2008 Chevrolet HHR steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet HHR:

2008 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 6 of 13)

Jul 022014

HHR 4-cyl

I was approaching a business driveway that required me to make a left hand turn, so I brake (at which time there occurred a heavy side-to-side shimmy of the steering wheel, a "clunk" or "pop" from the area of the engine compartment or front suspension, and a chime from the dash) and began the turn into a driveway across lanes of oncoming traffic. The steering became extremely difficult midway through the turn, which caused me to drive partially through a ditch rather than completing my turn safely and entering the driveway fully on the pavement. I then had to park, turn the key to the "off" position and restart in order to reactivate the power steering. We have been experiencing this randomly for several months and have even acquired some minor body and cosmetic damage due to having lost power steering in a curve. When I contacted the dealership, they told me it might be from a faulty ignition switch that is now on order and may take quite awhile to become available. Today, I ran an internet search and found hundreds of mentions of this same problem within my year model, including a number of recalls that seem to affect the electrical power steering of this model and others. However, when I again called the dealership to inquire, they informed me that my VIN is not included in any of the steering recalls, and that I would have to pay them or someone else to make the repairs and attempt to get reimbursed if it ever does become included. The advisor also instructed me to call 1-800-101-0220 to complain, which only gets me a recording stating that the call cannot be completed, which sounds as if it has been disconnected. This is a serious safety issue not only for the drivers and passengers of these cars, but also for other drivers and possibly pedestrians who might find themselves in harm's way when this completely random event occurs.

- Humble, TX, USA

May 232013

My power steering went out on my 2008 HHR while I was making a left hand turn, I had to jerk the steering wheel back to avoid going into the oncoming traffic. I have had this problem ever since with the steering going out and having to wrestle with it. I took the vehicle to the Chevrolet dealer ship to complain in cape coral, fl. And they told me it would cost me to fix the problem. I find that this is a severe safety issue and a General Motors co. Defect that I should not beheld responsible for to pay. Please check into this problem and see if there is anymore complaints on this steering problem.

- Cape Coral , FL, USA

HHR 4-cyl

Started vehicle and was exiting parking lot at approximately 10 mph. Heard a click, power steering was not available and the dic showed "power steering". drove the car for a short distance to see if it would correct. Shut off the vehicle and started back after a few minutes. Power steering was working normally. Drove a few hundred feet, heard a click again, power steering went out again and dic again displayed "power steering". went to internet to see if there was any information on this problem and found it was a recall on the 2009-2011 model Hhrs. One area specified there were some 2008S that were involved in the recall as well. Contacted my dealer on 05/27/2014 to bring in the car and asked about the recall, unfortunately my vehicle was not one of those being recalled. The repair cost was $280 to replace the eps motor. It appears there are more 2008 model cars with this same problem as well. I, too, am wondering why these models are not included in the recall.

- Winnsboro, SC, USA

Jun 232014

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the power steering failed and the power steering warning lamp illuminated in the instrument panel. The vehicle was able to be successfully restarted and resume normal function. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The dealer verified that the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 41,000.

- New Carlisle , OH, USA

May 262014

Backing up out of drive way, steering was hard to move steering wheel. Took car to dealer which in addition I have the recall for ignition recall the dealer states they have recalls for the steering but my VIN number is not a recall at this time. So why am I having the same problems as other recalls and I am not able to get the repairs under the GM company dealer states I need a power steering which is electrical and a steering column.

- Montebello , CA, USA

May 182014

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the steering wheel became extremely difficult to turn and the power steering warning light illuminated. When the contact shut off and restarted the vehicle, it operated normally for a brief period of time before the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who replaced the power steering module. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Clinton, IA, USA

Jun 142014

As exiting the expressway lost the steering power it was very hard to turn since I wasnt expecting it I ended at the shoulder and a flat tire.the car behind me realized I had car problems and was able to react to avoid a car accident. I heard of a recall and contacted GM at 1-800-222-1020. I was told they were aware of this situation but only doing a recall of 2009 and foward not 2008. I am also waiting for the dealership to contact me regarding the recall for the ignition.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Apr 172014

HHR 4-cyl

Around April my car started to have a hard time accelerating. A warning cane on the dash that read "loosing enginepower" or words to that effect. When I would brake my car would shake. When I would drive at about 35 my car steering wheel would start B to shake and was hard to control. I took it to my local Chevy dealership where I had the oil change, all four breaks replaced, the tech took a ride with me to hear and feel what my car had been doing. He said he didn't know what it was but ran a diagnostic on it and it said multiple things maybe wrong with, such as the fuel injector, the turbo had came up and a fuel regulator and the electrical system. I asked if it was safe to drive and they insured me it was. My car continued to make all these sounds and struggled to accelerate and the breaks were still slipping. On April 17th I was driving on my son's field trip and suddenly my car started to lose power. I pulled over to side of the interstate at the truck stop. I turned my car off and oil was every where. I had my car towed to the local dealership where I purchased the car. They said the timing chain had broke, causing major damage to my engine. I will have to replace my engine. Had my car been properly diagnosed, this could have been prevented. I am now out I found a vehicle due to this misdiagnosis. I have had this car for almost 2 years.

- Laquey, MO, USA

Jun 112014

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle started to shake violently when the brakes were applied. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. However they did advised the contact by phone that the vehicle could have developed tire flat spots and the rotors could have seized due to the vehicle seating for two months on dealers lot waiting for parts in order to repair recall NHTSA campaign id number 14V047000(air bags, electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 89,551.

- Church Hill, TN, USA

Jun 092014

At any given time I lose my power steering. If I turn the car off and restart it works for awhile but the problem returns. I did see where they issued a recall for 2009 and later but did not include 2008 however they did say that they would honor lifetime warranty on the power steering motor on my car but when I take the car to the dealer they say this VIN number is not under a recall when I tell them it is under a lifetime warranty they look at me like I have two heads. Can you send me anything that I can give to the dealer so they will fix this problem.

- Essex, MD, USA

Jan 062014

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the power steering failed and became difficult to turn. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Apr 012013

2008 Chevrolet HHR. Consumer writes in regards to power steering went out.

- Silvis, IL, USA

Jan 012014

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that at slower speeds the power steering assist failed to function properly and the vehicle failed to shut off. Immediately following the failure the power steering failure warning indicator illuminated on the instrumental panel. The contact notified the manufacturer; however, they stated that the year of the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The dealer stated the power steering motor needed to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Salinas, CA, USA

Apr 042014

HHR 4-cyl

The first incident occurred as I was slowing to make a turn and a message appeared on the message center that said power steering. Over the course of the next 2 - 3 days I lost power steering in the car approximately 35 - 40 times. We then took the car to a Chevy dealer to have the ignition switch work done. They had the car for 1 1/2 months. I didn't have any issues until about 2 weeks after I picked the car up and have continued to have problems with losing power steering as I'm driving down the road. From what I understand, my car seems to be doing the same thing that the 2009 & 2010 HHR's that are being recalled are doing.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

May 052014

HHR 4-cyl

Steering cuts out while driving, , restart car back on but a repeating process.

- Hagerstown, MD, USA

May 212014

HHR 4-cyl

While driving on the highway at 65 mph+, power steering message shows, dinging noise sounds, and the steering becomes difficult. All power steering is lost while on the highway, and it is now 100X harder to move the car to the next lane and pull over to the emergency lane. Has happened over 6 times in a week's timeframe.

- Henrico, VA, USA

May 262014

"power steering" message appeared on the dash board and the power steering functionality failed. Almost caused an accident as it occurred during a tight turn. After car was restarted the problem resolved temporarily, but recurred shortly thereafter and continues to recur with high frequency.

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

May 172014

HHR 4-cyl

While driving without notice, the power steering stops working and at the same time, the notice that it has pops up on the dash. In order to reset it, I have to stop, turn off the car, and then restart the car. This seems like a big safety concern to me. I am told that it is a sensor that has failed. Is this suppose to be covered by a recall or something that the NHTSA would want to look into?

- Oak Park, IL, USA

May 232014

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated while driving various speeds the power steering would independently disengage. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer nor the dealer were notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Summerville , SC, USA

Feb 062014

The car hit a bump on the street and power steering alarm went off indicating a loss of that function. When pulled over to the side of the road, and ignition was turned off and back on, the problem resolved. From there on out, this problem would occur at irregular times whether the car hit a bump or not and the same remedy was used: Pull over, turn switch off, turn switch back on and proceed. Within a distance of 32 miles, this averaged about 6 times. Today the dealership called and reported the car was fixed, but when my wife asked about the power steering problem, we were told "if it happens again, just bring it back", which doesn't sound as if that part of the ignition switch was fixed. We did not want to sign off on our car until the entire problem was taken care of. Thank you for any help in this matter.

- Carrollton, GA, USA