2002 Chevrolet Impala engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Impala:

2002 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Nov 302011

Impala

First of all I started experiencing the problem with the Security Lock soon after I got the car in January of 2010. I thought it was my battery at first but then I thought it can't be the battery because the lights still came on and the radio. I had no clue what the problem was so I took it back down the the Chevy Dealership and they informed me that it was some kind of a Security Lock Switch that was gonna cost me about $265.00 to fix! I could not afford that at the time so I found a way to get my car to start up when I got the stupid Security Light flashing at me. I would just sit there and play around with my key for 10 - 15 minutes and finally it would start which is a huge pain in the butt when I have to be somewhere or it's too hot or too cold....not to mention I now have a newborn riding with me. SMH!

I paid the car off exactly a year later in January of 2011 & then about a week later I had a leak in the Intake Manifold Gasket which cost me damn near $1000.00 to fix and I wasn't a happy camper not to mention my car started overheating shortly after I had that repaired. The radiator cracked & the fans stopped working which caused my car to overheat again so of course I had to have that fixed ASAP. That cost me $516.00.

Now the problem I had which was last week Wednesday my car overheated AGAIN on my way to work. The red light came on so I knew this was urgent because it read HOT COOLANT TEMP. I pulled over not knowing too much about cars I checked my anti-freeze & my oil. I started her up again & tried to make it to work but it still overheated on me! :( The towtruck showed up & took my car to the shop. They replaced the water pump which burst & the balancer went out as well. They replaced the thermostat as well and the piece of crap still ran hot. I was told I blew a head gasket and I need to get another engine which is EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE to get. I priced a new engine which is worth more than the car itself at this point so it's not even worth getting a brand new one. I have been looking for a used rebuilt one which is gonna cost me about $800.00 or more that's not even including the labor which is another $800.00. I'm so sick and tired of dealing with the BS that this lemon is putting me through but I really don't want to get rid of it being that I just paid it off and had a new baby in August. I don't know what else to do but get it fixed but I'm afraid to get it fixed and then something else goes wrong with the lemon. I will NEVER EVER EVER buy another Chevy again!!!!!!!!!!

- , Ridgeland, SC, USA