CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Equinox is plagued by a heating problem, as in the heater only blows cold air.

The reported cause of this problem is a small door, known as the air temperature blend door, which allows air to flow past the heater core. This door has a plastic connecting shaft to an electric motor and the shaft is prone to breaking after a few years. The problem has a typical repair cost of over $800.

The 2006 Equinox also has a number of reported problems ranging from the key getting stuck in the ignition, to failing speed sensors, and trouble starting the engine. All in all, this car sounds like one worth avoiding.

2006 Chevrolet Equinox suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox:

2006 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

Jan 242014

Equinox

I have had all kind of trouble out of this vehicle. First it was the wheel bearings. Change one an not long after have to change another. Have changed about 4. three on one wheel an one on the other. And now have to change another that I can tell. Then it started with brakes recently. They would stick. Had brakes replaced that didn't fix the problem. Brake lights came on vehicle. Then went off haven't came on since but brakes have stuck more than one time. Very dangerous. Now to get with the air in the vehicle that I have seen several complain about. While car is sitting still the vehicle will stay warm an warm air blowing out. Where it has been cold when driving the car the temp would go down on vehicle making the air blow out cool an I about freeze to death driving. Windows fog up fast. Need a recall if so many people are have the same issue/issues. Can cause major problems if not addressed or fixed. I don't let me kids ride in the car with me anymore cause of this.

- Whitesburg, KY, USA

Mar 192013

Equinox

I ran off the side of the road into a guardrail and could not stop until I was on top of the guardrail into an embankment. My entire front end was destroyed as well as most of the underneath of the car. My face hit the steering wheel causing me to lose consciousness as well as giving me a black eye, crooked teeth, cuts, broken dental appliances, and my teeth went through my lip. I strongly believe my airbags should have deployed and prevented the impact of my face to the steering wheel since I thought that is what airbags are for. My car was totaled.

- Hockessin, DE, USA

Mar 012012

Equinox 6-cyl

I heard a thumping noise from what felt like under my feet. I then tried to push on the brakes, only having the pedal give a great amount of resistance with loud ABS noises. It will continue doing this until both my traction control light and ABS light come on. I had my brakes checked and they said everything was good. And of course it was out of my 50000 mile warranty. I still drive cautiously and try to get the lights on as quickly as possible when driving my children around so that we aren't seriously injured. Not until I started researching the problems I'm having with this particular vehicle did I realize I wasn't the only one. The brakes are the first to mention...then there's the ac/heater problem it won't blow hot air, and it won't blow cool air when stopped at a red light. Then that loud clunking noise made when I'm driving over bumps that sound like my front end is going to fall off. Oh and the fact that my speedometer will only increase by 3-5 mph increments. The dealer said they couldn't find anything wrong, after getting a speeding ticket by a camera light it was taken into a speed shop who verified its absolutely not working correctly. They couldn't even give me a reading because its broken. Nice!!!!! seriously is someone going to have to die, or seriously injured before someone steps up and takes responsibility?

- Mesa, AR, USA

Feb 062012

Equinox

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, there was a loud knocking noise coming from the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who inspected the vehicle and stated that they could not duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified who offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 81,000.

- Marion, IA, USA

Oct 032008

Equinox

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds she noticed a loud noise coming from the front passenger side wheel. The vehicle was taken to a dealer and they advised her that the wheel bearing had failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired for the front passenger wheel bearing for the fourth time in four years. In addition, the contac stated that the emergency brake was between the cup holders and if a cup was placed inside, it would block the emergency brake from being engaged. The failure mileage was approximately 36,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Wallkill, NY, USA

Jun 182009

Equinox

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the wheel bearings were built into the hub and when it would fail, it could cause the wheel to fracture from the vehicle. The front driver side wheel was replaced by the dealer two years ago but the failure recurred. In addition, the contact stated that all four wheels had to be replaced as a result. The vehicle was inspected by an independent mechanic and the contact was advised that the bearings were bone dry and had caused the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 114,000.

- Hiram, GA, USA

Nov 012007

Equinox 6-cyl

2006 Chevy Equinox problem with front end. Consumer stated that the vehicle is making a noise in the front end. She states that the engine revs. The consumer stated the steering froze twice.

- Burgaw, NC, USA