2008 Chevrolet HHR steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet HHR:

2008 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 5 of 13)

Jul 022012

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated while driving approximately 25 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated on instrument panel and the steering wheel became difficult to turn; however, the contact managed to coast into a parking lot. The vehicle was towed to the her residence. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for a diagnostic testing and the mechanic confirmed that the power steering motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000. Updated 10/2/14

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

May 012014

HHR

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated while driving various speeds the power steering warning light illuminated as the power steering failure made the steering wheel very difficult to turn. The contact indicated that the failure occurred intermittently and had become progressively worse. The failure was not diagnosed nor was the vehicle repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect but no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 78,000.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jul 102014

HHR 4-cyl

The Chevy HHR's power steering goes out periodically without warning. In this case, I was making a left hand turn on to a busy roadway and nearly struck a vehicle and/or possibly pedestrians. I understand that Chevy's cobalt has been recalled for this problem but not the HHR, which uses the same exact part. It is incredibly dangerous and according to my internet based research, all too common. Please look into this and force GM to stand by their product. ( if the data indicates this is in fact, a common issue of course.) thank you

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

May 062014

HHR

TL * the contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the steering wheel would become difficult to turn on several occasions. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V171000 (electrical system); however, the part needed for the repair was unavailable. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 61,000.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Jul 182014

HHR

While driving the power steering will suddenly cut out- the power steering message will appear on the dash message board. This occurs several times during a trip at varying speeds (65mph, 55mph, 45mph). I am concerned about the extent of the permanent damage. Since the first occurrence, it has been a near daily concern.

- Bartow, FL, USA

Apr 172014

HHR

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 30 mph, the power steering failed without warning. The vehicle was able to restart but the failure persisted. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering motor needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Buffalo , NY, USA

Jul 272014

HHR 4-cyl

As I was driving down the road, my Chevy HHR suddenly lost its power steering. There was a message on the dashboard that read, "power steering, " but otherwise there was no warning. I managed to get home without an incident, but this is a potentially dangerous problem. The power steering was fully functional when I tested it later that same day. I read in the usa today that GM had issued a recall for power steering failure in several of its vehicles including the HHR, but my local Chevrolet dealership told me that my vehicle was not under recall and that I would have to pay for any repair work. It is too dangerous to drive without getting it fixed, but I think that GM needs to stand by its product.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 212013

HHR

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle lost power steering and the power steering warning light illuminated. As a result, the contact lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a pole. There was no injuries reported. A police report was filed of the incident. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing, however they could not duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Epps, LA, USA

Mar 012012

HHR

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 5 mph, the power steering failed and the power steering warning light illuminated. The dealer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 73,000.

- Gibsonia, PA, USA

Apr 042014

HHR

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 15 mph, the power steering failed and the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering motor needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Humble, TX, USA

Jul 152014

HHR 4-cyl

Vehicle steering wheel became extremely difficult to turn--similar to a vehicle having lost the power steering function. No vehicle warning--feeling, vibration, or sound--was apparent prior to the failure. The Chevrolet HHR, as well as other Chevrolet models, have been issued a power steering recall; however, the 2008 HHR model year is not yet included. Calling the phone number from the GM website, the customer service representative could not confirm GM would be issuing a recall for the 2008 model.

- Yakima, WA, USA

Jul 042014

HHR

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the power steering failed. The contact stated the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering) however, the failure persisted. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Jul 112014

HHR 4-cyl

Driving on the city road when heard a chime on the car and the car pulled to the right I park the vehicle and notice the steering sing on display and the steering wheel got real hard I turn off the car and re started the car and went away has happen twice since the first time.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jul 072014

HHR 4-cyl

As I was driving on the highway the power steering alarm came on and about a minute after that I lost power steering. My son was with me so he help me steer it off the road. I turned it off and then turned it back on and about 3 minutes the alarm came back on. My son was able to drive the car to the dealership. This could have caused an accident.

- Northport , AL, USA

Jul 102014

HHR

2008 Chevy HHR power steering message came on.

- Sikeston, MO, USA

Jul 092014

HHR 4-cyl

Power steering alarm goes off periodically and I lose power steering of my vehicle.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Jan 012014

HHR 4-cyl

Powersteering goes out immediately on moving forward or backward. Cannot locate a powersteering motor anywhere in the world.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Nov 302013

HHR 4-cyl

In November 2013, my power steering in my 2008 HHR went out while I was driven and continues to do so. I did some research and realized other HHR owners were having the same problem. I called the Chevy hotline and there were no recall for this problem. I filed a complaint and waited. In April Chevy recalled power steering for the 2008 HHR bulletin # 14119. I didnt recieve a recall letter. I called Chevy hotline twice since. The last call Chevy said my 2008 HHR powersteering is not being recalled under this bulletin. This is my 2nd complaint.

- Mcalpin, FL, USA

Jun 132014

HHR 4-cyl

Power steering failure. Not covered under recall and GM refuses to include my vehicle in the extended warranty. Below excerpt from GM media center on 3/31/14 press release: "in addition, 309,160 non-turbocharged Chevrolet Hhrs from the 2006-2008 model years (and several hundred 2009 models) and 96,324 Saturn ions from the 2003 model year that are not subject to these recalls will be given lifetime warranties for replacement of the electronic power steering motor." In addition to being a safety issue in a vehicle I Transport children it is also cause me back pain having to muscle the car into turns.

- Largo, FL, USA

Apr 012014

HHR 4-cyl

Backing out of driveway power steering kicked off. Continued to randomly kick off for next month or so. Contacted General Motors who claim my VIN is not included in recall. Power steering kicks off every time you start the car now.

- Thorn Hill, TN, USA