CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Equinox is plagued by a heating problem, as in the heater only blows cold air.

The reported cause of this problem is a small door, known as the air temperature blend door, which allows air to flow past the heater core. This door has a plastic connecting shaft to an electric motor and the shaft is prone to breaking after a few years. The problem has a typical repair cost of over $800.

The 2006 Equinox also has a number of reported problems ranging from the key getting stuck in the ignition, to failing speed sensors, and trouble starting the engine. All in all, this car sounds like one worth avoiding.

2006 Chevrolet Equinox wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox:

2006 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

Mar 152016

Equinox

Sounds like the brakes grinding, starts unsafe stopping distance and happens out of blue, I have to constantly keep trying to push the brakes so it can stop. At times brakes will also be hard as rock no warning and have no brakes at all, been happening off and on. ABS/tc lights on, I was told I needed new hub bearing assembly, rotors and brake pads, all was changed and still not fixed. I keep reading about a pig tail harness but don¿T know the correct part number or its location. Started around March/2016 and its ongoing, almost got hit yesterday because the truck wouldn't brake

- Shaw, MS, USA

Feb 172014

Equinox 6-cyl

I bought my car from a GM dealership in hanford, ca after just I took my used 2006 Equinox home and went out the start it that night it would not start key kept getting stuck, also a very rough idle, ignition switch issue I would have to fight with it from time to time did leave me stranded I called the dealership they had be bring it in the looked at and did nothing took it back again and they cleaned the throttle body? but did not look at the ignition issue because they advisor said there was no due bill for it also 3 months later my ABS and trac control light was on I took it to a different service shop in visalia ca and they found that I needed a rear hub and senor also a alignment paid almost $400, and still did not fix the issue they were helpful and told me that there tons of issue with my make and model regarding this make and model to take it to the place I got it to see if they can help me, it was horrible to drive spoke with a sales manager I told them about the ignition issue and ABS & trac control light, they got it in there shop to check it out and gave me a rental to use to get back and forth to work, called to pick up they had a 600. 00 dollars bill for me!!! and still did not fix the ignition !!! it did it the problem in front of the sales manager and he said oh wow I refuse to pay that amount I just paid $300 he told me when another manager comes back we can make a deal, I feel that I was sold a car that is unsafe for me and my family!! I can drive and go down a rough road or my leg hit the keys and my keys will fall out of the ignition and the car is still operating !!! and they will not fix it its just unbelievable!!!

- Hanford, CA, USA

Jul 072014

Equinox 6-cyl

Passenger side tire/wheel brake locked up. Not able to drive in any gear. Appeared to be brakes locked up. Possible fire danger. Wheel got so hot it melted off the plastic hub cap cover. Smelled of burning plastic/brake. Trying to get safety eval by GM delaership this week. This is a very dangerous vehicle. NHTSA: Request your review to recommend immediate recall; found same problem across the internet this morning. Help....

- Washington, DC, USA

Nov 012013

Equinox 6-cyl

Herd a grinding noise and felt like the transmission was stuck in a gear. Brought the truck to ogden car care where I was told it's a wheel bearing on the left and that the car is pulling emissions codes bring it to Chevy. So I brought the truck to sunrise Chevrolet were they confirmed a bad wheel bearing and no emissions codes were showing up. So I took it to my mechanic at route 66 tire and auto were he told me it has a broken axel and was only being held on by the cv boot. He also stated that if the boot would have come off the truck could have been a terrible crash costing the lives of its occupants and other dri I ers on the road.

- Indian Head Park, IL, USA

Mar 192013

Equinox

I ran off the side of the road into a guardrail and could not stop until I was on top of the guardrail into an embankment. My entire front end was destroyed as well as most of the underneath of the car. My face hit the steering wheel causing me to lose consciousness as well as giving me a black eye, crooked teeth, cuts, broken dental appliances, and my teeth went through my lip. I strongly believe my airbags should have deployed and prevented the impact of my face to the steering wheel since I thought that is what airbags are for. My car was totaled.

- Hockessin, DE, USA

Feb 142010

Equinox

2006 Chevy Equinox. I've had to replace the wheel bearings twice in two years. Both repairs were over $900. Now the car is blowing cold air. A simple google search will see that this is a continuous problem with this vehicle.

- Batavia, NY, USA