2007 Chevrolet HHR steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet HHR:

2007 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 4 of 18)

Jan 012015

While changing lanes power steering failed. Shut off car. Restarted and power steering was working. Power steering again failed on 01/10/2015. GM has a recall on the 2009 and 2010 HHR for this problem but does not include the 2007. However paragraph five of the GM news release, dated 2014-03-31 states that 309,160 non-turbocharged Hhrs from the 2006-2008 that are not subject to the recall will be given lifetime warranties for replacement of the electronic power steering motor. The service rep. At the local Chevrolet dealer pulled up my VIN number and said the unit had been replaced at some earlier date and replacement at this time is not covered. This is a very serious problem with the HHR and all models must be included in the recall. I expect my HHR to steer and stop. Thank you.

- Owasso, OK, USA

Nov 012011

This happened when I first bought the car, we could not get the key out of ignition and it would not stay park. So I called dealer and got nowhere, I even made a complaint on here I believe stating someone is going to get hurt. Still to this day I can put the car in and out of gear without having to apply the brake!!! GM has known about this for a long time and there should be a recall. My car didn't have a warranty when I purchased it so they are no help. So I was able to take the shifter console apart and see what was happening, I got my key out and put it together and it did it again and again and again. We have just learned how to manipulate the car so we can drive it.

- Coloma, MI, USA

Dec 142014

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the power steering motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, who diagnosed that an electrical component attached to the power steering motor needed to be replaced. No further information was available on the specifics of the diagnostic testing or if the vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Yakima, WA, USA

Dec 142014

Driving as normal when the power steering suddenly failed and the warning light and chime sounded that fact. After turning the engine off, the power steering again worked. The same event happened later in the day. This is a very dangerous failure and after research, numerous 2007 HHR's are experiencing this as a common failure. Apparently it is a short in the electric power steering unit mounted on the steering column. Chevy absolutely needs to recall before a serious crash occurs if one or more hasn't already occurred.

- Unionville, VA, USA

Jan 212011

HHR 4-cyl

Applied brakes at various speeds and the brakes pulsated and steering wobbles. Replaced the brake pads and turned the rotors and about a month later that same thing happens. This has been going on since 2011 and is still the same problem today even after putting on new rotors and brake pads..I only have about 38,000 miles on the car now.

- Santee, CA, USA

Dec 052014

HHR 4-cyl

The power steering in my 2007 HHR has went out thks it's the second time! the first time was when the recall fur HHR 2009 & 10 came out. I was told then they could fix the wiring and I would have to pay! now the whole thing has to be replaced and I believe this is something that should be done by GM not myself! I know GM has lots going on right now with all the part issues and I'm not trying to cause anymore drama, but I feel right is right and I should not have to pay $1179.25 for something that I can't control! I'm just asking for help to take car off my car and to check on the safety for all other HHR 2007 customer! thank U for reading this and have a blessed and wonderful day!

- Detroit, MI, USA

Nov 282014

I was driving down the street and the power steering stopped working. I was in a construction zone and there was no shoulder. I had to drive a few miles with no power steering in order to safely pull over. I shut the car of and back on and it started working again. This has happened 3 times now. I could have crashed and hurt someone. I see there were recalls on the same part but for different years.

- San Tan Valley, AZ, USA

Oct 082014

Driving down highway power steering goes out, alarm buzzer and lights on dash come on. After being shutoff if worked until a few days later. Same thing. Shutting off seems to allow it to reset itself. Investigation shows the steering is the same part number as a cobalt but 2007 HHR isn't on recall only cobalt. The HHR was actually manufactured in late 2006. Purchased new.

- Sevierville , TN, USA

Nov 132014

HHR 4-cyl

I was traveling approximately 20 mph and went to turn onto a street when the power steering went out. There was a dinging sound and it showed power steering on the dash display. I was inches away from an accident. I have already taken the car into the dealer last week for this same issue. I had the steering go out a couple of weeks ago. The dealership, don hewlett Chevrolet, georgetown, Texas, said they replaced the power steering motor and it was fixed. I almost had a vehicle accident both times.

- Georgetown, TX, USA

Oct 092014

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while approaching a stop light traveling approximately 15 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop, where the contact was referred to check with a local authorized dealer for inspection, diagnosis and repair. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Prairieville, LA, USA

Aug 292014

HHR 4-cyl

While driving the power steering stopped working. A chime sounded and the dashboard panel indicated "power steering." We stopped drove a short distance to our destination without incident, but with great difficulty steering. When we started the car again, the power steering worked. However, since that time the power steering will stop working about 90 percent of the time. If we turn the car off and restart it, the power steering works for a short time and cuts off. From internet research we are aware of many others having this same problem.

- Louisburg, NC, USA

Feb 142014

HHR 4-cyl

The power steering gets hard to turn and there is a clicking noise once.

- Huron, CA, USA

Sep 102014

A warning light comes on in the dash and then the power steering goes out, causing the car to steer very hard.before this started to happen, for the last couple of years every time I applied the brakes the steering wheel would vibrate very bad. I had everything checked like brake pads, rotors, shocks, tires etc. Nothing ever seemed to solve the with the power steering going out, I checked to see if there was a recall on this problem. I was told there was a recall about this same problem with the Chevy cobalt which is basically the same car. I don't understand why a recall has not been made on the HHR.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Jul 082014

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. While driving approximately 20 mph, the steering wheel seized and the contact had to use excessive force to turn the steering wheel. The failure occurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Sep 042014

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, a warning sound chimed and the power steering light illuminated. The contact merged the vehicle to the side of the road and turned the vehicle off. After five minutes the contact restarted the vehicle and attempted to drive, but the steering wheel had become very difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 154,000.

- Chillicothe, OH, USA

Jul 152014

HHR 4-cyl

While driving on the hwy, the steering became "stiff"; a chime sounded and the read-out said "power steering". the steering responded as though the car had been put in neutral and turned. I drive 100 miles a day going to and from work. This may happen once or it may happen several times a day. It has happened in the middle of a turn and a collision was narrowly avoided. This car belongs to my mother, who is 75 years old. I've been driving her so she doesn't have to deal with the problem. She doesn't have the upper arm strength to man-handle the steering, especially when it happens suddenly and unexpectedly. I've found the recall on the 2009-2010 HHR's (letter 14115) and it mentions a "... special coverage (GM bulletin number 14119) that will be implemented for my 2006-2008 and early production of 2009 Chevrolet HHR...". I cannot find details on this bulletin anywhere. My father has ordered the part for the car. Will bulletin 14119 cover reimbursement if he has to pay for the repair out-of-pocket?

- Henryetta, OK, USA

Jul 072014

HHR 4-cyl

Chevy HHR power steering fails at random times and speeds. Becomes progressively worse with time. Seems to be heat sensitive, does it more on hot days after starting a closed up car. Some times happens 4 or 5 times a day, some times much more. Pull over, shut off engine and it resets itself every time. It can be difficult to control on a wet curved expressway ramp when the steering suddenly stops working. The same power steering motor was recalled in Canada for the same defect across the board. It is time GM replaced these motors and quit playing around.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Sep 022014

HHR 4-cyl

I own a 2007 Chevy HHR with the same problem thousands of people are having. The power steering just quits! there is a recall for different models of cars with the same bad part number as mine. Why aren't all cars with this same power steering motor recalled. The car isn't the issue the bad part is. There should be a recall of all cars with this part currently installed.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

May 152014

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated while driving approximately 35 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The power steering light illuminated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The technician was unable to locate the failure. The vehicle has not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Millbury, MA, USA

Jul 192014

HHR 4-cyl

The power steering goes out intermittently and is very hard to steer but when you shut the car off and turn it back on it works. I have had this situation happen on sharp curves and it is not fun! someone at GM needs to recall these cars, not just some of the 2007 models. I took it to my local GM dealership and they wanted to charge me $123 to diagnose it, not going to happen! I have read several posts that say that the power steering has a lifetime warranty on the power steering pumps, I will have to call them to find out!

- West Paducah, KY, USA