2002 Chevrolet Impala fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Impala:

2002 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Apr 252016

I just bought this 2002 Chevy Impala for my son for his graduation. The previous owners seem to take great care of this car and the only issue it had was the gas gauge was not accurate. It fluctuates between full and empty. This week it seems to be stuck on full, but every now and then come down to empty then right back to full. We have my son drive my younger boys back and forth to school and he drives long distances to go to his army trainings. It has become an issue for him to remember how much gas is in the tank. And has become a worry for me that he might get stranded somewhere due to no gas. After reviewing the complaints it sounds like we are not the only ones with this issue. Hope the manufacturer does something about this soon.

- Wilder, ID, USA

Jan 082016

Security passlock not allowing car to start. Fuel regulator faulty not getting fuel to start car. Once I get vehicle started I can cut car off and try to restart, car will not start. Issue needs to be resloved.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Jun 112014

Impala 6-cyl

My vehicle has a faulty electrical start up system and fuel pump system the battery on this vehicle was replaced and the starter was replaced as well and the vehicle still is experiencing the same problems. I took the vehicle to be serviced at a mechanic shop and the vehicle worked perfectly fine for the mechanic at the time and they were unable to make any repairs because the vehicle didn't perform the issue in front of the mechanic. The issue has been going on since June of 2014 and it randomly wont start at all and then its starts hours and hours later. I have spent hundreds of dollars replacing parts on this car that deal with starting issues and still this car is experiencing the same difficulties. I have been stranded numerous places with this vehicle refusing to start. I am aware that this vehicle has a recall out for key ignition electrical switch and fuel pump pressure all of which fit the problems my vehicle is experiencing the recall that is available to my vehicle doesn't include either one of these and I personally feel it should include these because multiple mechanics who have inspected the car have confirmed these are the issues this car is experiencing I don't have hundreds of dollars to keep installing and making repairs on this car only to have it keep breaking down I am in need of assistance to figure out if I can get this vehicle under the other recalls as well please and thank you.

- Daytona Beach , FL, USA

Jun 062012

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the fuel gauge became inoperative. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who stated that the fuel gauge would need to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Warrenton , MO, USA

Oct 092003

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the float inside the fuel tank became inoperable. The vehicle fuel gauge was reading inaccurate amounts of fuel and the low fuel gauge warning light was constantly illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or an independent mechanic for diagnosis or repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000.

- Elsburry, MO, USA

Jan 082013

Impala 6-cyl

I put a new fuel pressure sensor in and now my 02 Impala wont start and not getting any power to fuel pump now, we are a car lot and this car has been sitting unable to start now for over 2 weeks, had many certified mechanics from our area observe the problem, including 2 certified Chevrolet mechanics, and none have come up with a solution. Just don't make sense, I am sure Chevrolet is aware of the problem so please let me know what the problem is so I can have it repaired so we can sell the car.

- Evansville , IN, USA

Mar 012013

The car will not crank immediately. Once started if your foot is not on the gas the car will completely shut off. Cannot take foot off the gas when driving or shifting gears or it stalls.

- Longs, SC, USA

Dec 052012

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while parked the fuel gauge reading fluctuated from full to empty. The failure occurred intermittently. Additionally, the headlights would not illuminate when the contact turned the exterior switch to the on position. The contact also noticed the multifuntion window switch would not operate any of the windows when the exterior lighting was not operating. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated the sending unit relay would have to be replaced to repair the fuel gauge failure. The multi function switch would have to be replaced the repair the electrical failure with the exterior lighting and windows. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 112,000.

- Orlando, FL, USA