2000 Chevrolet Impala engine NHTSA complaints: Engine

NHTSA — Engine Problems

2000 Chevrolet Impala (Page 1 of 2)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

2000 Chevrolet Impala engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Chevrolet Impala:

2000 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 092014

Impala

I went to start my car, which had been parked in my driveway for a couple days, and when I turned the key I heard a loud pop and instantly saw smoke coming from under the hood. Within minutes the hood turned colors and flames started to shoot out. The whole engine compartment burned until the fire department responded and put the fire out.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Sep 152014

Impala

The contact owns a 2000 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 35 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn and the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 168,000.

- Hickory, NC, USA

Oct 012014

Impala

2000 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer writes in regards to GM recall #14350.* ld the consumer stated prior to receiving the recall, she experienced several problems with the vehicle, such as: The gas needle stopped working, a loud thumping noise was heard, every time she attempted to start the vehicle. Also, the engine light illuminated, and it wouldn't go off. The repair shop was unable to determine the problem. The consumer was involved in an accident and the air bag did not deploy.

- Roxboro, NC, USA

Oct 012012

Impala

Hit a pot hole on the highway. Key fell out of the ignition, was able to retrieve the key off the floor and restart the car while driving. I think that my knee may have hit the key knocking it into the accessories position resulting in the key falling out of the ignition. I just left moran Chevrolet in clinton township, mi to have the ignition key recall fix. I notice the key can still be removed in the accessories position. In my opinion all the fix did for GM recall 14350 was add more weight to my key by putting a larger, heavier head on my key. NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000

- Roseville, MI, USA

Dec 282013

Impala

The contact owns a 2000 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled on several occasions. The contact was not able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the contacts residence and was not able to be driven due to the intermittent failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000. Updated 12/9/14

- Elizabeth, WV, USA

Jul 302014

Impala

Re: date complaint filed: 03/15/2011 component(s): Vehicle speed control date of incident: 03/11/2011 NHTSA id number: 10390238 every once in a while my 2000 Impala with a 3400cc V6 would maintain 50mph with my foot off the gas! the cause is an intermittent malfunction of the tps sensor. It took my Impala 3 years to throw a code and after I replaced the tps, the car's throttle settled down.

- Phoenixville, PA, USA

Apr 032014

Impala

I have a 2000 Impala with approximately 161,000 miles on it. The car is used and I am the 2nd owner. I went to have my normal oil change as I had noticed the low engine oil pressure light had come on. The car had been running out of oil frequently, but I didn't see any oil leaks. The print out after the oil change stated multiple oil leaks. But there was never any oil on the ground. The car had been running very rough and was staring to run warmer than usual. Not hot, but past the middle line on the temp gauge. And I had noticed a burning smell after driving, but never saw any smoke. This all started in April 2014 and has been ongoing. I've taken the car to a repair shop and nobody seems to know what's going on. Now July 5,2014 I went to turn left and the steering wheel was extremely hard to turn. I had to put a lot of muscle into turning the wheel. I checked the power steering fluid and saw it was low so I topped it off. Problem should have been fixed right? wrong. It got worse. I took it to a different repair shop and was told it was the tensioner pulley. O'er $100 later, the problem has gotten worse. When I turn left the wheel stays stuck and I have to jerk it back straight. Thus is a safety hazard as I Transport my family in this vehicle. Since these problems stared the car eats a lot of gas. Going 5 miles should not use almost a quarter tank of gas and the check engine light comes on and stays on at random times, during theses times the car eats a lot if gas. When the light is not on gas mileage is ok. This is very dangerous.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 242014

Impala

I was pulling out of a parking lot and my vehicle suddenly shut off making me loose steering control and almost causing a bad accident. I managed to get the car to a stop and I restarted the ignition. I pulled off and sat in a lot for a few minutes. The next day I had the same problem while merging onto a main highway.

- Elmont, NY, USA

Apr 162014

Impala

My wife went to start the car to move it out of the way and the engine exploded burst into flames, intake manifold was blown into pieces.

- Coolidge, AZ, USA

Apr 012014

Impala 6-cyl

I have a 2000 Chevy Impala that I just bought, when I'm driving it has a burning smell to it and it dropping oilfrom some where. And it runs hot, I have to turn the heat on so the temperature gauge will go down.

- Pontiac , MI, USA

Mar 192014

Impala

Vehicle shuts off while driving... extremely dangerous to drive!! this has happened on multiple occasions.

- El Dorado, AR, USA

Jan 082014

Impala 6-cyl

On 1/8/14 at approx. 8:00 am, I attempted to start my car, I heard a loud pop or bang and smelled smoke, I quickly got out of the car and noticed smoke coming from the hood. I popped the hood and luckily my neighbor and boyfriend had come outside at this point and put the "fire" that had started under the hood, out with snow. Basically, I attempted to crank the car, there was an explosion from the intake manifold during the cranking, resulting in an explosion and small fire. I contacted GM directly asking if there was a possible recall that was similar to the situation that had occurred. After a short investigation, the claims representative denied my claim stating that my car was probably just old. It was not until I heard about the cobalt recalls, did I decide to do more investigations.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Mar 072014

Impala 6-cyl

I have had this car since it was new. In 2008 it died on my wife, luckily she was able to pull over to the side of the road. To make a long story short she has never drove it since. I have spent about a $1000 bucks trying to find out what is going on. It will start up after you get stopped and put it in park. I have took it to the Chevy dealer and left it with them and it never acts up so they are not any help. You never know when it is going to die on you so you must always drive in the right lane so you can pull over. You loose power steering and power brakes. I have called GM and ask them about it but they just say there is not a recall on my car.after watching tv about all the GM cars that are dyeing I think my car is doing the same thing. I think it is the key switch. I like the old car and would like to keep it but I'm about scared to drive it.I am 68 years old now and don't have so much get up and go as I once had.

- Alexander, AR, USA

Mar 082008

Impala

The contact owns a 2000 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle suddenly decelerated and became unresponsive. The failure recurred sporadically. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the ignition switch was replaced. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 82,897.

- Brewster, MA, USA

Jul 012013

Impala

Saw recent GM recall for Chevy cobalt, Saturn, etc. Regarding engine dying unexpectedly while driving on the road (bad ignition switch). My Impala has the same symptom and if you search the internet for "why does Impala die while driving" it is a common problem for this model. My Impala will be running smooth, speed from 30 to 60, but slowing down for any reason, sometimes the engine just dies. This is especially dangerous when slowing down for a turn. All of a sudden no power steering and limited brakes. This is a very dangerous situation, I don't want to drive the car. There is no indication like rough engine or the car stumbling from lack of gas, it just quietly dies. If this ignition switch is the cause, this recall should be expanded to include Impala's at least. I called the local Chevrolet dealer and they basically said, well it's a 14 year old car. Not the point! my older cars don't do this. Search the internet, people have tried many things but the problem seems to persist. Chevrolet has to know what the problem is.

- Kirkland, WA, USA

Feb 242014

Impala

On 2/24/14 at approximately 2:50 pm, I properly attached a set of battery jumper cables from my truck to this car to start it from a dead battery situation. When the owner attempted to crank the car, there was an explosion from the intake manifold during the cranking, resulting in an explosion and small fire. The owner immediately switched the car off, and exited the vehicle, and I immediately closed the hood so that the fire would not spread, called the fire department, and removed the vehicles around it. The fire dept. Responded within 5 min., and extinguished the fire with water. The fire dept. And police inspected the car, and left after it was determined that the fire was properly extinguished, and there was no further risk of the fire re-starting. The fire damage was confined to the entire under-hood area of the car. When the explosion happened, the engine cover and oil filler cap was blown approximately 5 ft. From the car, the intake manifold was blown open, and the fire was burning inside the intake manifold. We attempted to push the car into the parking space, but it would not move. It seemed the engine had seized, probably as a result of the fire. The car has since been towed to our mechanic. The car's owner was inside of the car, attempting to start it via the ignition key. I asked her if there were any prior issues with the car, and she told me that at the time, other than a flat tire and dead battery, the A/C was inoperative, and not being used. Approximately 2-3 years ago, the car was brought to a local dealer, and a recall issue was performed on it. She did not remember what service and recall repairs were done on the car. Prior to this incident, the car had not been operated for approximately 2 weeks. I am the person most able to give the details of the incident. The owner of the car (sister) has authorized me to act on her behalf in this matter.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Dec 302013

Impala 6-cyl

While attempting to start the car first thing in the morning, the car started and ran for about 15 seconds, then exploded busting a hole through the upper manifold intake.

- Leesville, LA, USA

Nov 272013

Impala 6-cyl

Car was parked in a parking garage and burst into flames.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 142012

Impala 6-cyl

My car started to over heat in the middle of winter in Minnesota. There was plenty of coolant in the reservoirs. While the vehicle was idling there was a noise and once I started to move again the car began to jerk then the check engine light came on while attempting to accelerate. Then a few weeks later the gas gauge began showing the incorrect about of gas levels in my vehicle.

- Edina, MN, USA

Jan 242013

Impala 6-cyl

I will be driving down the street/highway and the car will just cut off and die. This has happened several times and I've contacted GM motors and they claim they haven't heard of this problem. I look online to see if I can figure the issue out and came across several other Impala owners that are experiencing the same issues. I've taken my car to the shop numerous times to have it fixed and the problem isn't being solved!! this is a very serious issue that could cause harm to me and my family and other drivers.

- Elizabethtown, KY, USA