2008 Chevrolet HHR engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet HHR:

2008 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments

Jul 282015

Was at a stop sign and went to cross the highway got halfway across and relied the car was slowing down looked at dashboard and everything lok normal made it across highway safely and pulled over engine was not running put car in park and restarted the car proceeded home to find the doors would not lock with interior buttons or remote the remote will turn on the alarm you can manually lock the doors but you can't lock the hatch update 9/15/15

- Hominy, OK, USA

Jun 102014

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, there was a sudden loss on engine power as the electronic throttle control warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacture was made aware. Of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 51,000...updated 08-28-14

- Camden, DE, USA

Apr 172014

HHR 4-cyl

Around April my car started to have a hard time accelerating. A warning cane on the dash that read "loosing enginepower" or words to that effect. When I would brake my car would shake. When I would drive at about 35 my car steering wheel would start B to shake and was hard to control. I took it to my local Chevy dealership where I had the oil change, all four breaks replaced, the tech took a ride with me to hear and feel what my car had been doing. He said he didn't know what it was but ran a diagnostic on it and it said multiple things maybe wrong with, such as the fuel injector, the turbo had came up and a fuel regulator and the electrical system. I asked if it was safe to drive and they insured me it was. My car continued to make all these sounds and struggled to accelerate and the breaks were still slipping. On April 17th I was driving on my son's field trip and suddenly my car started to lose power. I pulled over to side of the interstate at the truck stop. I turned my car off and oil was every where. I had my car towed to the local dealership where I purchased the car. They said the timing chain had broke, causing major damage to my engine. I will have to replace my engine. Had my car been properly diagnosed, this could have been prevented. I am now out I found a vehicle due to this misdiagnosis. I have had this car for almost 2 years.

- Laquey, MO, USA

Nov 042013

HHR 4-cyl

While driving, multiple times, I would hear a chime, the power steering lights up on dash, then loss of power steering would result. This problem started happening approximately 1 1/2 years ago. This problem is getting more frequent and is extremely dangerous. I took the car to pine belt approximately 1 1/2 weeks ago and was told I needed a power steering pump. I was told if that did not work that I would need a column replacement. This is a $1400 repair that I cannot afford. This is my only vehicle & I use it for both business and personal uses. As an example of how dangerous this situation is, I went on an hour & a half drive yesterday (4/22/14) and the power steering went out 18 times. At one point, I lost control of the car while trying to make a turn and almost ran into a curb. This is an extremely dangerous situation for both myself & to other drivers on the road.

- Brick, NJ, USA

Mar 052012

HHR 4-cyl

This vehicle has problems picking up speed. It jerks constantly and when idling it shutters. I have looked at message boards and seen others with same complaints. These problems need to be addressed. This is a huge safety issue when I'm trying to merge.

- Universal City, TX, USA

Jul 082008

2008 HHR ss faulty brakes from cold start. Excessive frontal brake dust. Serviced at 2000 miles. Serviced again at 17,000 miles needing new brakes.dealership says this is normal condition. My ss model has 2 different front seats which dealership says this is normal.speed control floats, slow to respond..originally froze at 70mph. I did receive a citation for speeding cuz of malfunctioned. L/F /F and R/F tire pressure readings are reversed according to the ip. Very irate 30 year GM employee who paid cash for this mess.

- Arlington, TX, USA