2012 Chevrolet Equinox electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Equinox:

2012 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

Oct 042016

Equinox

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox. While reversing into a parking space, the vehicle shook and stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000.

- King George, VA, USA

Jul 112016

Equinox

This may be related to NHTSA campaign number 16V502000. On July 11, 2016, I was in my son's driveway, placed my car in park, and my granddaughter and I got out of the car. The car was still, and my keys were still in the ignition. While I was between the door and the car, the car started to roll backwards, which knocked me to my feet and under the car. The car rolled up onto my ribcage and my vision started to go dark. A nearby person managed to roll the car off of me. I was taken to the hospital where I learned I had five broken ribs and a small puncture in my lung. My leg is bruised from my thigh to my toes. About a week later, I developed an infection in a wound on my ankle. I have had several follow up visits to doctor to check for pneumonia and blood clots. A visiting nurse comes to my house twice per week. I cannot drive and have weight restrictions for several weeks. I have mailed a letter to the CEO and general counsel of GM, but have not received a response.

- Louisville, NE, USA

Aug 172011

Equinox

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the key fractured inside the ignition while attempting to start the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer and the key was replaced. The failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired and the key was not replaced. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 21,000.

- Westport, MA, USA

Aug 062015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving at 30 mph, the air conditioner failed to function and the center console became inoperable. All the warning lights on the instrument cluster illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 43,968.

- Lancaster , CA, USA

Jun 072015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving at 25 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Montoursville, PA, USA

Mar 012013

Equinox 6-cyl

Vehicle lights for service stabilitrac, engine and alternator will be lit on dash. Car hesitates upon acceleration. Car was checked by dealer but they unable to correct the problem.

- Nanticoke, PA, USA

Jul 242014

Equinox 6-cyl

Vehicle will accelerate unexpectedly or sputter or pause before accelerating. Vehicle has stalled out several times. Radio preset station zeros out or radio station randomly changes. Clock does not work on a regular basis. Key fob locks and door opener randomly stops working until key fob is put into the ignition. Warning lights on dash come on randomly, mostly on washer fluid and tire pressure.

- Deridder, LA, USA

Jul 152014

Equinox

In July of this year, it was a 100 degree day in charleston, and my wife had our 2 years old daughter in her car seat. My wife had the airconditioning on, and the car running, and she checked the mail, for some reason, the locks on the doors engaged, and my daughter was locked in the car. I immediately called the dealer, and I brought the car in for service. They had my vehicle for over a week. They returned the vehicle to me and informed me that they had redone all the wiring and that it should all be fixed, and it wouldn't happen again. Then as fate would have it, our rear view camera started going in and out randomly, but we didn't think anything of it, then sure enough, once again in September, I had my daughter out to lunch, I placed her in her seat, strapped her in, and laid the keys down next to her, the doors were all unlocked, I closed the back door, went to open the front door, and the locks engaged once again. This time the ac was not running. My wife had a key but was about 45 min away. This time, the baby was in there for over half an hour, and was a hysterical mess. I immediately called the dealer again, obviously much more upset this time, and asked them to explain what was going on. They had no answer and asked me to bring it in again. I brought the vehicle in, they had it for over 2 weeks and informed me that they had reset everything to factory specs, and given me 2 new key fobs, as they thought the fobs may have been causing the issue. I got the car back and within an hour, of getting the car back, the camera went out on the dashboard.I called the sales manager again, and he came and picked the vehicle up. The only thing we have been told and I quote is "we are chasing a gremlin in the wiring system", they cant figure out what it is, they want to put me in a new 2015. GM corporate cannot offer any resolution outside of a new key fob.

- Daniel Island, SC, USA

Sep 112014

Equinox 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving 15 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn and the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted and driven to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 29,000..updated 09/ 30/14 the consumer stated while making a right turn, the steering wheel seemed to break free and continued moving about two inches. At the same time, the vehicle shut off, the lights went out. The consumer had to coast to the side of the road. When he finally stopped, he was able to move the gear shift from drive to park and restarted the vehicle. The dealer was unable to find a problem. Updated 10/08/14

- Birmingham, MI, USA

Aug 162014

Equinox 4-cyl

When the engine was turned on, the airconditioner was not working and the radio is stucked.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 052013

Equinox 4-cyl

2012 Chevrolet Equinox has been to the dealer four times for the same problem. Would seem to have to do with the electrical components in the radio/gps unit. The safety portion involves the dash and gps unit darkening during the day which causes the driver not able to see any of the gauges. Not being able to see the speedometer is extremely dangerous. At the same time any use of the gps is unavailable. Have been told the entire unit and components were replaced. Now I have my doubts. The dealer and service department is dublin Chevrolet in dublin, ca.

- Pleasanton, CA, USA

Jun 072014

Equinox

Driving slowly the engine and entire electric system shuts down and the car just turns off while driving. Then you have to put it in park and start the car back up and then it happens again.

- Fort Stewart , GA, USA

Mar 052014

Equinox 4-cyl

I filed a different report earlier for the same vehicle. Now the vehicle is starting on its own, if the key is left in the ignition when you turn it off, about 30 seconds to 1 minute later the car will start with no one behind the wheel. It will continue to try to start until you pull the key out. It is just the key in the ignition, no key chain hanging from it. Last week Apr 29,2014 the car started and ran for 10 second with the ignition off. How long before the vehicle jumps into gear and runs someone over with no one behind the wheel? I found out that this website does not investigate any report unless you pay $50 plus, whatever else they want for it.

- Ingleside, TX, USA

Feb 082014

Equinox

TL-the contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph. The vehicle all wheel drive indicator light illuminated and became inoperable. The contact called onstar roadside assistance. The contact had to turn off his vehicle and turn it back on, for the vehicle to reset the computer. The vehicle was able to be driven home. The contact stated that the failure had not recurred. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnosis of repairs. The manufacturer had not been made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 25,000.lj

- Scotts Mills, OR, USA

Nov 212013

Equinox 6-cyl

2012 Chevrolet Equinox - 43,600 miles. Driving normally along a residential road and all inside electrical begin flashing like a strobelight. Vehicle dies soon after. Taken to mechanic, analysis done and faulty alternator is the culprit. GM claims vehicle is out of warranty and I have to pay for repair out of pocket. After less than 1.5 years of ownership (and buying brand new), already have to replace a major electrical component.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Oct 292010

Equinox 4-cyl

The night sandy hit on the East coast, it was windy in Michigan. Our city was doing leaf pickup around that time so leaves were accumulated at the edges of the roads. The car was being driven through a subdivision on a paved road and it just caught on fire. GM will take no responsibility for the fire. They say leaves blew up under the car and they are what caught on fire. How can vulnerable areas not be shielded from this? the car was about a month old!!! the fire burnt for about 7 minutes. The dealership says that there is nothing they can do. A team from GM inspected the car and they will not even let us see their report. We haven't had a car for over a month and I for one am furious! they tell us if we have the car repaired we lose any right to pursue legal proceedings.... we have to pay $500 (our insurance deductible) to start repairs even though they wont tell us what is damaged even though we purchased additional insurance at the time of purchase through the dealer to cover our deductible in the event of damage... all they say is that it was our fault for not reading the manual regarding driving or parking over leaves... we found reference to it in the off road portion of the manual. The car had never been driven off road.

- Grand Blanc, MI, USA

Sep 302011

Equinox 4-cyl

When stopped at a stop sign or red light sometimes the engine tries to cut out, and the car jerks like it is trying to stay cranked. I have a friend that has a GM terrain and hers does the same thing. When turning there is a knocking in the steering. The speakers have a rattling sound like they are busted, but it doesn't do it all of the time. I took my car to the dealer, but of course they couldn't find anything wrong with it, the car now has 23,000 and it still hasn't been fixed. (this has been going on since September of 2011 when I bought the car).

- Crystal Springs, MS, USA