2013 Chevrolet Equinox seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Equinox:

2013 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

Jul 122016

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the air bag warning indicator remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 92,000.

- Manassa, VA, USA

Jul 292016

I was involved in an accident and was hit twice from behind. The chemical from the side airbag was released but the airbag did not deploy. The chemical was a fine mist or light smoke. The seat belt locked the first time I was hit. I am not sure when the airbag mist occurred (? with the first or second hit) they happened within seconds of each other. A "service airbag" warning light is now illuminated. The vehicle is going in for repairs as a result of the crash and this will be addressed. I just wanted to report this. I have also notified Chevrolet directly.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Apr 172016

In the normal course of street driving, "service airbag" with screwdriver icon appears and dissapears. Mechanics cannot identify problem. While driving in the rain, wipers stopped. Motor continued running. Windshield wipers transmission broken. Dashboard lights randomly dim and brighten.

- Canal Winchester, OH, USA

Oct 052015

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Equinox. While parked on a slight incline, the contact's vehicle rolled backwards and crashed into another vehicle. The failure recurred intermittently. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was not filed. There were no injuries sustained. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Apr 112015

Was driving to work and a herd of deer jumped out in front of me I hit one near the front passenger side and my seat belt locked up and a funny smell came over the inside of my car. The service air bag light came on and hasn't shut off my 4ways turned on automatically but the air bags did not deploy. I think that since this car is less than 2 years old and I purchased it to make me feel safe that a faulty airbag deployment is ridiculous and I should be able to trade this car in. I don't feel safe driving with a tight seat belt and my air bag light on. I can't believe how many people have had issues with this. The money I am spending to buy this car is outrageous as it is then for this to happen and it not work the way it is intended to I would like to be reimbursed in some way.

- Caro, MI, USA

Dec 142014

Equinox 4-cyl

I was involved in an accident that resulted in damages over $14,000 to the front end of the vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. I have contacted GM twice this week and have not yet spoken to anyone in their product assistance department.

- Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Jul 152014

Equinox 4-cyl

I was driving on a 2 lane road with heavy woods on each side and a deer ran out of the woods in front of me. I hit the deer with the front of my Equinox. I immediately smelled the fumes from the air bag but did not see where the air bag deployed. Onstar came on and asked if I was ok, that they were advised my air bag had deployed. The in dash sensor in my car also alerted that the air bag had been deployed. My steering wheel appeared normal, but a small gap around the air bag cover. It appears that my air bag had attempted to deploy but the bag itself did not inflate. The damage was filled on insurance and GM was notified of the incident due to the fact that my air bag did not function correctly. The vehicle has been taken to the dealership where it was purchased to have the air bag & sensors replaced. GM did open a claim with my complaint and said that it would be 20 to 30 days for an investigation to be done.

- Robbinsville, NC, USA

Nov 112013

Equinox 4-cyl

Hit a deer with front end of vehicle causing approximately $6,000 in damages. Airbags did not deploy causing concussion received by driver. Driver is still experiencing medical problems due to this accident.

- Crystal Falls, MI, USA

Mar 172014

Equinox 4-cyl

I was making a right hand turn (going maybe 5 mph) when rear ended by a 1998 Chevy lumina. Her hood and front was all damaged and none of my air bags deployed (opened)!!. I hit my head on steering wheel and ear started bleeding. ( in a daze). Many bruises and hurt back and neck.

- Valley, AL, USA

Mar 122014

Equinox 4-cyl

I was hit by a car pulling out of a gas station. Hit pretty hard side air bags did not deploy.

- Shirley, NY, USA