2007 Chevrolet HHR steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet HHR:

2007 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 12 of 18)

Jul 232013

HHR 4-cyl

My power steering suddenly shut off on me while driving on a busy road. I was forced to jerk my wheel very suddenly and strained my wrist. My power steering has been shutting off on me every time I have started my car since. Sometimes it will take a minute for it to fail, sometimes 5. having it randomly go out on me is far too dangerous. This intermittent problem is scary, I would rather the power steering not work at all, then have it randomly shut off on me while in traffic. Please help!!

- Encino, CA, USA

Jul 052013

HHR 4-cyl

The power steering light came on and lost power steering it could still be driven but every time I was driving I have to pull over stop the car restarted and then it'll do it again every five minutes it's been doing it since last year, around this time for about a week and now it's doing it every day.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Sep 012011

Power steering goes out until key is turned off and back on. Happens at all speeds under all conditions. I have read other GM cars with same unit have been recalled and wonder why HHR has not been recalled.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 112011

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The failure recurred intermittently. The contact crashed into a mailbox on one occurrence. The contact was not injured. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis and the manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Jul 112013

HHR 4-cyl

Power steering fails while driving. Same unit was used in Chevy cobalt and Saturn ion which was recalled by NHTSA but you failed to include HHR owers who have the exact same unit in their vehicles what does it take to get it right. Google HHR steering fails on internet. We were almost in an accident because my wife was driving the HHR when it first occurred. Do your job. Make it right.

- Derwood, MD, USA

Jun 032013

Power steering abruptly failed at low speeds, and did not resume working when vehicle was shut off and restarted.

- Little Falls, NY, USA

Jun 162013

HHR 4-cyl

The electric power steering cut out and I injured my shoulder trying to keep car on the road. GM has had this problem reported with this model but has done nothing about it did not send a warning, recall, or extend the warranty like they have done on other models with the same problems. I changed the fuse and still having the issue. Had to stop every 30 miles shut car off and restart to get home that day. It was extremely stressful driving and not knowing if it was going to happen again. Owners of this vehicle should be warned by GM, I am lucky it was not much worse, only my shoulder. My family and I could have been killed. Waiting for fatal injuries or debilitating injuries before fixing a serious problem seems to be acceptable, but the company needs to be held to a higher standard when they know that there is an issue.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Jun 152013

The power steering went out on vehicle while driving home with our 1 year old in the car. The car became very difficult for my husband to turn. We shut the car off and turned it back on and the warning light on the panel came on again. Today, 6/16/13, no light came on when we started the car and we were able to make it to our destination without incident. On the way home, it went out while driving on the interstate.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

May 142013

Power steering intermittently stops working. This has happened 4 times in the last month. Power steering failure is indicated on dash when it happens. After shutting the vehicle off and restarting, the steering is fine. This happens without warning at any speed.

- Glassport, PA, USA

May 242013

I noticed my steering wheel started pulling to the right and difficult to make a left turn. I got new tires and took it in for an alignment and was told they could not perform the alignment because the rack and pinion might be bad. The problem was they could not get the tires to stay straight. While the car was on the lift, they started the car and the steering wheel (and wheels) spun really fast all the way to the right. The shop wanted $1000 to replace the rack and pinion but I believe it is steering column assembly. Got a second opinion and they agreed with me. I am not experiencing an noises or shaking. Will try changing out the power steering motor this weekend.

- Friendswood, TX, USA

May 282013

While I was driving on the freeway, a warning chime came on and my dash read, power steering. I was able to pull over and turned off my car. I re-started my car and after a few minutes, the power steering warning light came on again. The vehicle was difficult to turn left or right. I went home and checked for a recall and noticed hundred of complaints from the cobalt and the HHR which were using the same power assist motor. I also noticed that Canada has issued a recall for this part and is offering a 10 year warranty. See link Every please file a formal complaint with GM especially if this was already recalled in Canada.

- Mckinney , TX, USA

May 022013

HHR 4-cyl

While driving the power steering message comes on the dash and the steering is very hard, I turn off the car and back on, then it is fine, now it happens all the time, dealer sent me to Chevy dealer which said no recall or extended warranty to cover repair, asked for Corp number and got bogus number which is not Corp number, I called back and asked again and that number there is never any answer. Have already done the email and spoke to rep with Chevy before on this and she stated they had not heard of this issue before and would let me know but to bring to dealer and have fixed but to keep receipt for pay back if recall happens, is recalled in friends cobalt (same part #) but not in HHR, I have now filed complaint with BBB. I am woman and carry my small grandkids in this car each day but I am getting stronger in my arms having to steer this way. Why is this HHR not on the lemon list yet?

- Texarkana, TX, USA

Apr 012013

HHR 4-cyl

Power steering stops working while driving and creates a dangerous situation, especially if you are in a curve.I can turn the engine off and restart it and steering will work for a short time. These cars have been recalled in Canada, why not in the usa. Maybe it's political. I have been to three Chevy dealers and gotten a different story from each one. GM is replacing these motors in cobalt models, and also on some Saturn models. This is an electric power steering assist motor. The first dealer I went to said I probably needed power steering fluid. I told him it was an electric power steering motor and did not use power steering fluid. He was the service mgr! I was told he would check with the factory and call me the next day. After two weeks I went back to the dealer and saw the same service. Mgr. He acted like he did not remember me but said they had a lot of these HHR in with power steering problems. So go figure. Another dealer told me $1800 to repair. The power steering motor cost is $107 at most Chevy dealers, plus installation. You get nothing but B/S from dealers. This is a safety hazard, a women or old person could not steer these cars when power steering stops working.!!!!!!!

- Kernersville, NC, USA

May 082013

While driving my car, the power steering light comes on, causing me to manually pull my car over. Turn the car off, and then the car is fine. This has happened 3X to this point.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Apr 172012

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the power steering light illuminated and then the power steering failed. The vehicle was stopped and restarted and the vehicle operated as designed. The failure had recurred numerous times. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 84,000.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Mar 042013

HHR 4-cyl

I was driving the automobile at about 65 miles an hour when a dashboard light came on saying power steering. At this time it became hard to steer. I pulled over in the breakdown lane, switched the ignition off and switched it back on. This corrected the problem for a short time, now it's a daily random problem.

- Woodville, TX, USA

Mar 082013

HHR 4-cyl Diesel

I was going into a left hand curve and all of a sudden the power steering went out and the dash started dinging the power steering warning light.

- Gretna, VA, USA

Mar 042013

HHR 4-cyl

While driving power steering began cutting out and then would come back on after restarting, but eventually failed completely. The car is now very difficult to steer at slow speeds or hard turns. Apparently this model has a history with this problem but GM will not cover it.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Feb 262013

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the power steering assist malfunction and the power steering warning lamp illuminated. The contact mentioned that once she turned the vehicle off and restarted, the vehicle resumed normal function. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 64,000.

- Indiannapolis , IN, USA

Jan 272013

HHR 4-cyl

While driving 65mph the power steering light came on and I had no power steering other Chevy vehicles with the same part have been recalled but not the HHR this is a safety issue I would like to know when it will be recalled or does someone have to be killed before the issue is fixed.

- Davis, IL, USA