 in the part.

- , Shawano, WI, USA

Nov 012011

Equinox

had this fixed several times.. the last time the dealership felt sorry for me for waiting so long for the part that they took one off their lot and didn't charge me for it.

- , New Baden, IL, USA

Oct 012012

Equinox LT

Really frustrating to not have heat in Wisconsin. Since it was under recall, I took car to dealership to have broken blend door replaced and they had the car for 2 days because have to take the dash completely apart to get to broken blend door.

- , Edgerton, WI, USA

Sep 082012

Equinox

My wife goes out on a limb to buy her 2006 Equinox and try to make the payments in these days and come to find out it could cost up to $1300 to fix the heater?? Come on Chevy!!! We buy your cars and get treated like this???? If you don't fix this problem your well aware of and its YOUR bad part causing it, I'll never buy another Chevy!!! BUY AMERICAN....BULL!!!

- , Miamisburg, OH, USA

Dec 102012

Equinox LT V6

The vehicle was 6 years olds when the issue was discovered. The dealer claims it will cost approx. $1,100 to fix. The safety issue with this needs to be addressed by GM. Not only does the defrost and heat not work properly, but the smell and obvious fumes of glycol from the heater core us not healthy for my family. There have been several complaints regarding this.GM, you are putting families lives in jeopardy. Heater cores should not beak after 6 years.

- , Wilmington, MA, USA

Jan 312013

Equinox LS 3.4L V6

So it is the end of January, one of the coldest days of the year and my wife has to drive our car with no heat around with our 3 month old baby. And now I find out that the proposed problem of why we don't have any heat or defrost in the car is going to cost between 800 -1000 dollars. And this is after I just had 2 o2 sensors replaced for an outrageous price and I also now need to have the catalytic converter replaced as well. How many 1000 dollar repairs will I need to do. Anyway, the sensors and catalytic convert issues are a separate problem. I'm focused on the NO HEAT issue now and why there is not a recall for a problem that is clearly a big issue if you spend 5 minutes on line researching.

- , Plymouth Meeting, PA, USA

Nov 072012

Equinox LS 3.2L V6

this is a serious problem in the winter. When you cannot defog your window

- , Charleston, Illinios, USA

Nov 212012

Equinox LS V6

No heat to defog or de-ice the windows or to warm the interior.( a major safety issue) because of a defective cheap part, that requires totally dismantling the entire dash to get to it to replace it is absurd ! Come on GM, We have been very dedicated GM buyers, Our last 4 New vehicles were Chevys.., Not so sure next time

- , Lake Ozark, MO, USA

Oct 082012

Equinox LS 3.4L

it looks like i not the only person with this problem. i hear that it hs a poorly designed actuator and blend door. i emailed gm on line. no answer yet. there is no recall of this. this is bull! step up to the plate gm! if i don't get any satisfaction on this issue gm can kiss me goodbye as a customer forever!!!!!

- , Murrysvile, PA, USA

Sep 302011

Equinox

Purchased my 2006 Chevy Equinox on valentines day 2011. Did not have to run the heat too much then but come the end of 2011 and very cold weather in Northwest Indiana I had no heat at all. Chevy dealer said it would cost over 1200.00 dollars to fix the problem because the extended warranty did cover this problem. I have to let you know that it is unbelievable that Chevy doesn't want or think they need to recall the heater door problem. I didn't build the car, and have been a lifelong Chevy owner, they did so if our government can help you to stay in business than maybe you should keep your customers happy. Don't make this problem the down fall of your reputation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Porter, IN, USA

Jul 012012

Equinox LT

The heater is blowing cold air!!! And winter is almost here!!!! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Allentown, PA, USA

Jun 132012

Equinox LT 3.2L

My heater blend door had to be replaced to the tune of over $1000 and I was told there was no recall although this problem is typical of the 2006 Equinox. Anyway, I begrudgingly paid the fee. Three weeks later I received a letter from GRMC that if I filled out the form they included and took it to the dealer who fixed my problem I could request a refund of the amount I paid to have this part fixed. I did so, and am now waiting for a refund or a reject letter. Maybe life is fair and I will get my money back for a situation that should be taken care of by the manufacturer.

- , Marshalltown, Iowa, USA

Sep 012006

Equinox V6

After owning this vehicle for 6 years and 119,000 miles - The dealership FINALLY repaired this problem. I am really disappointed with the service I received

- , Mount Vernon, TX, USA

Apr 202012

Equinox LS V6

I was having this problem with the heater. It was only blowing cold are. Then I received a recall notice in the mail about the temperature control valve being recalled by GM. The only problem is that they are only warrantying the recall for 100,000 miles or five years, which ever comes first. But my vehicle has over 100,00 miles. I guess I am out of luck.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 152011

Equinox LT 3.2L

Having the heater blow cold air is extremely annoying, as well as, dangerous in the middle of winter! My heater decided to start blowing cold air in the middle of December. GM please recall the blend door so I can defrost my windows on icy mornings!

- , New Braunfels, TX, USA