2008 Chevrolet Equinox body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Equinox:

2008 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

Mar 012016

Power steering was making whining sound when turning and had a fluid leak. Water leaked into trunk and filled up area where spare tire is located, drivers side window motor broke and stopped working, one of the back seat belts does not always stay clicked, some paint chipping, and transmission went at 76,000 miles

- Burlington, MA, USA

Feb 202015

White paint began peeling off back right corner of vehicle overnight. When parked, paint was fine- next morning it was completely peeled. No vandalism occurred. Upon further research- this is a common problem with the 2008 model.

- Hurricane, WV, USA

Feb 072015

Equinox 6-cyl

The paint on both the passenger and drivers side is peeling off. It isn't happening a little at a time. I walked out to leave one day and an entire strip down the passenger side was missing, all the way down to the metal. 2 weeks later, the driver's side did the exact same thing. I took it to my local body shop and they said my Equinox was not the first one they had seen do this and it was a manufacture defect. You can see where the paint is bubbled and was never put on right. I called Chevy's customer service line and was sent to a local certified Chevy dealer to be reviewed. The service manager deemed it a manufacture defect but the area GM claims because it is out of paint warranty, there is nothing they can do. My car is only 8 years old, with only 130,000 miles. Paint should not be coming off like this.

- Hubert, NC, USA

Mar 012013

• 1,160,000 miles

Paint is falling off paint shop said it is orange peel a factory defect.

- Fellsmere, FL, USA

Jan 062015

Equinox 6-cyl

Paint coming off car for no reason.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Dec 012012

Interior plastic door handle mechanisms are breaking and broken. Given the fact that we cannot exit our vehicle, this would strike me as a huge safety issue! given the fact that 3 out of 4 total handles are now broken, this is obviously not just a one-time fluke. GM customer care on twitter refuses to acknowledge safety concern exists and the dealership wants to charge $51 plus tax minimal for new parts on a safety-related item. After all, if the ignition switch fails and you get into a fiery accident, how are you supposed to exit the vehicle? the affected interior door handles broken thusfar are as follows: Lf, lr, and rf. My boyfriend has taken and posted two youtube videos directly related to this severe defect. The links are (separated by 10 asterisks each): **********"V=ybj8cs5I3_W **********"V=7wq1xl1kxfy ********** this should not be happening on a 2008 model year vehicle and this(in my opinion) is a huge safety concern.

- Hoopeston, IL, USA

Nov 182014

Painting falling off metal on passenger side.

- Franklinton, LA, USA

Jun 302014

Driver and passenger door locks non responsive to key fob or electronic lock control. Extremely hot outside.

- Mount Washington, KY, USA

Jan 092014

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that she noticed that the paint on vehicle was chipping off and exposing the metal on the vehicle. The vehicle was take to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the vehicle needed to be repainted to prevent corrosion. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage 106,000.

- Jenkinsburg, GA, USA

Jan 162014

I left my dentist in the morning of thurs 2-16-2013 and proceeded to walgreens and tried to get out of my car and now my door will not open. It was below zero and I had to roll the window down and open it from the outside. It will not open from the inside on the drivers side, not very safe incase U want to get out in a hurry. I had so many cars in the 50 years I been driving and have never had this happen. It should be fixed free.

- Schererville, IN, USA

Mar 212011

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact was driving 5 mph and heard water moving inside of the vehicle. The contact found water was inside of the spare tire well also. The vehicle was inspected but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact believed the failure to be a safety issue because the water could have affected the wiring or electronic components of the vehicle. The approximate failure mileage was 32,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Jan 252012

My 2008 Chevy Equinox has been an ok car until today when I found several gallons of rain water in the rear hatch spare tire wheel well. Never experienced this before because I garage my car and I had to park out side and it rained 5 inches over night. Did notice suds in the water so at this time I am assuming when it gets washed it leaks in the wheel well too. I have never been in an accident nor is my vehicle abused. I do believe this is not a lone incident, as I read about others having the same issues as well. I hope Chevy will step up and be responsible for this problem as is seems to be serious if the water gets deep enough and gets in to the gas and electrical system. This also explains strange smells we have had in this car in the past. Chevy please stand up and fix this problem!

- Allen, TX, USA

Nov 222011

Equinox 6-cyl

We were driving on highway at approximately 70 mph when there was a very load boom and we unexpectedly realized that the sunroof glass had shattered, some of which dropped down inside the SUV. The sunroof shade was 7/8 way closed which prevented most of the glass from riding down on us. We were on the open road, no overpass, no road debris flying up, no evidence of anything striking the closed sunroof. Climate condition, temp was around 50 degrees.partly sunny. We do feel that if the shade on the sunroof had not been almost closed, we would have been involved in a crash if this sunroof glass had dropped down on us. Traffic at this time was fairly heavy! dealer claims there have been no other incidents of this type. Inspection of the sunroof glass revealed that the center of the glass had shattered and cracked glass was still in the sunroof frame. The sunroof was closed at time of this incident.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 152010

Leaking front and rear 2008 Chevrolet Equinox, front is leaking into passenger and driver wheel well and back is leaking into spare tire well and running down into second row of seats.

- Santa Barbara, CA, USA