2001 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Impala:

2001 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 6 of 9)

Jul 152010

I have a 2001 Chevy Impala. On occasion it just won't start. I had it into the Chevy dealer several times to know avail. There has been millions of complaints about this issue. Why hasn't GM addressed this problem?

- Fremont, WI, USA

Jul 282010

Headlights, taillights, interior lights were all flashing. The car also would have incidents where it wouldn't start and I'd have to wait for 10 minutes to restart. I was told by the mechanic at the dealership that these problems were well known in GM cars and were caused by the BCM and passlock system. I was told that installing a new BCM for $400 would fix the problem. Immediately, I noticed that the flashing lights had stopped. A month later, I was leaving a grocery store when I tried to start my car and it wouldn't start. I had to wait 10 minutes before it would restart. I called the dealership service center and they told me that when this happens, the passlock system is resetting itself and the only remedy is to replace the BCM again. I had a 1 year warranty on the replacement of the BCM, so I took it to the dealer the next day. The car wouldn't do it when they had it, so they weren't able to determine that the BCM was the problem. I was never able to get it replaced because it wouldn't happen while at the dealership. Now that it's been over a year, the non-start issue has been happening weekly. GM will not assist with paying for another BCM because of the mileage of my vehicle.

- Trotwood, OH, USA

Jul 172010

The vehicle doesn't recognize your key and won't start. This issue can happen once a week once a month once a year, you just never know. Usually if you wait 20 minutes for the computer to reset it will start, but that is not always the case. The turn signals on the vehicle also do not work 50% of the time.

- Batavia, IL, USA

Jun 252004

Incident, car will not start. Over the past 6 years when key is inserted into ignition the car will not start. Security light flashes and I will get locked out for ten minutes. There is no warning as to when this will happen, one day it happened 4 times. That's 40 minutes locked out. I have taken it to mechanics who said they can't find anything wrong, some wanted to charge $400 to look into it. When I asked a Chevy dealer about it they said they have no known fix. One dealer said install a remote starter, but it may not resolve the issue. The problem happens alot when it is hot and humid, but can also happen at any given time.

- Panama City, FL, USA

May 202010

GM starting electrical error. 2001 Chevy Impala. The security thinks the car is being stolen. And the only easy fix is disconnect the battery. So to all the thieves take mine. This problem occurs on a regular basis. Ie three to five times a day, depending on how many times I use the vehicle. Currently 132K miles. Car runs great otherwise. Why doesn't GM recall this error"??"

- Plover, WI, USA

Sep 072009

Problem starting 2001 Chevy Impala in extremely warm weather. All lights on dashboard light up and car will not start. Replaced the battery the first time it happened in fall. Replaced the alternator. Replaced the wires to the battery. Researched and found that it was the passlock security system, for which numerous people are having similar problems. Have been stuck at work parking lot in evening, at gas station after filling up and other locations, usually when I'm alone. Will not allow my son or daughter to drive vehicle. Definitely a safety issue.

- Kensington, CT, USA

Apr 042010

Electrical problems.... my car is a 2001 and it just quit while we were approaching a busy enter section on easter Sunday. After being towed home $255 later. We figured out it was a #15 fuse and it drove okay for about 1 mile and the fuse blew again, then I inserted a new fuse. That night we replaced the relay and this worked for about 40 miles and then what to get it towed home again. Now it is in the dealership for electrical damage. It scared the daylights out me, never had this problem before. We replaced the fuel pump I think 8 months ago.

- Mechanicsville, MD, USA

Jul 012008

I began having electrical problems in my 2001 Chevrolet Impala in mid 2008, which continued to get worse until around late 2009 when the car was no longer safe to drive. These problems consisted of headlights flickering on and off randomly, intermittent turn signal failure, and a variety of other electrical related issues. Doing minimal research on the internet shows that many consumers have or are suffering from the exact same problems, and it appears that the majority of these claims are (temporarily?) solved by replacing the body control module in these vehicles. After replacing my body control module at the dealer ($600), the airbag light came on within a few days of the repair. I presume it is also related to a faulty body control module since that is what many voices on the internet say to check. I called my local Chevrolet dealer and asked about another replacement, and they told me it would cost 170$ just to look at it and they said it was instead related to an airbag control module (more electrical). This vehicle has been in my family since it was purchased brand new, and has experienced a variety of electrical problems, most of which went away after replacing the body control module. After replacing the BCM, some have come back already. Please put a stop to this! it is highly dangerous to be driving down the freeway at night and have my headlights suddenly stop working or turn signals that are unreliable at best or an airbag that fails to launch during an accident. The symptoms seem to get worse the older the body control module, and I can see it happening all over again now that my airbag light is on after replacing my body control module.

- Redwood City, CA, USA

Mar 262010

This has happened about a dozen times in last several months since I purchased the car. I go to start it and nothing. It will not turn over. Security light comes on. Radio and lights continue tol work. If I wait 10 minutes it will start. It happened again today making me late to work again.

- Howell, MI, USA

Mar 262008

Turn signal on 2001 Chevy Impala works intermittently. Expensive repair. Blog sites have many entries complaining of the same thing. This is a safety issue if my turn signals work on and off.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Mar 012010

Impala 6-cyl

I bought a 2001 Chevy Impala 1 week ago and now it will not accelerate over 30 miles an hour plus it cuts off when it reaches those miles. I had new spark plugs installed, wires, coil packs and a new fuel filter installed.

- Tuscaloosa, AL, USA

Feb 022010

Impala 6-cyl

2000-2005 Chevy Impala experience flickering interior lights and exterior lights, faulty dash gauges, no shifter signs on dash, no manual interior lighting or exterior lights, no crank or start. Was told that a bad BCM was the problem. (body control module) part# gmab166 is very old for the make of car the it was put in. There is a NHTSA bulletin out and GM refuse to fix it. Bulletin $ 010603005 and 110501. Because of this hazard I crashed my car into the back of another going 65 mph when the car just suddenly stalled and there wasn't adequate brake pressure to stop the car.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Nov 072009

On my 201 Impala, the turn signals sometime fail to operate - I have found that I can turn on the emergency signals and then disengage them to restart normal turn signals. Instrument lights also dim at times making it impossible to read speed or any other instruments - problems do not necessarily occur together but can and do at times - random in problem occurrence; mileage approx 144,000.

- Killingworth, CT, USA

Nov 272009

Passlock system failure intermittently. Car will not start for 10/15 min. I've been stranded late at night and in some bad weather. Dealership said they don't know what it is unless the problem happens at the garage, otherwise they don't know what the problem is. I've spent in the thousands of dollars. Have had BCM replaced, cylinders and sensors replaced. Still doesn't work. Dealership said they don't know what the problem is. There are many complaints on this problem. (see and look under electrical problems).

- Dunbar, WV, USA

Dec 032009

The contact owns a 2001 Chevy Impala. While driving the pass lock system light began flashing. When the pass lock system light flashed the radio turns off, the doors locks, the dome light flashed on and off, the truck lid opens, and sometimes the vehicle will shut off and will not restart. The fuse must be removed in order to restart the vehicle. The failure is currently causing the headlights to shut off intermittently while driving. The manufacturer informed the contact that they were unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The contact is concerned about the safety risk since a crash could occur due to the failure. The current and failure mileages were 150,000.

- Glide , OR, USA

Jul 012009

I have a 2001 Chevrolet Impala sedan. Without warning the turn signals stop working. If I stop the car and restart it, the signals usually start working again, but for how long? the mileage is 175,000. I went online and found that GM has identified that the hazard switch is the root cause. This switch is the same switch on several models. I went to chandler Chevrolet in tappahannock, va.GM will replace the hazard switch on the 2001 Malibu (this is the same switch that is in my car). Then the service manager said up to 150,000 miles. NHTSA investigation #peo2064 my other problem is that I have experienced right rear stop light failure. However the running tail light does work. At first the shop where I took it, reynolds garage in ottoman, va figured it was a burned out stop light element. Replacing the bulb did not bring the stop light back into service. Then we replaced the section of wiring harness. Still no luck. I left the car at the shop and Mr. Reynolds spent a lot of time on it w/O solving the problem. I wonder if this right rear stop light problem is related to the failed hazard switch and its weak solder joints. Thank you for listening. William E. steinmetz

- Lancaster, VA, USA

Oct 052009

Impala 6-cyl

My 2001 Impala with a 3.8 V-6 would not start after golf last Thursday, so I had it towed to a repair shop. The shop put in a new fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs and wires. The bill came to $900. I had the same problem various occasions over the next couple weeks and decided to look on the internet. This site popped up when I "searched stalls while driving" because the car started stalling occasionally while driving under just about any condition. I bought a new crankshaft position sensor from car quest installed it myself in less than an hour and haven't had any problems for about a week now. Thanks for the info.

- Clinton Twp., MI, USA

Oct 052009

Security light comes on, traction light comes on, RPM's drop to 0, gas drops to 0, constant draining of battery and is dead after 10 or so hours. Many people on forums are all complaining of the same thing and even mechanics say that this is a very common problem with these cars yet there is no recall! I have spent as of now 1000 dollars on this problem and my dealer is telling me that might not fix the problem completely!!! I have put in a new alternator, new battery, new BCM, and now a new ignition switch! I currently have the old BCM and the new one is in my car.

- Waconia, MN, USA

May 132009

Security light flashes and car will not start.

- Clark, NJ, USA

Jun 052009

I have a 2001 Chevrolet Impala. I have had my car since February of 2009 and it is a terrific car with the exception of the car cuts off in the middle of traffic, on the highway and anywhere it likes. I could be driving down the road and the car just cuts off. The battery light comes one and I turn the car switch off and back on and it starts up again. I have taken it to several places and no one seems to know what the problem is. This is very dangerous for a person to be driving and this happen to them. I have gone on the 2001 Chevrolet Impala website for recalls, defects, and other issues and there are sooo many Impala's with this same issue. I have three small children and this is not safe but it is my only source of transportation.

- Kenosha, WI, USA