7.6

2. replace bcm (3 reports)
  3. bcm bypass (1 reports)
  4. clean the 3 prongs and solder the wires directly to module (1 reports)
  5. replaced & reprogrammed BCM (1 reports)
2001 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Impala:

2001 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 112013

Impala LX 3.8L

AS WITH MANY COMPLAINTS IVE SEEN I HAVE A PASSLOCK ISSUE WHERE THE CAR WILL NOT START. BUT THE WHOLE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM IS BAD IN MY OPINION. OUR CAR SHUT DOWN WHILE DRIVING IT. WE LOST ALL POWER AND MECHANICS CAUSING US TO HAVE AN ACCIDENT INTO A PARKED CAR. THE AIR BAGS DID NOT DEPLOY YET THE IMPACT WAS GREAT ENOUGH TO TOTAL THE OTHER VEHICLE. WHILE OUR CAR STARTED RIGHT BACK UP I FEEL THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM IN THE IMPALAS IF FLAWED. I HAVE FIXED THE ISSUES AND MOVED ON BUT HERE WE GO AGAIN WITH THE PASSLOCK MALFUNCTIONING AGAIN. SO I GO TO THE DEALERSHIP AND THEY WANT 400.00 SO I CALL THE COMPANY AND THEY SAY THEY CAN NOT HELP WITH THE ISSUE THAT SO MANY OF THEIR VEHICLES. HAVE HAD TO JUST WAIT 10 MIN AND TRY TO START AGAIN OR REPLACE THE SENSOR AGAIN AT ANOTHER 400.00. SO I WOULD SAY 1 PAYCHECK EVERY 6 MONTHS IS PRETTY GOOD INCOME FOR THE DEALERSHIP TO FIX THE PROBLEM OVER AND OVER, OR SHOULD CHEVROLET STEP UP AND FIX THEIR FAULTY SYSTEM DESIGN.

- , Litchfield, Illinois, USA

May 232006

Impala 3.4L V6

Absolutely outrageous. We replaced the key cylinder, the bcm twice, ordered new keys from the VIN. This is THE worst design flaw i ave ever experienced in a car.

- , Seatle, WA, USA

Jul 012010

Impala 3.4L

Continual problems of no start - passlock problems. Began praying. Try removing 10 amp red fuse bottom right in panel - left of dashboard labelled CISTR/BCM and reinstall. This resets computer and has solved our problems. For convenience, we plugged in two wires instead of fuse and ran wires to a newly installed switch under dash for convenience. Don't forget - an in-line 10 amp fuse. We simply click switch on and off when we have problems (i.e. when car won't start). Has worked faithfully for two years. The idea came from Jesus, who my wife loves talking to - go figure :)

P.S. I charged her $5

- , Pontiac, Quebec, Canada

May 302011

Impala LS 3.4L

Got this car used of course in dec. 2007. Drove it back in forth to college 100 miles mon-thur. for about 6 months. It had 190,000 on it when I got it. First of all tires on this car are expensive and struts, brakes, rotors also. I have replaced brakes twice and put all four rotors on. Lost count on tires. At 210,000 the motor started knocking real bad and went out. No kidding 2 weeks later the transmission went too! So needless to say that's when I should of got rid of it but I'd put 1200 in it so I figured I would keep it awhile. The turn signal switch then quit. $250. Then it lasted for about 10,000.

My security light then started coming on then it finally stayed on. Then when it was warm outside I could hear I clicking in the dash and in the driver's side fuse panel. When this clicking would occur then my daytime running lights would flash and the air conditioning wouldn't work. Sometimes my automatic door locks wouldn't unlock when I would put it in park. Took it to the dealer and they run a diagnostic on it and come up with the BCM some kinda computer module thing and they replaced it and then it had to be reprogrammed which all this cost $331.

This car is nice when it's running right but seems like all I have done since is put $ in it I guess that's what I get for getting it used? Maybe it was a good car when it was new?

- , Queen City, MO, USA

Oct 222011

Impala ES 3.4L

well i think gm need's to recall the 2000 and newer chevy impala and fix the passlock sh*t I'm afraid to take my new car for a ride. It would not start at walmart today so now I'm afraid to go very far with it should have keep my 1998 ford contour that had over 200000 miles on it now i have a 2001 impala with a bad gas gauge and a no start when it want's to grow some ball's gm recall these car's and fix them be the hero like toyota was with there recall it no wonder gm is going broke

- , Gorham, NH, USA

Oct 072011

Impala LS 3.8L

The problem with your Passive security system is your car battery. I had this problem for a month with my car not starting and my security system not working properly and I took it to my auto repair guy and he told me with the 2001 Chevrolet Impalas with all the features you need a fully charged battery for every thing to work properly, and with GM security system if the battery is not fully charged your security system will not work properly. If not your battery, then your alternator may not be charging your battery enough and may need to be replaced. I had my battery replaced and I never had a problem with my Passive Security system again.

- , Saint Albans, New York, USA

Nov 012008

Impala LS 3.8L

This has to be the biggest heap of junk gm ever put out. When it gets hot outside. the air conditioning and the radio do not work. All I hear is an annoying click from a relay in the dashboard on the passenger side. The security light comes on, then the TC light comes on, then the battery light, the low coolant ,oil,brakes lights come on one after another.

Once in while the door locks do not work or the trunk release won't function. So I drive with the windows down and that seems to cool the interior of the car to a point where everything seems to fix itself. The car always starts and I have never been stranded with a no start. Once in a while, during the night, I can hear the car horn for a short burst with no reason for it. Or the headlights will flash.

I've taken it to the dealer and they say the after market remote starter is the problem. The remote starter was installed by the dealer when I bought the car and have put over 60000 kms without a problem. So I had the remote starter removed by the dealer and the problem is still there.The ignition switch has been replaced, the pcm reprogrammed and I still have the problem.

Anyway, I have always owned chevy's from day 1. I presently have an impala and a malibu.The major problem I have with the car is that I can't even trade it in for another as no dealers want the vehicle. Unfortunately I will not be purchasing anymore GM products as they do not stand behind them.

- , Montreal, Quebec, canada

May 012004

Impala YES 6 cyl

ok..the security light/battery light on the dash flashes...when i turn the key to the start position..nothing..at all...i have been late for work..stranded at the store..my wifes been late for work...the gm dealership said they've never heard of this problem'...i cant believe it hasn't been recalled after all these same complaints..anyways..after about 30 minutes it starts up no problem..like nothing at all had happened..then it'll be ok for a few weeks..then without warning, it does it again..at the most inopportune times. is there a recall?..does anyone know?..I've talked to people with Malibus that report the same problem..the anti theft kicks in for no apparent reason and the car will not turn over. im mad as hell and will not buy another gm car again.

- , Buffalo, NY, USA

Jun 012010

Impala LX 3.4L V6

will put big yellow lemons on car and put on internet after i call newschannels car is possessed it now locks me in the car and windows wont roll down car wont start lights flash awful clicking noise in the glovebox i am becoming afraid of the car my family all knows if i am found dead in car that the heat killed me because the car won't let me out and they are to sue the chev corp.

- , El Reno, OK, USA

Jul 042010

Impala

this car is a big piece of sh*t. i call it the ten minute car, because if you have to be anywhere add ten minutes. the problem first started about 6 years ago and progressively has become worse. if the key isn't read in the ignition right away you get locked out for ten minute.(leave ignition in the on position for car to cycle through, then exactly ten minutes later it will start. shut ignition off then start) i have taken it to "experts" to get fixed and they are clueless. as our friend from Canada said it happens more so when it is hot and humid, of course who want to sit in a car when its 100 degrees outside. one day it happened four times in one day, i have gotten to the point where i leave the car running and take the remote with me so i can keep the car running. Chevy really f*cked up on this one. i will never own another Chevy.

- , Panama City, FL, USA

Jun 222010

Impala 3.3L

car does this all the time. runs great stupid security system never works. leaves me sitting at work waiting for it to start. had passlock fixed before never lasts. chevy should fix this as many people as there have been with the problem. it costs to much to fix to keep doing. sitting for 15 minutes is a pain. i will never buy another chevy. its a shame because we have had many, but no more.

- , Addison, NY, USA

May 012010

Impala LS 3.8L

Not sure with this because of the low miles.Can it be reset?

- , Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Sep 152008

Impala 3.4L

i bought this car from a used car lot with a reputable reputation..the first day i brought it home and parked in the driveway and turned it off and then try to restart it it didn't restart..my husband thought it was a poor connection with the battery terminal so he cleaned it and it still didn't fix it because two weeks later the security light flashed when i was driving down the road and after i parked and went in the store the car wouldn't start ... it was cold and i had my mother and four year old son in the car and we were stuck in the parking lot ...general motors really needs to recall this car ! it is a big inconvenience and im afraid to leave because im not sure when it might happen again it happened two to three times in one week

- , Lincoln Park, MI, USA

Mar 252010

Impala V6

I wish i would have found this site a few months ago before i purchased my impala. Sometimes when i go to start it nothing, light work and so does the radio but it will not start or even try to turn over. I have to wait 10 minutes and try again and that so far is the trick. A huge problem as it has made me late to work twice. After seeing all the others with the same issue I cannot believe Chevy has not voluntarily recalled! I have signed every petition I could find and filed a complaint with NHTSA. Looks like my last Chevy.

- , Howell, MI, USA

Nov 182009

Impala

The problem is in the switch itself, I just fixed my car yesterday, and it starts everytime now, simply remove the dash trim, and remove the metal bracket on the steering column, then remove the two screws to remove the switch, there are 3 wires going into the switch, black wire, white wire, yellow wire, the trick here is that you must get the car started first, but wait until you have removed the switch first, now while the car is running cut the yellow wire going into the switch,this is the security wire,your security and abs light will stay on always, but your car should start everytime, the three prongs inside the switch are not getting a good connection, therefore is sending false signals to the bcm telling the computer that the car is being stolen activating the security system, that's why you get the odd no start at time and the buzzing noise, when you press the brakes and use the turn signal at the same time, if your power locks don't work, you can either take the switch apart and clean the 3 prongs and solder the wires directly to module, this will fix the whole problem all together, but I opted to just cut the yellow wire, which is faster, and I really didn't care about the locks I just wanted my car to start for right now, later on I will clean the prongs now that i know what the problem really is, Hope this helps you guys,it helped me now i'm a happy Chevy owner once again, if this works for you shoot me an e-mail and let me know, tgteegee2@gmail.com

- , Gainesville, Georgia, USA

Feb 122010

Impala LS 3.8L V6

Car will not always start and problem is intermittent. Wait 10-15 minutes and try to start again. Sometimes this will work other times wait another 10-15 minutes. This has been happening since 2007. Has been a major inconvenience and has made my wife and I both on occasion late to work and other appointments!

I have noticed right after the Security light on dash comes on and then goes off the car starts. So I assume is related to the Passlock Security System.

- , Saint Joseph, MN, USA

Dec 022009

Impala

Really like the car and it has been very dependable overall - just minor electrical oddities that cost big $.

- , Gladewater, Texas, USA

Nov 102008

Impala 3.4L

Just to give u guess a heads up i had n 01 impala i loved the car always started nothing ever major wrong with it . But i did have a problem with the passlock 2 . But i could take my key out when i was driving . It was like that when i bought it . But the security light was coming on every now and then . I thought nothing of it cause the car worked fine . But then my locks were not working when i pushed the button on the inside . So that was annoying . But i went to the bone yard and pulled a bcm that was in another impala like mine same motor accessories . And i plugged it in my car and low and behold my locks worked . All i did was program my key with that brain box and everything worked and no security light ever came on again . But you can go to your local dealer and they can print out the steps to program it . Go to parts counter . Good luck !

- , Hammond, IN, USA

Jun 092004

Impala 3.4L

tHIS IS REALLY A BAD PROBLEM, YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN THE CAR IS NOT GOING TO START AND GOD FORBID IF YOU REALLY NEED TO BE SOMEWHERE IMPORTANT. WHY DONT GM FIX THIS PROBLEM, I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER GM AGAIN!!!

- , Marion, Alabama, USA

Apr 012009

Impala 3.4L V6

I have no clue what is triggering this. I took my car in to get some work done to it, now the security system is constantly getting tripped. Sometimes comes on steady while I'm driving, sometimes I go to start the car and it flashes with the battery symbol and I have to sit and wait for the damn thing to reset itself.

- , Gladstone, MO, USA