2007 Chevrolet HHR steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet HHR:

2007 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 15 of 18)

Jul 202012

HHR 4-cyl

My wife nearly lost control of the vehicle while driving the HHR on the sawmill parkway during a rain event. The power steering stopped working. The curvy nature of the road and the posted speed made it extremely difficult for her to control the vehicle. The HHR is built on the same platform as the Chevy cobalt and has the same steering system. It is my understanding that the cobalt has a recall for the same issue. It does not make any sense that the same issue being identified by countless HHR users on the internet would not be included. The results could have easily been tragic.

- Derwood, MD, USA

Jul 042012

HHR

On-going despite several repair and/or replacement attempts. The rotors have been replaced four times. I just did the rotors and brakes 3 weeks ago. When it is cold the suspension seems like the car is going to fall apart. The power steering comes and goes. The first time it happen I was trying to make a U-turn and was almost rammed from the passenger side door. These cars are a death trap. All my issues has been going on for about nine months.

- Covington, GA, USA

Jun 302012

HHR

While idling, the power steering light came on and when I moved forward there was no power steering, I reached a destination and cut the car off. The power steering came back on when I restarted the car some time later. It worked okay for a day or so then began to go off and on while driving. Now it is more off than on. The Chevy HHR has the same power train as the Chevy cobalt which is under recall. I contacted a dealer this morning who said there is not a recall at this time for the HHR.

- Wakefield, VA, USA

Jun 082012

HHR

While I was driving in rush hour traffic during a turn onto a 4 lane divided highway a power steering message came on and the alarm sounded and discovered my power steering was gone. I had to pull extremely hard to the left to complete the turn. I then pulled over to check it out and turned off the car and sat there for a minute and restarted the car and it was okay. This has happened over the last 6 days several times but always in the afternoon, not the morning. I went into the place I get my car worked on for routine service and they hooked to the computer and said it had something to do with a faulty electronic switch and would have to be taken to the dealer. This is an extreme safety issue.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

May 282012

HHR

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. While driving approximately 40 mph, there was a complete loss of power steering and a chime sounded inside of the vehicle with an illumination of the power steering warning indicator. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road and the engine was turned off. The contact resumed normally after the engine was restarted. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 41,000.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

May 102012

HHR 4-cyl

When driving down highway at 55 M.P.H going around a curve, all of a sudden the electric power steering went out on my 2007 Chevrolet HHR, after research on the internet, I have found that this seems to be a pretty widespread issue. It will now only work intermittently and cuts out especially in warm weather.

- Swansea, IL, USA

Apr 022012

HHR 4-cyl

Power steering suddenly stops working. Resets after turning ignition off then back on.

- Victoria, TX, USA

May 032012

HHR

My 2007 Chevy HHR has developed a sudden issue with the "power steering" showing on the driver's display after a couple of ding sounds. When this occurs, the car immediately loses all power steering. There is no warning whatsoever, it is incredibly terrifying, especially if you are driving at highway speeds as I was. On the first occurrence on May 3, the light came on, I pulled off the highway into a gas station and allowed the car to rest for nearly half an hour. I then restarted the car, and the issue did not occur again. Then today, the incident happened again, and again at highway speeds. I pulled onto the side of the road, turned the car off for a couple of minutes, then back on. The car had the warning light and lose of power steering happen 5 times tonight.

- Rogers, , AR, USA

Apr 272012

HHR

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact was driving 10 mph when the power steering failed. The power steering warning light illuminated prior to the failure. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 42,725 and the current mileage was 42,739.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Apr 022012

HHR

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. While driving at any speed, the contact noticed that the power steering would suddenly stop functioning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where the contact was informed that the power steering pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileages were 39,000.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Oct 012010

HHR

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph and attempting a left turn, the power steering seized and the contact crashed into a cement barrier. The police were contacted and a report was filed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they advised her that they were unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was later contacted and offered no assistance. The failure recurred whenever the vehicle was in operation and the contact would have to stop and restart the vehicle in order for the failure to reset. The contact was concerned with the potential of the failure causing future crashes. The failure mileage was approximately 85,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Nov 142011

HHR 4-cyl

This vehicle has been having power steering issues for months. My wife has been driving the car and just recently mad me aware of it. I contacted a local Chevy dealer and was informed that there was no known problems with the power steering on these cars but requested I supply a VIN # and he would check further. A local repair shop looked at the power steering but had no idea how to begin to fix it. I see by check online that there has been several reported problems with power steering motors on the HHR. Would like to know how or if this is being addressed by G.M." is the ntsb involved in this at all"

- Naugatuck, CT, USA

Mar 142012

HHR 4-cyl

HHR 2007 121,000 mi warning light power steering assit failure. Lamp indicator lite vehicle became difficult to steer, was able to get to destination. Immediately checked internet chev 2007 HHR power steering found 72 complaints. I read if you restart car it resets and works for awhile. So is it broke or is it the computer" reset it seems to work so how is it broke? or is it breaking slowly? I seen where people are replacing motor 300 dollars... cobalt same thing... is there class action suit being filed? this faulty equipment then our fault and we pay" chevolet I hope your taking note of your clients concerns.

- Tempe, AZ, USA

Feb 292012

HHR 4-cyl

Power steering went out. After several miles I stopped and restarted the car and power steering came back and this occurred several time in the next few hours and days. Took car in for service... needed a new power steering motor installed for $350. Chevy cobalt recalled and 1.5 million other cars recalled and the HHR was not... same power steering motor... recalled HHR in Canada... not usa.

- University Park , FL, USA

Feb 232012

HHR

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the steering wheel would become difficult to turn and the key would become lodged in the ignition. The dealer repaired the failure by replacing the ignition switch and the power steering pump. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 138,000.

- Union City, GA, USA

Feb 112012

HHR

The power steering failed while driving. The power steering warning message showed. This has happened several times. When you turn the car off and on it resets. The reset may last for minutes or days. I researched online and there are unlimited stories with the same issue. The Chevy cobalts power steering motor has been recalled. The HHR uses the same part as the cobalt.

- Fort Worth , TX, USA

Feb 042012

HHR 4-cyl

While backing out of a parking space, the warning bell sounded and the display read power steering. While it could still be driven, it was very difficult to steer, especially from a complete stop. After the first leg of the trip, the power steering worked, upon restarting the car, for about 10 miles, when the bell rang and the power steering stopped working, again. It appears to happen after having been driven on roads with a number of turns, whereas it doesn't fail during highway driving. From the number of complaints about assorted models of this very same vehicle, it looks like GM is aware of the problem but is unwilling to do the right thing. There is no excuse for this not to have been included with other recalls.

- Horsham, PA, USA

Jan 272012

HHR

My complaint is my Chevy HHR. 2007.on Friday 1/27/2012 my wife was driving my HHR from work and she realize that she couldn't turn the car due to the power steering had went out.my wife had made it home safely thank god.she stated to me it scared her when she couldn't turn the car.when she got out of the car I check out the problem an found out it was the power sterring. Today while on line I found that Chevy had a recall on cobalt and not HHR's.that is sad you have a recall on a car that have the same problems.this problem need to be address before someone get seriously hurt.im currently unemployed and don't have the money at this time to fix my car. Some one needs to look at this soon.

- Irving, TX, USA

Jan 122012

HHR 4-cyl

While going up a curved entrance ramp at 20 mph the electric power steering motor shut down. If I had been going any faster I feel I would have not been able to control the vehicle. The power steering motor has shut down two more times since the first incident. The power steering resumes working after the engine is shut off for approximately 10 minutes and then restarting the car. The failure has happened all three times on a long curve.

- Sapulpa, OK, USA

Jan 192012

HHR 4-cyl

While driving the power steering stops working this makes the truck hard to steer for a small women this is a problem and dangerous and even more she has our small child in the truck with her.

- Adelphi , MD, USA