2006 Chevrolet HHR electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet HHR:

2006 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 5 of 9)

HHR 4-cyl

2006 Chevrolet HHR. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall notice. The consumer stated the steering wheel and front end were shaking, and there was a noise coming from the vehicle. The technician found a worn out bearing, the steering shaft had an internal failure and the sway bar links were worn. The steering column, intermediate shaft and sway bar links were replaced. Also, it was difficult to shift out of park at times. It was determined a liquid had been spilled in the shifter. Also, the consumer was unable to remove the key from the ignition.

- Macon, MS, USA

Jan 022014

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the front driver and front passenger side interior door handles were fractured. The contact was unable to exit the vehicle using the interior door handles. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who indicated that the door handles had broken off due to the weakened plastic materials used to manufacture them. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 100,000. Updated 07/08/14 MA the consumer also stated the vehicle stalled.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 012010

HHR

2006 Chevrolet HHR. Consumer writes in regards to air bag malfunction. Consumer sent additional correspondence. The consumer was involved in an accident in 2010, and the air bag did not deploy. Also, the vehicle stalled and was recalled for ignition and steering problems. Updated 04/15/14

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Dec 032007

HHR 4-cyl

We have had several problems with our HHR since we bought it in August of 2007. The first problem occurred just after purchasing it, when we were driving it out on a highway for a first time outing with it, when I noticed the front wheels seemed to be floating back and forth. I slowed down and immediately took it home. We contacted our local dealer, and had the car brought in to be checked out. We were told the front bushings were bad & needed replacing. The dealer replaced the bushings. (under warranty) in September of 2007, we had to replace our cars remote control, even though it was only 1 years old. Our dealer replaced it but we had to pay $81.82 out of our pocket. October 2007, I brought our car into our dealer because it had a rough ride and groaning sounds. The dealer looked at it and said the sound was coming from the steering column. They replaced our steering column under warranty. December of 2007 my wife, mother & I went to a christmas light parade in our town; when we got home I turned off the ignition & when I attempted to remove the key, it would not come out. That Monday I called our local dealer & they had us bring in the car on 12/3/07. They reported that there was no power to the inter lock2 and a fuse had brown. They found that a wire harness was pinched under the column cover & repaired the harness (under warranty) January 29,2008 I brought our 2006 HHR into our dealer again complaining about squeaking and popping noise with clunking in left front. They said they heard noise from stabilizer links pivot joint at link tires miss-matched. They replaced both stabilizers links under warranty. Continued on next report

- Casa Grande, AZ, USA

Sep 022013

HHR

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was able to be restarted moments later. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system). The approximate failure mileage was 118,000.

- Kiln, MS, USA

HHR 4-cyl

2006 Chevrolet HHR. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall notice. The consumer stated the engine shut off, at least 10 times while driving on the expressway. The dealer was unable to find a problem.

- Rochester, NY, USA

HHR 4-cyl

I was driving in the right lane going westbound approaching a stop light when I applied my brakes it did not slow down, I pressed the brake hard an car kept going into the rear of a truck that was stopping at the light. My car was not stopping. Like it had no control. The airbags did not deploy. Im concerned that the ignition turned off when I went over some pot holes in the road. My car is one of the vehicles on the recall list for the ignition switch, I had replaced ignition switch months ago due to same problem. What are my options to get this problem resolved?

- Vallejo , CA, USA

Mar 192014

HHR

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact received a recall notice of NHTSA campaign id number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system); however, the parts were unavailable. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. There are no failures at this time...updated 05-09-14 updated 05/13/14

- Fresh Meadows, NY, USA

Mar 132014

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated while driving 35 mph and making a left turn the engine stalled without warning causing the contact to lose control and crashed into a pole. The contact suffered injuries to the face, knee, wrist, neck, and back. The vehicle was towed for further inspection. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign recall number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) was received after the crash. The failure and current mileage was 90,100. Updated 05/19/14

- Tampa , FL, USA

Sep 112013

HHR 4-cyl

Was pulling out of my garage when all my electrical shut down no power. Had to have the car towed to ricks automotive and they repaired my starter $ $427. I would like to get reimbursed from GM and need to know how ge to my money back? I had trouble with my ignition switch for quite some time and not letting me remove the key twice.

- Republic, MO, USA

Sep 302008

HHR

Turn signals do not cancel. Dealer found broken clock spring in drivers air bag. Replaced on warranty. Hello, anyone listening?

- Fridley, MN, USA

Oct 232008

HHR 4-cyl

Unable to remove key from ignition switch. Dealer replaced solenoid in shifter. Very dangerous, please investigate.

- Fridley, MN, USA

Aug 012007

HHR

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the ignition module failed, causing the vehicle to stall sporadically and without warning. Additionally, the key could not turnover in the ignition to start the vehicle. The vehicle was included in a manufacturer's recall for the ignition however, the parts were not available to service the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure the vehicle was not inspected or diagnosed. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 10000.

- Middlesburg, KY, USA

Jan 152014

HHR

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated while driving he hit a bump, which caused the security and the tracking control light to illuminate on the dashboard. The vehicle also jerked and stalled. The failure was experienced several times. The the vehicle was taken to the dealer and the camshaft cable was rerouted. However, the tracking and security lights continued to illuminate and the vehicle continued to stall whenever it hit a bump. The manufacturer was made ware of the failure. The failure mileage was 115,788 and the current mileage was 119,661.

- Westwego , LA, USA

May 052010

HHR

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The engine failed to restart and the vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer where the rear fuse box and fuel pump were replaced. The failure persisted after the repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 106,000.

- Sallisaw, OK, USA

Dec 202013

HHR

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated the key was not able to be removed from the ignition. The failure was recurring. The contact would have to wait a brief moment and apply pressure to the brakes in order to remove the key. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnosis or repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The contact later received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system). The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 24000.

- Charlestown, IN, USA

Mar 072007

HHR

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The failure recurred and the vehicle was taken back to the dealer where the contact was advised that the ignition switch and gear box needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 4,000 and the current mileage was 40,000.

- York, PA, USA

Mar 112014

HHR

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The battery was jump-started and resumed normally. The failure only recurred once. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage and VIN was not available.

- Gates, NC, USA

Mar 132014

HHR 4-cyl

I contacted strosnider Chevrolet (a dealer in hopewell, va) about the recent recall on my car and asked about a loaner. First they wanted to know where I got my information and then they told me that they have never heard of cars cutting off and that I did not need to worry. My car has lost power 4 times in the last 8 months and even though it did not cut off, it did not have power and was coasting for about a minute before it picked up power again and I don't feel safe in it anymore. This dealer acted like this recall is a joke and they do not want to have to deal with it. I will definitely not go to them for anything again even though I purchased my car from them back in 2006. I don't appreciate them making lite of my situation and if my car does cut off on the interstate and I am run over by the vehicle behind me, me or my family will be suing someone for this incident.

- Disputanta, VA, USA

Oct 072011

HHR 4-cyl

Gear shifter pin broke & now won't lock in gear. The key cannot be removed except by removing a cap on the steering column & pressing a release button. Defective gear shifter pin. ------------------------------------- I went home & tried to take my key out but it would not release so since the car would not turn completely off the battery died. I found out on the internet that this has happened to thousands of people. I found out how to remove the plug on the steering column to press the release to take out the key. The gear shifter will not lock so it is easy for it to slip into neutral or out of park & roll away. I don't have the $500 they said it will take to fix it so I have to live with it. I always have to make sure to lock my emergency brake & have to hit the release to take my key out. This is dangerous & so wrong of GM not to recall this when so many have had this problem. This is their defect & not the customers.

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA