2008 Chevrolet Equinox steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Equinox:

2008 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 102016

Equinox

My 74 year old brother bought his 2008 Equinox new it has less than 120,000 miles on it and it is the biggest heap of crap Chevrolet invented!!!! 5. power steering went out costing $2500 to fix Jan 2015 6. transmission starts jerking when hitting 45 mph dealership informed us of the transmission when we took in for a recall on a defective gas modual that they never replaced saying the part was ok. They drove it and said that its the transmission and asked $500 to run a diagnostic. Started Feb 2016 7. the stable link light periodically comes on saying to service the stable trac then goes off started March of 2016 8. the top of the brake light on the back hatch is gone where it fell off at some point has many other things wrong. Turn signal gears to turn off signals for right and left signal do not work. The washer fluid motor does not work. Drivers door power window motor broke from window.drivers door has to be manually locked and unlocked. This vehicle is a clean and in excellent shape it was bought new and is owned by an elderly man. It has not been abused has less that 120,000 miles on

- Pleasant Plain, OH, USA

Dec 152015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving 55 mph, the stability and traction lights illuminated without warning. In addition, the power steering malfunctioned. The vehicle was taken to be repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 133,000. TL-the contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the stability traction light illuminated without warning. In addition, the power steering malfunctioned as well. The vehicle was taken to be repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 133,000. Updated 08/30/16

- Selkirk, NY, USA

Jan 152016

Equinox

The power steering has gone out making it very difficult to steer and park at low speeds. I've several forums with this problem occurring a lot. I don't understand why this vehicle is not part of the power steering recalls. It's nearly $1,000 to have this part replaced!

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Jan 232016

Equinox

The steering kind of locks while in motion and you have to force it sometimes to turn. Once I adjust the column it will shut the car off and then once I start the car again it will be fine for a while and I have to keep doing it over and over again. But the computer reads it's fine and the machanic can't find anything wrong with

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Dec 242015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving 25 mph, the power steering failed on the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was 54,000.

- Northeast Olympia, WA, USA

Oct 022015

Equinox

My car wouldn't start. So I brought a new battery then my car started and then I noticed stabilitrak light was on. I try to drive car but my steering wheel would not turn and couldn't drive the car.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jun 022015

Equinox

My daughter was driving home from a trip when she pulled over to get gas. The driveshaft snapped in half just as she was pulling into the gas station. There was no warning, no sound before then. She had no control of her car. No steering, nothing. She had just pulled off the highway, so thank god it did not happen when she was on the highway going 70 mph or she would be dead. Cost to have towed and fixed over $1000.also prior to this incident, has had several issues with front end. Had to replace the bearings, front axle, tie rods 3 times in the last 2 years due to something wrong with this vehicle and the way it drives or is made. Constant "rubbing, grinding" noise when you turn tires. Gas fumes are very strong in the car, always have been, and repair shops cannot find any leaks. She cannot sell it, as it is worth very little due to all these defects and no recalls, and she is still making payments on this car for the next 4 years. Stuck with a very dangerous lemon.

- Brooklyn, MI, USA

Jul 292015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox. While the vehicle was parked, the steering wheel became difficult to control. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, where it was diagnosed that the power steering assist failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,000.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jun 152015

Equinox

My stabilizer control lights are flashing and they continue to flash they sometimes slow the car for no reason took it to the shop where I work and they tell me I have to have a part replaced in the steering column and my ABS is no longer working my stabilizing system is no longer working

- Rush, NY, USA

Jul 192015

Equinox

I drove my car to the store went in for about an hour. When I came back out my car wouldn't start. I thought my car battery had went dead so I got a jump but then I noticed my stability track light was on and that my power steering had went out. As soon as I made it home turned the car off and tried to restart it, it went dead again. As I look up to see what could be wrong with my vehicle I've noticed that this is a common malfunction that seems to be happening a lot. I know cars can go out but this also happen a lot where a consumer spends there hard earned money only to be duked in the end. I've only had my car for four months and although it's used I felt that I should have been notified of this and it should have been my decision on whether or not I want to purchase the vehicle. Even though I was lucky and didn't crash. I hope that this does become a recall as it is way to dangerous.

- El Mirage, AZ, USA

May 012014

Equinox

The steering column rubs. The repairmen say theory can't find anything wrong. The fluid is fine also

- Metropolis, IL, USA

Apr 172015

Equinox

Something squeals in the front of the car any time I turn.

- Fremont , MI, USA

Apr 282015

Equinox 6-cyl

As I'm driving at any speed my steering column rubs and makes it hard to turn corners. Have to force more just to drive cause it doesn't feel like it has power steering.

- North Bend, OR, USA

Dec 032014

Equinox 6-cyl

Steering squeals when turning. 2008 Chevy Equinox sport.

- Conway, SC, USA

Apr 152015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the power steering failed without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The dealer and manufacturer were not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Forth Worth, TX, USA

Feb 042015

Equinox 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox. When the vehicle was started, the power steering failed without warning. The power steering resumed after the contact disconnected and reconnected the battery. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 73,000. Updated 4/7/15 updated 04/09/15

- Canton, IL, USA

Aug 092014

Equinox 6-cyl

Since mid-Aug, my Equinox has been randomly/intermittently losing engine power (as well as steering/braking) for short periods of time. Thankfully, while this is happening more frequently, (now at least weekly) it has not happened in traffic. When checking service codes, the indicated problem systems are "secondary ignition circuit" and "stabilitrak." I do not feel the car is safely drivable, but my local Chevrolet dealer cannot offer me even a diagnostic appointment earlier than Dec 1.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Sep 162014

Equinox 6-cyl

I purchased this car used on Sept. 15, 2014. It is the sport edition of the Equinox. Every time I turn the steering wheel at any speed there is a rubbing sound between the steering column & just behind the airbag on steering wheel & near the ignition switch. I assume if there is enough rubbing friction it could affect the airbag or ignition switch to cause a fire or airbag deployment. I took car to roger dean Chevy dealer in cape coral, fl & they said there are no recalls for such a problem. I am very concerned about this rubbing friction & know that GM has had both ignition issues & airbag issues which this rubbing sound is near both of these components.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

May 152013

Equinox 6-cyl

First incident, steering failure. Service stabilitrack warning appeared and steering went out making it almost impossible to steer. Took to dealership who stated steering module went out and replaced at my own cost. Very dangerous to loose steering control while driving. Entire steering and interior control module was also replaced a second time. Dealer stated it was normal for this to wear out and need replaced. Service stabilitrack warning still continues to come on occasionally. Took to dealership again and they said they could not find any issue. Hopefully the steering will not go out this time while I am going down a major highway at higher speeds. Have also continuously experienced issues with water in the vehicle. Can hear the water sloshing around. Water in the headlights making it difficult to see at night. Door locks only work intermittently. Car was involved in an accident, front end collision and air bags did not deploy. Serious safety risk.

- Peabody, MA, USA

Jul 032014

Equinox

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated while driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle lost power steering without warning. The steering wheel became hard to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnostic testing. However, results were not available. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 47,218.

- La Vista, NE, USA