3.4

2002 Chevrolet Impala lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Impala:

2002 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 272005

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. While traveling to jackson, fl., the contact was stopped by a police officer and was informed that her headlight was flickering. She took the vehicle to a local dealer in Florida and they informed her that the entire headlight housing on both sides of the vehicle needed to be replaced. The vehicle is out of warranty; therefore, the repairs would cost $1,000. The contact could not provide the failure mileage; however, she noticed that the failure has worsened over the past three years. The current mileage was 63,000.

- Oakman, AL, USA

May 162007

Impala

I have a 2002 Chevy Impala ls as of 05-16-08 the headlights blink on and off. On 05-18-08 they went completely out while driving at night. The following evening I only have high beam lights, no low beam. I can drive in low light or dark conditions. Local mechanic stated it was the multi switch on the steering column and the part was $300-$400 dollars. He stated that he has had many Impala customers with the same issue and he stated that it should be a recall due to the safety issue.

- Hyden , KY, USA

Mar 092008

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. While driving various speeds at night, the exterior lighting of the vehicle would fail without warning. The lights would then spontaneously illuminate again. The dealer has not yet been notified and the vehicle has not been repaired. The contact researched the NHTSA website and discovered numerous complaints regarding this failure. The failure and current mileages were 138,000. Updated 04/21/08 updated 04/21/08

- Lakin, KS, USA

Jan 042008

Impala 6-cyl

2002 Impala. Have a build up of water in both front headlights, this problem is on going for at least two years..very hard to see at night. High beams will not turn on with multi shifter and cruise control shuts off after a few minutes of use. Dealer states this is all normal. This last problems with cruise control is a new problem.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Oct 162006

Impala 6-cyl

The head lights on my 2002 Impala are getting water in them causing electrical and safety problems. Steam - moisture gather in the lights and we are not able to see the road. This ia a defect that is on every 2002-2003 Impala I have seen, GM refuses to replace or even recognize the problem, they and the dealer I purchased from said its not considered a defect unless it is a recall, I was told until a major accident happens that they will not consider it a safety issue. I told them when the lights get hot the water in the head lights turn to steam fogging up the lights preventing me from seeing the road when driving at night, they (the dealership) said well you should drive only during the day. This is also causing other electrical problems with turn signals not working sometimes and hazards not working not to mention having to replace a bulb everytime it gets wet. This happens all the time when we wash our car or get into bad weather. I believe this should be a recall... GM refuses to handle this problem until we have multiple fatal accidents around the country? not smart there are alot of people on our streets and highways that are being put at risk.

- Ontario, CA, USA

Oct 172007

Impala 6-cyl

In reading NHTSA action number : PE06017 - I want to report that I have the same problem with my 2002 Chevrolet Impala - the headlights fail without prediction.

- Columbus, NE, USA

Nov 292007

Impala 6-cyl

Headlights suddenly go out while driving at night. It is in at the dealer now for the second time in a week. This could kill or injure someone. I just purchased the car a month ago (2002 Chevrolet Impala).

- Piqua, OH, USA

Jun 012005

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that she was unable to start the vehicle and the trunk and door locks failed to work. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of failure. The contact believed that the failure was caused by the anti-theft system. She has reprogrammed the anti-theft system. The failure has occurred approximately six times. The windshield on a clear day caused blurred vision. The dealer replaced the windshield, the failure did not continue. While driving 70 mph the headlights began to blink. The dealer was unable to determine the cause of the failure. The current mileage was 60,000 and failure mileage was 40,000.

- Canton, MI, USA

Jan 152007

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. While driving at any rate of speed, the head lights would shut off without warning. The contact stated he would have to turn headlights from high to low, to get them to illuminate. The dealer stated that they have never heard of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 46,000.

- Robesonia, PA, USA

May 102007

Impala 4-cyl

Headlamps and interior lighting appeared to have a short in them. Have been traveling at night at 55 mph and dimmed the lights for oncoming traffic when all lights except the fog lights completely went out. Continuous fiddling with switches finally made them come back on. Also, lights will not always come on at night without continuous fiddling with switches. Occurs 5 days out of 7 in every week.

- Bainbridge, GA, USA

Aug 192006

Impala 6-cyl

- the contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The headlights on the vehicle worked intermittently. If the dimmer switch is pressed the lights will turn on. The failure mileage was 60,000. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by a repair shop. The current mileage was 81,000 miles.

- Marshfield, WI, USA

Feb 152007

Impala 6-cyl

2002 Chevrolet Impala ls. Headlights shut off while driving. They come back on when you activate the high/low beam lever. No accidents or injury have occurred. Took to dealer and was quoted $400-$600 to fix it. I have ordered a body control module to try to fix it myself.

- Brazil, IN, USA

Jan 102007

Impala 6-cyl Diesel

- the contact has a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that when closing the hood it pressed the rubber above the headlights into the top of the headlights, and caused water to leak into the headlights. There was always water in the headlights which caused the headlights to be dim and not to perform at highest potential. Also, the contact stated that the paint was coming off of the turn signal due to the water. The headlights were becoming dimmer and dimmer. Update 4/9

- Elmira Heights, NY, USA

Nov 212006

Impala 6-cyl

Headlights went out while driving at night. Flicking the high-beam switch restored the lights. I just looked in the ODI database & discovered a closed investigation (PE06017). It was pitch dark & raining outside, luckily I was in a rural area & no other cars around. I could have been killed. I'm glad to know you can restore lights by manipulating the multi-function switch but what if the driver doesn't know to do this! a recall is really in order, if for no other reason than to alert people to the potential risk so they know what to do if it happens.

- Barhamsville, VA, USA

May 012006

Impala 6-cyl

Moisture in drivers side headlight. It never dries out. Makes driving at night on that side hard to see. Talked to dealer, was not covered under warranty. Could not afford $450 to repair.

- Loves Park, IL, USA

May 072006

Impala 6-cyl

Complete headlight failure, while driving at night. Could not get headlights to come on. This has happened a few times. Very concerned for my safety.

- Englewood, FL, USA

Apr 212006

Impala 6-cyl

Front headlight sealed units leak and allow moisture to collect inside which reduces the effectiveness of the light emanating from the lamps.

- Coram, NY, USA

May 312006

Impala 6-cyl

: the contact stated the headlights failed without warning. The dealership was unable to duplicate the problem. The manufacturer has been alerted. Updated 6/16/2006 - when the high beams were used the dash lights went dark.

- York, PA, USA

Jan 282006

Impala 6-cyl

1-28-06, while driving at night, the headlights on my 2002 Chevy Impala went out. We flashed the dimmer/bright switch and they came on. This happened 3-4 times over the next 3 months. We thought we had a wiring problem. Then in late April, my car just quite running, while going down the road. It started back up, but it then was our cue to have it fixed. The car was still under warranty to we took it back to the dealership for repair. I had to take it back a second time because the problem wasn't fixed, the lights went out again. At this point, may, 2006, since it is daylight for more hours of the day, we don't drive a lot at night so I haven't noticed it happening again. On 5-30-06 I heard on a news report that you have received 15 complaints of headlights going out on Chevy Impala, I wanted to add another complaint to that.

- Portland, MI, USA

May 122006

Impala 6-cyl

Head light popped out of place as I was riding down the road one evening. One worked but one did not. I took it to a local service station in my hometown. The owner looked at it and said he could see why it may have happened because the seal looked as if it had been broken from around the light. He said this could possibly be caused from the fact that it was not a proper seal and seemed to shrink because of exposure to the sun. He also said that he couldn't believe it had not been recalled. I chose to get it fixed to keep from getting a ticket for a damaged headlight.

- Opp, AL, USA